PDA

View Full Version : Pre employment medical

iain32
3rd Jul 2008, 16:57
Hi
Ive been accepted for an apprenticeship with Rolls Royce and i am required to go for a medical. I wanted to know what is involved in this?

Thanks

BAe146s make me cry
3rd Jul 2008, 18:13
I've been subjected to 3 medical checkups in my career as a Tech.

Most firms require a general checkup including eyesight/colourblindness, hearing, and perhaps a disclosure on your part of any significant health problem, hereditary or otherwise. A tick the box list for the HR dept.

In practice, it won't be as in depth as Flight Crew...

Report back to us what they required, RR might push you for an IQ test!
(Only joking:E)

Good luck

BAe146??? :{:{:{

JSaeroengineer
3rd Jul 2008, 19:40
I've also got one soon for Virgin.
From what I've heard it's general health check, as mentioned by BAE and apparently sometimes it's a 'pee in the cup' to check for drugs or whatever.

BAe146s make me cry
4th Jul 2008, 22:18
Bedtime reading

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP455.PDF

Refer to AWN 47 in this link...

Alcohol & drugs testing actually remains dormant in the UK.

It's assumed by our competent authority we are all teetotal.
And maintain watch over other personnel's behaviour.
Under the USA's FAR 145, things are slightly different...

Any USA based AMTs able to advise these youngsters?

BAe146???:{:{:{

N1 Vibes
6th Jul 2008, 01:40
iaian32

as mentioned this will be a general medical. When I joined RR many moons ago, they would do a hernia check - to see if you had any weakness of your abdomen muscles, due to engineering will require heavy lifting at some point. This involves a doctor feeling the left and right side of your groin, between your belly button and your wedding-tackle, while you cough, to see if their are any weak spots.

Good Luck,

N1 Vibes

NutLoose
6th Jul 2008, 10:58
Will ask some friends on Monday for you who work for RR Derby :ok:

MrMark757
6th Jul 2008, 11:26
About the same here in the US. But they will also ask you demo picking up a 50 LB + object off the floor. Some like CAL even put you on a physical therapy machine and measure your back muscle fitness. A friend of mine a year ago had a tough time at it - still he got hired.