PDA

View Full Version : Pension

bluemoonfan
2nd Jul 2008, 07:30
This a question for anyone that has left the mob recently. I am due to leave the RAF later this month and as the missus is already planning what to spend my dosh on, how soon after leaving has your lump sum been paid.

Many thanks.

Safety_Helmut
2nd Jul 2008, 07:34
Mine took about 10 days.

The norm seemd to be about 1 to 3 weeks.

S_H

endplay
2nd Jul 2008, 08:42
They are allowed to hold onto your lump sum for 30 days to make certain that you don't owe any money (LSAP, recovery charges etc)

They held mine for the full 30 then about a month late told me I owed 90 odd quid on LSAP. I ignored this (as I was pretty sure they were wrong) then another month later they thanked me for discharging the debt and released any "charge" they had on my house.

It seems that they work in 30 day steps but I was not refunded any interest on my held over lump sum and if this is done to everyone then it would add up.

Been out 9 months now and have just got my tax sorted.

Sempre 206
2nd Jul 2008, 09:05
Mine took 44 days. After considerable correspondance, I was repaid the 14 days (over and above the 30 days) lost interest.

Good Luck

maxburner
2nd Jul 2008, 09:23
It's 10 years ago now, but mine hit my account the next day. It didn't stay long as Mrs B had plans!

Bladdered
2nd Jul 2008, 11:07
Less than a week - however, 12 months later, JPA came after me for some money that they had overpaid:mad:

cazatou
2nd Jul 2008, 11:17
Like maxburner mine reached my account on my last day of service - but that was 12 years ago.

If they could do it then why can't they do it today?

klubman
2nd Jul 2008, 12:20
My exit date was 14 December, and the gratuit arrived in my bank account on 31 December. Not bad, I thought, considering the Christmas break.

foldingwings
2nd Jul 2008, 12:36
But, after your last pay chit, stand by to receive 3 subsequent pay statements all for the marvellous sum of Zero Pounds!

Foldie

N Joe
2nd Jul 2008, 17:07
Jan 07: When I tried to check that all was well a few days before my exit date, I was referred to JPAC and told that all my pension paperwork had been lost and that a resubmitted pension and gratuity application would take at least a month to process (after which it would take another month to be actioned). I failed to actually pin anyone down to check progress as JPAC don't hold your records (the operator can pass messages to the Pensions Agency but you can't actually ring anyone there). However, my full gratuity arrived promptly within a week of my departure. According to the Pension Agency guy that eventually rang me back a week or so later, JPAC don't know anything about pensions!

Looks like most people get theirs on time - just pray you're one of the lucky ones.

N Joe

Mmmmnice
2nd Jul 2008, 21:34
10 days for my EDP - but (as I've posted elsewhere) they carried on sending pay statements to my old unit for 2 more months until I personally phoned up the JPA 'Helpline' to get them to stop - apparently all the forms that got filled in/passed around didn't achieve this (obviously) - oh how I don't miss it!!

AYTCH
3rd Jul 2008, 09:08
Left 2 days ago so will let you know how long it takes. Rang Pensions at Glasgow one day after becoming Mr, as advised by them 2 weeks previously, to be told there was no point calling till at least 10 days had gone by. There are apparently 4 stages they go through with paperwork, one before you leave and once finished, they collate something and do the other 3 stages (god knows what they are) and try to get your gratuity to you in 10 working days, 20 max <quote the guy on the phone>. Pension should come 1 calendar month after departure. Why in this day and age can a computer not have it all sorted once you put in the pension and commutation request form in the Service Leavers' Pack (had acknowledgement they received this months ago) such that they only have to check the day after you leave that you actually left, then hit 'enter'? Hey presto, one gratuity and a pension! Oh well, after 25 years in, what is another few days? Did I expect anything else??

Scribbly520
4th Jul 2008, 14:02
My gratuity arrived in less than 3 weeks after discharge. You get no notification of when it will arrive in the bank account, so you need to keep checking. The pension was paid dead on time exactly one month to the day after I left. Life commutation took longer, as after nearly 40 years the RAF had lost my medical docs and I had to pay for another medical. However, the dosh turned up in about 3 weeks from submitting the paperwork. All in all, a better performance than JPA, which still can't sort out my pay 9 months after I left. I'd redress AMP but actually I genuinely owe them money and JPA can't work out how much. Another 5 years 3 months and it's mine to keep.

Bladdered
4th Jul 2008, 15:15
One thing that completely bemused me was the date they paid me my pension for the first time. Left on the 2nd day of the month and got my first pension payment on the 23rd...............why? Anyone know?

kokpit
4th Jul 2008, 15:27
Mine was in the bank the day after I left.

