PDA

View Full Version : Requirements for a UK/JAR PPL flying in Australia

JamesTigris
2nd Jul 2008, 11:54
Can anyone point me in the right direction to get information on the Visa and Legal requirements for a UK PPL holder to fly or train in Australia?

I'm looking at taking an extended holiday in Oz (2-3months) and getting a lot of flying done whilst there. I imagine training would be tricky due to license incompatability. But I understand there is a fairly simple arrangement for recognising my JAR lisence if I just want to fly?

I've searched but had no luck (words like UK, JAR being too short to search for!)

Any UK guys doing a similar thing out there right now, please PM!

-JT

Lasiorhinus
2nd Jul 2008, 12:08
Getting a Special Pilots Licence (http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/overbr.htm#special) for overseas licence holders is straightforward.

Getting a security clearance (http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/asicavid.htm) to enable you to USE that SPL is expensive, and is the reason most people don't bother.

Rodge91
2nd Dec 2009, 09:00
Did you manage to do any flying in Oz, if you did, how was it? I'm going to be going out there for a year.

YPJT
3rd Dec 2009, 00:10
Rodge 91,
Further to what Lasiorhinus said, DO NOT repeat DO NOT go to CASA for your ASIC. You will be dealing with the most inept bureaucrats ever to be given issuing body status.

Use either Aviation ID Australia | Professional ASIC Distribution Centre (http://www.aviationidaustralia.com.au) or Security ID - Home Page (http://www.securityid.com.au) not sure if the second one processes for overseas applicants.

pm me if you need further info.

biggles7374
3rd Dec 2009, 01:35
The quickest way to be able to fly on your JAR licence is to get a Certificate of Validation from CASA.

Make sure you complete a form with the UK CAA that enables them to release details of your UK Licence to CASA.

When process is quite straight forward.

Regarding the ASIC, I was told by CASA that flying on a Certificate of Validation I did not need an ASIC!!!!

YPJT
3rd Dec 2009, 04:25
The C of V is certainly the best way to go but make sure you apply well in advance. CASA are not known for their efficiency or assistance in getting the process completed.
Regarding the ASIC, I was told by CASA that flying on a Certificate of Validation I did not need an ASIC!!!!
Technically that is so. However you will need one to have airside access at a security controlled airport ie one that has RPT services operating to / from. Most airports you visit away from the capital cities in rural or remote areas fall into that category.

I wish those clerks in CASA would stop bumb drumming people on matters that they cleary have no knowledge, expertise or experience. :ugh: I am led to believe the OTS wishes the same. :E

Eskimo Joe
3rd Dec 2009, 12:29
CoV would be the way to go given that you only staying 2-3 months. A CoV is valid for 3 months only but can be issued back-to-back if need be.
And no, you do not require a security check for issue of a CoV, but you have to remain well clear of fenced off airports. There are plenty of other airports OCTA that are not.
The CoV can be worded as such that you wish to conduct training with a particular operator, etc. or just rec flying. If you were training, you would be with an instructor with an ASIC which would cover you anyway.
The CoV does not take long to issue. They have to check validity of your foreign licence with the overseas CAA from your home country; this can cause delays as some of these CAAs require a fee for doing this while others just take ages.
Another stumbling block is the ELP - English Language Proficiency assessment. CASA will not recognise just English Proficient on a licence or FROL - it has to have the proper ICAO grading (ie. either 4, 5 or 6) - 4 being the bare minimum to be operational.
One way to fix this is to wait til you get to Oz, and do an ELP with a CFI from a flying school (most CFIs have the CASA delegation). After you do the assessment, you can fax the form to CASA who can then complete the issue of your CoV. CASA have in the past and will, if you ask them, email the certificate to you with a a covering letter authorising you to fly off a copy of the CoV (Reg 139 I believe).
YPJT, not all clerks in CASA are inexperienced, or lack that knowledge or expertise than you think.
Hope that helps you JT. :ok:;):)

Charlie Foxtrot India
3rd Dec 2009, 15:05
Certificate of Validation.

Oh for the days when they were issued in the regional offices in 24 hours, less if a chocolate cake was part of the deal.

We currently have a guy flying with us whose C of V took 5 months to process thanks to a FUBAR at CLARC. So allow months rather than weeks.

I asked CLARC if they would consider letting the regional offices issue the C oif Vs again, thereby saving several months of delays and was told this would be "a big step back" yeah, to something that actually worked! :ugh:

Eskimo Joe
4th Dec 2009, 12:06
I think you have to argue that one with Johnny Mac, CFI. May happen one day again, who knows...

LowNSlow
17th Aug 2010, 07:57
It looks like I'm off to Brisbane for two or three years so does anybody have any advice about licences, aircraft rental etc?

I'm looking to get a Certificate of Validation while I apply for a Special Pilots Licence. I've heard that CASA used to be horrifically slow processing this paperwork, is this still the case?

I know that I've got to authorise the UK CAA to release my details to get the ASIC security clearance. Does anybody have any recommendations of who to use in Brisbane to process the ASIC as again, I've heard that CASA are snail like in this.

Lasiorhinus
17th Aug 2010, 11:48
Aviation ID Australia for the ASIC. No question.

LowNSlow
17th Aug 2010, 13:22
Ta, I'll get in touch with them now. I assume that I can start the process from the UK before I go?