PDA

View Full Version : Windows won't allow folders to be deleted

Compo
12th Feb 2002, 05:59
I'm sorting a lot of my files out at the moment and restructuring my directories. Quite often when I come to delete a folder Windows won't let me, saying that the folder is in use "by some other application". Generally the folder is completely empty, and no other applications are running. The only way around is to restart the computer then delete the folder.

Any ideas why please? (I'm running Windows XP, which BTW is crap and keeps crashing)

G.Khan
12th Feb 2002, 14:39
Did you upgrade to XP from a previous OS?

My guess is that XP isn't recognising files/folders from an (much?) older OS.

Obviously a MS problem and you may want to try their helpline in your area.

FL310
12th Feb 2002, 15:11
This happens in W2000 a lot. Try this one, empty the folder and than shut down. After restart you should be able to delete the folder.. .I did not find the reason for this problem, but it helped some customers to re-organise their directories.. .Only for those who think it has to do with the recycle bin, no, even after emtying this one, there is still the need to re-start.

Compo
12th Feb 2002, 16:37
It's a new computer, so XP is the first OS it's had.

I might just have to live with it and carry on cursing MS! Cheers.

FLEX42
12th Feb 2002, 17:41
Compo, with regards to pc crashing with XP. I've only been running XP home edition for about a month on a new laptop and not a single problem to date........my only food for thought is whether you are running any dreaded anti-virus software which often seems to cause more problems than it solves on many occasions. Depends how often you're online etc. but it may be worth disabling it and see if you get the same probs.

FJJP
16th Feb 2002, 00:34
When I installed McAfee anti-virus suite I started to have horrendous problems with crashes and interference with other software. I had to remove every single piece of McAfee before the problem was solved. I then installed Symantec (Norton) and have had no problems since.