However, that was in a time when we had real human type Admin people, and a Gen Office, so I guess all the critisisms were unwarrented back then when compared to you young 'uns and JPA ;)

lampeterexile
4th Jul 2008, 20:00
Mine took 14 days after I left:ok::ok:

cazatou
4th Jul 2008, 20:16
Look at posts #7 & #15

The system worked then.

The question that VERY Senior Officers should be answering is quite simple:

WHY DOES THE SYSTEM NOT WORK NOW!!

BEagle
5th Jul 2008, 08:03
After some 35 years, tired of the deteriorating state of the RAF, I pulled the B&Y in 2003 having done some calculations regarding the best date and having harboured the maximum leave possible....

You MUST photocopy a calendar when you get your final date, fill in all the bank holidays and grants, then allow a day for the resettlement work shop and another for a discharge medical. Then tick off all the days backwards from your exit date until you get to the day you drive out through the main gate for the last time. Then allow another 3 or 4 days for clearing, giving back your watch and gas mask etc - and (if he can be bothered - mine wasn't) a farewell interview with Harry. That defines your last working day

Stopped working on April 4th, paid until August 7th, then as TOFO states, the next day a nice large figure appeared in my account.

My final date of service was Aug 7th and my pension date is the 28th of the month. The reason for the seemingly random date is, I gather, to spread the cost to the exchequer.

The regular pay for the first 7 days of August and the pension element for the remainder of the month were both paid on time. The whole thing was totally seamless.

But that was long before the bolleaux of JPA!

Whatever, when you receive your gratuity, transfer it asap to a savings account!!

Lurking123
5th Jul 2008, 08:31
I left a few months ago and JPA was spot on:ooh:. My last day of service was a bank holiday Saturday and the gratuity/commuted lump sum arrived 10 working days later, as advertised. Still waiting for my P45 though and, in the meantime, Darling is stinging me with emergency tax. :{

Pontius Navigator
5th Jul 2008, 08:45
10 days to go, planning how to spend it.

Amateur.

Mine had the other half of BEagle's calander, the bit from 4 April, with my work programme mapped out - on 5 day weeks, 9-5.

As for cash flow, that too. The conservatory was ordered well in advance and the holiday all paid for up front.

I too got the payment the next day. Then, to my bank's discussed, we withdrew every sodding penny, in cash, and walked it round the corner to Nationwide where we started earning 7% immediately. The bank had offered a cheque - only 5 days to clear.

They probably had to get an extra Securicorps bank run to replace the cash. We had warned them but they had ignored it :}

Winch-control
5th Jul 2008, 12:01
Lump sum (gratuity) paid 3 days after leaving (July last year so JPA). Pension paid on the 22nd of the month, correct from day one and still correct.:D

AYTCH
17th Jul 2008, 15:40
Said I'd get back to you. Exactly 10 working days after my last paid day of service the gratuity is in the bank account....it has never looked so good. Still do not understand with computers why this could not have been in the bank the day I left??? Not got a answer on when the pension will be paid for the first time but hoping to get that from Xafinity tomorrow. Of note, the letter telling you definitively how much each bit comes to ie, lump sum, resettlement commutation lump sum, pension and how much comes off it to fund the commutation was sent out first-class post only 9 days after I left. :D:D:D Off on holiday tomorrow!!!!!! :ok:

Melchett01
17th Jul 2008, 16:37
10 days to go, planning how to spend it

Being a bit optimistic there aren't we ..... or should that be hopeful?

I'd check with C-in-C Home Command before you actually spend any of your hard-earned cash. Haven't you seen the various kitchen catalogues arriving in the post over the past few weeks :}

L1A2 discharged
17th Jul 2008, 21:55
Last day of service 1st June, EDP lump sum in the bank 13th, 'Pension' in on 23rd.

Mortgage paid off, new (ish) car on the drive. Full time job puts me back to where I was in income + a bit.

Wage and EDP taxed at BR (Base Rate) 20%, return to be filled in next year :(

Cornerstone958
18th Jul 2008, 08:35
A word of advice from one who has been bitten! Keep your eye on your Tax Return & code and remember that YOUR tax office is in Cardiff. Don't be fooled by some T:mad: in the office that is responsable for your employer who tells you that 'it's on the computer'! I got stung for over 8K in one year:bored:
Cornerstone

Lurking123
18th Jul 2008, 08:51
Yes, JPAC are very good at sending you a P45 that never seems to get to you. Next thing you know your tax code has a little M1 at the end of it - emergency tax!! Give JPAC a call, they will tell you they sent your P45 and the law prohibits them from sending a duplicate. They will, begrudgingly, send you a letter which you then need to throw back in the system to get yourself off emergency tax.

