PDA

View Full Version : Airshows - stoopid question.

Synthetic
3rd Jul 2008, 21:52
Sorry, but I'm not quite sure where to post this - Mods, please move as apropriate (but preferably not to jetblast).

I have been going to airshows for over fourty years, and since Mrs Synth became Mrs Synth, she has been going to them as well. On the way home from Biggin Hill this year, she asked me how they are financed.

Er

Um

:(

I had to confess I had no idea. I assume some are done on a charitable basis, and others are to some extent comercial ventures. I assume that the RAF and other air forces have a budget for displays, probably under Public Relations or some such.

Could someone put me straight?

ShyTorque
3rd Jul 2008, 23:14
Did you pay to get in? :E

NutLoose
4th Jul 2008, 14:41
Yep as said payment to get in etc and the show brochure they sell, also advertising and the money the stalls have to pay out to be there, one reason why food costs more as they need to recoup the charges....

Aircraft also charge for displaying, this can vary from nothing through to full costs or down to free fuel and Oxygen etc ....... you couldn't afford to do it otherwise with the likes of private Spits etc.

RIAT donates to the RAF charitable trusts I believe, but it is not that much when you think of the total costs involved and gate revenues..

When you look at the revenue which is over £5,000,000 and the costs involved in doing it all which is over £4,000,000 and the charity gets some £300,000 out of it, that puts it into perspective.

see the accounts here

http://www.airtattoo.com/Assets/Files/Trust/RAFCT%20R&As%202007.pdf

Synthetic
4th Jul 2008, 21:58
Did you pay to get in? :E

At my age the pole vault option is largely obviated so I did indeed come to a pecuniary settlement with the organisers:}

Thanks NL - that more or less answers the question - I was wandering more about the various Military displays.

creamegg
5th Jul 2008, 07:11
Im off to the waddington air show today, lets hope it doesnt pee down all day! The vulcan has been practising over my house for last cpl of days, as have spitfires and hurricanes, red arrows we see all the time. Should be a good day though!

£20 per adult or £16 if bought beforehand.

Capot
5th Jul 2008, 15:22
I was responsible, in a sense, for airshows in 4 successive years in the 1980's...

We gave a concession to a professional organiser who paid us a percentage of the gross income, ie the risk was all his. We provided an operational airfield with lots of car parking areas, good access, and lots of cooperation.

He earned income from

Concessions....food, clothing, local radio stand, aviation tat, etc, stand rental fees.

Gate takings/parking fees (one payment)

er, that's it, I think.

He paid for:

Our percentage

Displays (Often including transport, accommodation, and so on for pilots and support teams)

Police and Local Authority charges, St John attendance, etc.

PL Insurance, (very heavy.)

and probably lots more, eg fuel for displays?

In a good year he would clean up. In a bad year he took a big hit. Weather was the key, of course, affecting the displays and the gate.

Intruder
5th Jul 2008, 15:42
that more or less answers the question - I was wandering more about the various Military displays.
Do you pay taxes? ;)

Some displays come from recruiting/publicity budgets, some from training budgets (planes & crews gotta fly anyhow, so why not to a display at the crew's home town?).