PDA

View Full Version : Converting .avi Files to Domestic DVD

Tosh McCaber
3rd Jul 2008, 11:53
Does anyone know of a programme to convert .avi movie files to DVD Video, suitable for burning via Nero, etc., so that the finished DVD can be viewed on a domestic DVD player hooked up to my tele? I’ve tried a couple, but seem to end up with video_ts and audio_ts folders displayed on the tele DVD player, which then won’t open up. Also, sometimes I end up with video_TS.vob and audio_TS.vob files. I’m confused!

Deaf Tortoise
3rd Jul 2008, 12:29
I hope the Mods don't regard this as advertising, since i have absolutely nothing to do with this program, but I found "ConvertXtoDvd" worked just fine. It does take some time, and needs relatively expensive Blank DVDs.

Very occasionally you might get a sound sync. issue, but that's about all.

However, another layer of conversion means lowering the image quality that you end up watching. Hardware decoding would avoid this completely, and save time.

If you didn't mind treating yourself to another DVD player, there are a couple of very slim and neat models by Sony that will play .Avi Divx and Xvid amongst others. Only £50 and amazingly good.

Just burn the original .Avi file onto a cheap blank CD with Nero, and pop it straight into the machine. Brilliant!

Background Noise
3rd Jul 2008, 12:54
Nero should be able to burn a playable DVD from those video_ts files. Sounds like you are converting the avi and ending up with the ts files on the disc? Try copying those video and audio_ts folders on to the hard disc then use nero, vis the create DVD video function, to make a DVD.

Also have a look at this: digitalFAQ.com | Burn DVD Files in Nero (http://www.digitalfaq.com/dvdguides/authorburn/nerodvd/nerodvd.htm)

Mr Grumps
3rd Jul 2008, 20:03
Nero will burn a tv playable dvd straight from avi files. Just create a dvd and import the file you want. Then hit next until it burns a dvd. I do it all the time but usually stop to create a menu on the way.

HandyAndy
4th Jul 2008, 00:12
I'll second ConvertXtoDvd. Works everytime for me and quire easy to use.
Even works without fuss on this Vista laptop!

Tosh McCaber
4th Jul 2008, 20:49
Thanks for all the replies so far. Mr. Grumps, I'm intrigued that it's posible to create a tv playable dvd straight from avi files. Can you run through the procedure in a little more detail? For example, which of the Nero programmes do you use, etc?

Thanks,

Tosh

Mr Grumps
5th Jul 2008, 09:05
I use Nero vision. I open it and then go to make dvd video. This opens a window to import files. Import the file you want and follow the next button to create menus etc finally getting to the button to burn dvd. Nero will the convert to the correct format and then burn to dvd.
I've used this probably a hundred times for avi files ( I download a lot of films which usually come as avi files) and also for files from my camcorder. the dvds created in this way even play on my old dvd player which won't even accept recorded cds. It works well.

Tosh McCaber
5th Jul 2008, 19:30
Thanks, Mr. G

Mr Grumps
6th Jul 2008, 14:21
Not a problem. Hope you get your dvds done OK.

dazdaz
7th Jul 2008, 14:57
I fail to see the problem you are encountering? Being a 'man of the world' I've downloaded countless .avi files to my HD:E Used ArcSoft ShowBiz2 to burn on DVD, plays ok on my cheapo Bush DVD player/recorder

Daz