PDA

View Full Version : Qantas engineer dispute

Passagiata
21st Jun 2008, 05:53
Item from news site crikey.com may be of interest ...

5 . Flying on Qantas next week? You might want to read this
Ben Sandilands writes:

If this week is any guide, next week’s rolling stop work meetings by Qantas ground engineers will make flying on the airline hell.

On Tuesday just after midnight a 747, QF2 made an emergency return landing at London Heathrow after smoke filled the cabin, and the pilots, wearing oxygen masks, dumped 77 tonnes of fuel on the way back.

On Wednesday a domestic Qantas 767 docked at Sydney with smoke pouring out of a defective undercarriage. And while delays blamed on overtime bans by ground engineers crippled the timetable, several jets were flown abroad empty, apparently to get the minimum maintenance needed for them to legally re-enter passenger service.

Get used to minimum maintenance. The reason Qantas can’t fly to schedule is that it dare not knowingly break the rules on the legal minimums without being liable for criminal prosecutions potentially far more serious than systematically stealing from its freight clients through illegal price fixing.

A late Qantas jet should be a safe Qantas jet. Assuming the managers who are standing in for engineers know what they are doing.

This coming week is critical to the dispute between Qantas and its licensed engineers and mechanics. If Qantas finds a way to replace them root and branch, which is one of the rumours going around, it will cost way more than giving in to demands for a 5% rather than 3% pay rise for each of the next three years. And if a screw up kills a jetload of passengers it costs them "everything".

Or maybe not. It is an unpleasant reality that in any airline there is a team that calculates and manages risk. Including the risk of loosing a "hull", a pseudonym for several hundred people wrapped in aluminium, say once every ten or twenty years versus the terrible inefficiencies of the no-longer fashionable cultures of "excessive" excellence in flight and operational standards that built the world’s leading carriers, including Qantas.

The cost of compliance with regulations is one of the few areas left, other than labor "reforms", where savings can be made.

CASA is holding the line. An email received this morning from within the safety regulator says:

Were keeping a close eye on all that is going on in Qantas. We are making it clear to them that the standards set down in their manuals and the regulations must be met at all times.

There are no short cuts being granted. It is up to Qantas to manage this situation but we will take appropriate action if standards are not met.

blueloo
21st Jun 2008, 06:06
Surely Dixon should do what the JAL CEO did when he brought JALs name into disrepute with falling safety standards.

Unfortunately Dixon has no moral standards, ethics or pride.

Stagger Lee
3rd Jul 2008, 05:04
Well if the rumors about Dixon resigning this month are true there may be hope yet

PJ2
3rd Jul 2008, 05:13
At least the CASA is paying attention... "SMS" will solve that inconvenience in Canada.

airsupport
3rd Jul 2008, 22:47
Assuming the managers who are standing in for engineers know what they are doing.

I truly hope that they do.

When I read things like this I cannot help remembering back just over 40 years ago when I was an Apprentice.

The LAMEs had one of their very rare strikes, and we Apprentices had to keep working (not allowed to strike) along side these Staff Engineers.

They were qualified to certify for any and all of the work on the Aircraft, but didn't normally of course as they were now office workers, it was truly scary as we Apprentices had to show them how to do even very basic things like fuelling and changing bulkheads etc, never mind actual Maintenance. :uhoh:

ALAEA Fed Sec
4th Jul 2008, 00:09
Management strike breakers were deployed on Australian tarmacs from our first stoppage several weeks ago. The first aircraft pushout they attempted was done with main gear chocks still in place. Airccraft were dispatched with open defects and engine oils unchecked. Our LAMEs in LAX reported a 744 oils uplifted of 5,8,6 and 5. (normally 2's and 3's). I wonder how those big lumps of steel glide when 4 engines die together.

Anyway these and other breaches were reported to CASA who are now investigating. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

max autobrakes
4th Jul 2008, 00:15
This wouldn't be the same CASA presently copping a bucketing in the Senate Enquiry would it?
The same CASA that's been accused of being too close to the very Airlines they are supposed to regulate!:ok:

airsupport
4th Jul 2008, 00:21
Management strike breakers were deployed on Australian tarmacs from our first stoppage several weeks ago.

The case I quoted was internal Employees who were still LAMEs, that worked for the Company in places like records and planning etc, is that the case now, or do you mean outside people brought in especially for the strike? :confused:

ALAEA Fed Sec
4th Jul 2008, 00:43
They were all Management strike breakers who have in some cases been off the tools for a up to 10 years. Some have only just been appointed to Management positions recently so they could resign from the union and help the airline crush their greedy employees who are asking for a 5% pa wage rise (how dare they). A couple of them were even very good LAMEs in their time but when they are trying to cover 200 Sydney LAMEs who downed tools for 4hours with 15 Manager LAMEs, they tend to rush through the checks a little. Things got missed such as engine oil checks. An unlicenced engineer who was working the tarmac highlighted that the LAX flights required a physical check within 30 mins of shutdown. He was told to "just check the gauges" 2 hours after shutdown. A deliberate and knowing breach of procedure. This is just one of 15 breaches I have written to CASA about.

I do know that CASA are investigating as we speak and assume the same rules for deliberate breaches of licence privilege that apply to LAMEs in normal times, applies to Manager LAMEs acting as strike breakers.

airsupport
4th Jul 2008, 00:49
Okay, thank you.

So it is the same sort of thing as I was remembering from 40 years ago. :{

neville_nobody
4th Jul 2008, 00:56
Don't the pilots check the oil on the EICAS?? I'd never take any aeroplane airborne without checking the oil somehow.

max autobrakes
4th Jul 2008, 01:36
posted without comment:

Qantas dispute-"blacklist" probe

The federal Workplace Ombudsman has initiated an immediate investigation into aspects of the qantas engineers' dispute.
Ombudsman Nicholas Wilson said today his enquiry had been prompted by allegations in today's media (June 26, 2008) that a blacklist of strike-breakers was being circulated within the airline industry as a means of intimidating non-union members.
The investigation will seek to detirmine if freedom of association provisions of the Workplace Relations Act have been breached.
"This is a serious matter, and if proven to be true, could result in prosecution of the guilty party, "Mr Wilson said.
The Workplace Ombudsman has been monitoring the Qantas industrial dispute and negotiating process to ensure all parties comply with the Act.

Keg
4th Jul 2008, 01:47
Neville, different readings with the information coming from different sources. In any case, engineering requires it to be checked within 30 minutes of the engine shutting down. That's the maintenance manual and that's what is required for the aircraft to be signed out- GE engines I think.

The question for tech crew is what to do if you're informed on taxi out that it hasn't been done correctly. For me it'd be back to the gate to get it done correctly. Now THAT would be an interesting PA. Not due to 'industrial action' either! :E It'd be a brave techie that said 'nope, EICAS says OK so we'll go'.

It was certainly posted without comments Max......nothing at all! :ok:

(Until the edit!).

Short_Circuit
4th Jul 2008, 09:14
I am no oil filler or tyre kicker but, I believe the 30 min requirement is for 2 reasons
1/ to prevent overfilling if some drains into bearing sumps prior to refill (overfill could blow up oil tanks etc)
2/ Sniff check for fuel in oil on GEs in-case FCOC leaks. (Big bang or failed bearings could result)

Both MAJOR reasons for checking oil on arrival by a LAME.