Doctor Cruces
18th Jul 2008, 12:17
Final day, 24th Nov, lump sum in on payday that month, (last working day or whatever) Pension payable on 24th, so mine went OK.

Mind you that was in 1997 when you could talk to people by phone who knew what you were talking about (and more importantly what THEY were talking about, well mostly anyway).

:):)

Doc C

Yeller_Gait
18th Jul 2008, 13:24
P45 and letter from Pensions office advising actual pension benefits arrived about 10 days after leaving. EDP lump sum in bank a couple of days later .... thanks JPA :-)

It would have been useful if the letter also told you what day of the month your EDP gets paid into the bank but can't be too critical I suppose.

Cheers, off now to spend some money, unfortunately the wife gets to choose what to spend it on.

Y_G

Raincheck
18th Jul 2008, 15:11
Last day of "Work" Mar 6 1997, last day of service Jul 14. Gratuity appeared in my (our !) bank account 8 days later and pension appears as regular as clockwork on the 24th. I really do think that there was a considerable difference in the handling of the individual those few years ago. eg Pension forecast and gratuity forecast ordered over over the phone and appearing on my desk in a couple of days. Such advances in technology astound even me.

L J R
19th Jul 2008, 02:56
Has anyone had a huge difference in actual lump sum and pension comparing Pension Calculator (say) 6 monthd prior to departure, and actual Pension Office estimate/statement on exit. And/Or has anyone had a large difference from the 'annual' entitlement of your written forecast from the Pensions Office?? - you know, the one that you have to apply for IN WRITING - e-mail/phone request not acceptable, and only allowed one per year.??

MightyGem
19th Jul 2008, 04:53
I got stung for over 8K in one year
If your in the 40% tax band, speak to the tax office and get them to tax your pension at 40%. Saves getting a bill at the end of the year.

dallas
19th Jul 2008, 07:53
Anyone know if it makes a difference to my partner if we get married before I leave the Service as opposed to afterwards, in terms of continued benefits if I snuff it? (AFPS75)

BEagle
19th Jul 2008, 11:22
Unless the RAF has now moved into the 21st Century, it used to be the fact that your pension would only be paid to your widow if you CAT5'd before she did....

Married the day before you leave, hit by a falling meteorite the day after you leave - she gets your pension.

Be in a long term unmarried relationship and make financial contributions to you parner's welfare for 25 years, then get hit by a falling meteorite the day after you leave - she gets nothing.

Has that changed yet?

Melchett01
19th Jul 2008, 13:29
Still on pensions, but at a slight tangent to the previous 'what I'm going to spend it on / when did you get it' discussion:

Since JPA came in, has anybody managed to get any details on pensions without going through JPAC ie ringing the AFPAA direct? I didn't think it could be done, but a chum at work stated that she always rang AFPAA direct rather than JPA. And shortly afterwards, I did then find an AFPAA leaflet lying around one of the crewrooms.

My reason for asking is simple - I have been trying to find out the cost / benefits of taking out AVCs to boost the number of years served since last year without luck.

As I joined in Oct 98, so that is the month when they will start taking the extra payments if I sign up, but I have been trying to get a straight answer from them since Nov last year. When I rang JPAC to insert a size 10 a month ago before I came out to the desert I was told 'we have to give them 10 days to respond'; when I pointed out I had given them almost 8 months, they just shrugged and mummbled a number at me. Apart from that, the only other thing I have managed to do to give me a rough idea of the benefits is to tweek the dates on the online calculator to reflect the extra number of months service I can buy, but that is a bit of a finger in the air plan.

So if there is another way of getting hold of the pensions people other than JPAC, would be interested to know (even if it is direct to AFPAA). PM me if you prefer.

dallas
19th Jul 2008, 13:30
http://www.mod.uk/NR/rdonlyres/55EDB441-5884-4544-AF56-0AA88511909A/0/afps75fambenefits.pdf

This link tries to explain it in the usual MoD 'we're making out we're explaining it, but being pretty vague so relatives will have to press to test' -style language. My interpretation is get married before you die and it'll be simpler for the relatives - it doesn't seem to matter if you married while in the Service.

round&round
19th Jul 2008, 14:43
I left in April and didn't receive a penny, no pension, no lump sum. Phoned after 2 weeks and told it takes a month. Waited a month, nothing. Phoned several times and got nowhere. Sent a formal complaint via the website and used the phrase "you are causing me severe financial hardship" Got a response within 24 hours from a serving officer and all money was in my account 5 days later.

