PDA

View Full Version : Cafe's and Cookies

sprocket
16th Apr 2001, 05:11
Using Other Computers

I will be doing some travelling in a few weeks, so I want to know a couple of things about using other computers on my travels (internet café’s etc) as I have never done this before.

First up (with reference to internet cafe’s), is the question regarding using my password to get into pprune. Will the computer keep a record in the form a cookie, of my password/username?

Secondly, if the answer my first question is ‘yes’, can I delve in to the computer in question and delete the cookies that are gathered during my time on the net?
If not, what are my rights as to the ownership of my password/username?

------------------
sprocket: .. No standards? Nooo problems!

OzPax1
16th Apr 2001, 06:38
sprocket

Yes, the internet cafe computer/s may be set up to 'remember' cookies. The best thing to do to protect your PPruNe password is to do the following when you have finished your session on the cafe's PC:-

1) Click on the Tools Menu at the top of the page.

2)Scroll down too and then left click on Internet Options.

3)A window should appear make sure you are in the general tab (should go to that tab by default anyway)

4)In Temporary Internet files click on the 'Delete files' button. That should get rid of the password cookies.

5)Also on the same page click on the 'Clear History' button. That should erase any copies of your vist to PPRUNE in the address bar.

Hope that was of some help.

OzPax1 http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

sprocket
16th Apr 2001, 10:41
OzPax1

Thanks mate, so the café’ owners don’t mind you doing ‘cookie removal’ from their computers?

------------------
sprocket: .. No standards? Nooo problems!

Background Noise
16th Apr 2001, 12:26
If you click 'preferences' (at the top right of each page) you get an option to:

Click here to delete all cookies set by this forum!

Will that do it?

sprocket
16th Apr 2001, 13:55
Thanks Background, that will do it just fine and dandy. I'd forgotten that option was there.

OzPax1
16th Apr 2001, 21:46
So had I!! :)

OzPax1 http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif