PDA

View Full Version : Southeast Asia / Australia/ Middle East gain vs US loss

flightknight
3rd Jul 2008, 15:58
Furloughs and instability in the US airline industry will create an exodus of highly experienced pilots to Southeast Asia, Australia and the middle east which still have a shortage of experienced pilots.
Nationwide, flight schools have seen a dramatic drop in local students. So, how will this trend affect the future of the airline industry in general ???.

flightknight
4th Jul 2008, 00:37
http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_9773648

ZFT
6th Jul 2008, 06:43
The ‘problem’ is global. Asian carriers are feeling the same pain and cutbacks across the board are unfortunately inevitable. IMHO the anticipate pilot shortage has been delayed by quite a few years unless a dramatic collapse of the oil price materializes.

I don’t know the Australian situation but would suspect they too are feeling the pain.

flightknight
29th Jul 2008, 17:25
Airline crunch creates a windfall for local carriers | smh.com.au (http://business.smh.com.au/business/airline-crunch-creates-a-windfall-for-local-carriers-20080729-3mt8.html)

flightknight
9th Aug 2008, 21:39
Local airlines see “silver linings” in the collapse of international airlines, as an increasing number of US pilots are applying for jobs in Australia.

Qantas’s budget subsidiary Jetstar and Tiger Airways said it has become easier to recruit pilots from overseas, offsetting the pilot shortage in Australia.

“The cycle has thrown up some opportunities, and right now I’m probably getting 50 applications a day from US-based pilots saying, ‘Give us a job’,” Tiger’s chief executive Tony Davis told the Sydney Morning Herald.

“A year ago, we were predicting the complete opposite and people like us would be running around the world saying, ‘Where do you get pilots?’”

Over 20 airlines worldwide have either shut down or filed for bankruptcy protection in the first half of this year, with major carriers grounding more than 460 aircraft.

The surge of international pilots is expected to counter the acute shortage of pilots in Australia, which has hit regional airlines such as Regional Express and QantasLink hard, forcing them to slash services and source foreign pilots using 457 visas.

“We are optimistic that this challenge we are going through will create more opportunities than threats,” Mr Davis said.

“There are silver linings in some of these clouds

tandlnews.com.au

boardpig
26th Aug 2008, 05:53
Fair enough,

Come here and work for Davis and his mob as a FO at $42k AUD a year. (you wont even be able to afford to live in any of the major cities let alone feed yourself.) Then work long enough to grad to CPT at $60K year and you may then just be able to afford to rent somewhere near the major hubs here.
Unfortunately there is no pilot shorrtage in Australia, just a shortage of operators who pay well and don't treat you like crap.
Check out the threds on REX and Qlink, see what I mean, It's a dsgrace!

Good luck though ;-)

BP

Sue Ridgepipe
30th Aug 2008, 05:48
Come here and work for Davis and his mob as a FO at $42k AUD a year.

Well the pay might not be great, but you could at least tell the truth. I don't work for Tiger, but surely an f/o must be earning at least $70-80k pa, if not more.

Otherwise they wouldn't have any pilots at all. No one would work for that sort of $$, even Rex and QLink pay more than that for a turbo prop F/O.

johnnyramjet
20th Sep 2008, 06:55
starskate, I did the FAA to Casa ATPL conversion in the mid 90's and it was 3 written exams and a flight test. CASA also transfered my FAA 737 command onto my new Aussie ATPL. Hope that helps, JRJ

Sunstar320
29th Sep 2008, 03:35
Dont worry guys, Tiger certianly does not pay their Pilots 42k. F/O are about 100k and Captain about 160/170

FlyingCroc
29th Sep 2008, 16:58
I have an A320 rating JAR and FAA. :p

B772
5th Oct 2008, 13:49
Let me see:

Virgin Australia looking for B777 DEC's, Copilots and cruise Copilots. Tiger and possibly Jetstar (Qantas subsidiary) looking for Airbus experience. Compared to the rest of the world it appears Australia may escape the Depression heading for the U.S in 2009.