If you get problems don't phone, you'll get fobbed off. Send an email and put something emotve in it. The "financial hardship" phrase mandates a rapid response!!

foormort
19th Jul 2008, 15:31
I'm too lazy to even begin to think about using the pensions calculator. If I leave at my 16/38 pt as a 3yr Sqn Ldr on the old system how much do I get, ballpark figures? Both lump sum and pension.

Tiger_mate
19th Jul 2008, 18:04
That has to be the most arrogant post that I have ever seen on any forum. "I cannot be bothered so please do it for me old chap" You may drive F16s and have a cushy US exchange but get off your derriere and work it out for yourself, for with your arrogance you deserve the square root of F-All.

Rossian
19th Jul 2008, 18:18
Foormort:
Hasn't struck you that that the no. of F16 pilots in the RAF is pretty low and that as a result of one of the stupidest, most arrogant posts I've seen, a large no. of people now KNOW that you are a complete tosser (they probably suspected it before but now they KNOW!).
The Ancient Mariner

PS some kind soul in the FJ world will know your name and soon we'll ALL know who you are.

FFP
19th Jul 2008, 18:49
Because of course he definately IS an F-16 exchange officer. His public profile says so ;)

Just looked up 3 yr S/L on the old system using the pension calculator. Both lump sum and pension.

But I can't be arsed to post it ;)

Tiger Mate,

cushy US exchange

It's an oxymoron. No such thing. Have a mate out there who says he deploys for twice as long as he did in the UK, works from 7 am to 6 pm to keep up with the Blackberry brigade they have and is unlikely to get promoted out of it cos the promotion board think he's been overreported on, despite him being selected to go out there as an abassador presumably for doing something right in the first place :confused:

But he knew that before he went, so I tell him where sympathy sits in the dictionary......:E

goneeast
19th Jul 2008, 20:13
Talking about when your last working day should be etc.. I had a civvie job lined up and just buggered off when i thought it was about right... anyone want a clearence chit? pension is paid on time though

foormort
20th Jul 2008, 16:32
OK I'll get me coat and work out how to use the pensions calculator....whats wrong with being a lazy fast jet mate?

AYTCH
29th Jul 2008, 15:19
<<Said I'd get back to you. Exactly 10 working days after my last paid day of service the gratuity is in the bank account....it has never looked so good. Still do not understand with computers why this could not have been in the bank the day I left??? Not got a answer on when the pension will be paid for the first time but hoping to get that from Xafinity tomorrow. Of note, the letter telling you definitively how much each bit comes to ie, lump sum, resettlement commutation lump sum, pension and how much comes off it to fund the commutation was sent out first-class post only 9 days after I left. :D:D:D Off on holiday tomorrow!!!!!! :ok:>>

Following on my info above and to close the loop, got back from hols to see my first pension payment today, 29 July, was in the bank and the P45 arrived in the post yesterday. That means all done 4 weeks after last day of service. Amusingly, the P45 had a letter in it telling me to ignore the previous one as it was wrong :bored: Never received the wrong one!!! Lost somewhere in JPAC no doubt. Hope the info is of use to you and any others about to see sense and leave for pastures new ;)

timex
29th Jul 2008, 16:33
Buggers lost my P45 causing much pain for me with the Tax Office, they told me they couldn't issue a second as it was illegal.....:ugh::ugh:? Pay and Pension worked fine though.

Almost_done
29th Jul 2008, 16:38
With regard to the P45 I am still waiting for mine, only been 4 mths. :ugh:

Pension paid on time though.:ok:

Lurking123
29th Jul 2008, 17:01
I detect a common theme. No P45, discussion with JPAC, Aagainst the law to issue you a replacement", crappy letter.

Of course they sent it; who knows where? :ugh:

L1A2 discharged
29th Jul 2008, 19:38
Received after about 2 1/2 months, also with the 'ignore previously issued version' message .....:ugh:

Got most of my name correct, but its the numbers that matter to the tax office.

F.O.D
29th Jul 2008, 20:33
I left 18 months ago and my P45 was never received either. I had the same explanation from JPAC- that it was illegal to issue a P45 replacement but JPAC did write me a letter summarising the figures - the taxman was happy to accept that letter as a P45 substitute.

By the way, not only does the grass look greener on the other side of the fence - it really is!!!

regards F.O.D

shaafa
30th Jul 2008, 08:12
One month to go till I reach the other side.:ok: Waiting in anticipation for my bank account to grow!!!!:D