PDA

View Full Version : Support the Armed Forces Memorial

defenceheadquarters
1st Jul 2008, 15:28
The new national Armed Forces Memorial has been short-listed for a prestigious award by the National Lottery. People only have until Friday 4 July 2008 to vote and make sure the Memorial gets through to the finals of the awards. For full story, click here (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/HistoryAndHonour/ArmedForcesMemorialNominatedForLotteryAward.htm).

gdiphil
1st Jul 2008, 16:49
Thank you very much for starting this thread. My father was RAF and aircrew killed in Borneo on May 4th, 1963 in a crash of a Belvedere helicopter. He and the other unfortunates are still buried in the Trusan valley in eastern Sarawak, Malaysia. It is fantastic that there now exists a memorial in the UK for all the servicemen who have died since WWII. I too would urge ppruners to vote asap in favour of this fantastic memorial.

Airbubba
1st Jul 2008, 17:28
Yep, and I recently visited the many Americans buried near Cambridge. Thanks for giving us the land to bury our fallen.

Matt35
1st Jul 2008, 17:28
Please excuse my comment, but I read this today and got VERY angry...and posted on another Forum...

"""Defence spending row as chiefs spend £730 million on taxis, hotels and meals
By Nick Allen
Last Updated: 1:46PM BST 30/06/2008
The row over defence spending on vehicles for troops on the frontline has been reignited after it was disclosed the MoD spent £730 million on meals, hotels and taxis for civil servants in a 12-month period.
It is more than twice as much as was spent on vehicles for servicemen and women in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The figures emerged two weeks after Cpl Sarah Bryant and three members of the SAS were killed when their lightly protected Snatch Land Rover was destroyed by a landmine in Afghanistan.

The Snatch Land Rover was brought into service in the 1970s for those serving in Northern Ireland but critics say the vehicles do not offer enough protection for troops in Afghanistan and should be replaced.""

From Daily Telegraph today...I can't find the right words to comment at the moment...""

I will right now vote for the Memorial as you suggest and am happy to do so...

But?

Matt.

EGGP
1st Jul 2008, 17:34
Don't forget to vote for Airspace at IWM Duxford in the best education project category.:ok:

Matt35
1st Jul 2008, 17:48
Bubba,

If you come back, take time to look at the USAF window in Chelmsford Cathedral - about an hour South of Cambridge.

Look at the message on the marble floor as you approach the window?

I am 2 miles from Boreham airfield (Google it?) - a small monument to the USAF - never passed it without noticing flowers -in 36 years.

Lest we forget?

Matt.

Airbubba
1st Jul 2008, 18:04
If you come back, take time to look at the USAF window in Chelmsford Cathedral - about an hour South of Cambridge.

Thanks, I'll do that. A friend's father who was a retired Air Commodore told me about that window years ago while he was showing me around Cambridge.

Sallyann1234
1st Jul 2008, 18:13
Airbubba, check this ...

History of Chelmsford Cathedral (http://www.chelmsfordcathedral.org.uk/blue1/history.htm#American)

Airbubba
1st Jul 2008, 18:25
Thanks again!

ukdean
1st Jul 2008, 21:09
MATT!re-arange the words "kobn". its about the fallen, save the politics for another thread

The Swinging Monkey
2nd Jul 2008, 05:30
ukdean

Was that really necessary?
Why?

Matt35
2nd Jul 2008, 10:13
Dean,

I would have thought that my sentiments regarding the fallen were quite clear from my comments...my anger is that money is being spent on things that will not reduce the number of deaths...not political in my eyes.

At least your erudition seems to match your comprehension...

Matt.

peppermint_jam
2nd Jul 2008, 10:23
Got this sent through internal email and have since voted for both the memorial and the IWM.