PDA

View Full Version : USB modem blues

Mac the Knife
13th Apr 2001, 15:26
When I got the P3 my dealer put in a Dynalink USB modem. It thinks it is a "Conexant HCF V90 Data Fax RTAD USB modem" which sounds about right since Conexant make the chipsets that dozens of people stuff in branded modems. Works, but seems slower than it should and keeps dropping the line for no reason.

Eventually got fed up and put the old serial US Robotics Sportster Flash V90 Voice PNP back (and lost a serial port that I need - can't put in another as I'm out of IRQs).

Chalk and cheese. Far faster and crisper and no more of those #$%(&&*^%@!#$ line dropouts.

Comments and advice please chap(esses)

ExSimGuy
14th Apr 2001, 11:34
Sounds like WinDoze has installed what it thinks the most appropriate driver for your modem as it recognised the chipset.

But, like with graphics adapters, the chipset is not the modem . . .

Your dealer should have given you a driver disc with the modem (floppy or CD) and this will have the best driver for the implimentation of the chipset that the manufacturer of your modem built - this is what you should, preferably, be using. Sometimes dealers buy a whole case of cards, modems etc, and the manufacturer gives them only one driver disc (I know as the company I work for sometimes has this problem)

So chase the dealer who sold you the system for the origianl driver, or a copy of it. If all else fails try the manufacturer's web site, or www.thedriversite.com, (http://www.thedriversite.com,) and get the right software.

Uninstall the modem (sortware) and next time "Plug&Pray" detects new hardware, click on "have disc" and load the driver from that - not the "generic" driver for the chipset

Have fun!!

------------------
What goes around . . .
. . often lands better!

traffic cop
14th Apr 2001, 11:57
MTK - had exactly the same problem with a 'see-through' (very modern!) 56K USB modem. Turned out it operated like a WinModem in that it was software controlled. Tried everything - very poor performance.

Sent it back and exchanged it for a 56K ISA modem, and that sings along with generic WinME drivers. Best speeds I've ever had.

Hope that helps a bit (just a biased opinion!) :)