PDA

View Full Version : Replies to posts not appearing.

Flybywyre
12th Apr 2001, 13:30
This seems to be getting worse. When I reply to a post it does not appear until much later, sometimes the next day!! sometimes not at all!!!
I replied to a post on the "private flying" forum at about 09:00, it is now 10:30 and still no sign of my reply. I have gone off line twice during that period.
Can anyone help?
Regards
FBW

Flybywyre
12th Apr 2001, 14:05
Something strange is happening........

While I was waiting for my post to appear in the private flying forum I decided to use the facility that lists posts that you/someone has made. Guess what....they list some of the posts that never appeared, including one on this forum that I posted on 8/4 at 21:24 to "ifylofd" re. IE 5.5 so I copy and pasted only I didn't need to paste, when I went back it was now there! (it wasn't 15 minutes ago)
On the other side of the coin the thread that I have been repling to on "private flying" does not appear on my lists of posts.
What is going on??

PPRuNe Dispatcher
12th Apr 2001, 20:20
Any posts that you make that don't appear at the time but do appear later without you reposting them means that for some reason your browser isn't seeing the updated page. Once a post has been made, the PPRuNe server has no physical way of sending out the earlier page as it no longer exists on the server.

There are two common reasons why you keep seeing the unchanged page. If you don't have "Check for newer versions of stored pages" set to "Every visit to the page" then you'll keep seeing old pages as your browser will just go to your local cache. Secondly, your ISP may themselves be caching pages to save bandwidth costs.

touch&go
13th Apr 2001, 00:17
Had the same problem, thought that Nortons was clearing all my cookies and temp internet file,had to phone BT with problems and when they told me to check, there were thousands of file and cookies still in my computer...after these were removed everything worked ok and in fact works faster now.

Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about with regards to computers, but it fixed my problem.

PPRuNe Dispatcher
13th Apr 2001, 01:54
You should periodically clean out your browsers cache and remove unwanted cookies. Personally I delete all saved internet files and cookies I don't recognize at least each week.

--PPD

Flybywyre
14th Apr 2001, 01:30
Thanks guys, I'll have a fiddle around.
Regards
FBW

Flybywyre
14th Apr 2001, 13:12
I changed the settings to "every visit to the page" and then posted on the ATC forum at 08:37
It's now 10:07 and still no sign of my posting.
I also posted on this very page last night and it has not appeared.
This only happens on "Pprune". I use two other bb's every day and don't have any problems with them.

*** This post appeared instantly and brought with it the other post that I sent last night, can anyone explain, thanks. ***
Regards
FBW

[This message has been edited by Flybywyre (edited 14 April 2001).]

PPRuNe Dispatcher
14th Apr 2001, 16:57
Your posting at 0837 did appear at 0837 and from that onwards, if the server received a request for that page it sent it out.

If you don't see the correct page, then force a reload using your refresh button. If that fails, then note the exact time, what page you are trying to access (i.e. the URL) your own IP address and send it to me in an email. I'll then check the server log.

To find your IP address in windows98,
Go to Start | Run
Type winipcfg and click OK.

PPD

Flybywyre
14th Apr 2001, 18:41
PD....................

Thanks, I'll keep an eye on things and Email you if/when it happens again.

Regards
FBW

EGCC Rwy 24
14th Apr 2001, 22:14
Touched on above, but methinks not in enough detail, is the caching by ISPs.

If your ISP caches pages, no amount of clearing information on your PC will help....

I use Freeserve. They cache pages. That means that if I go looking for a particular PPRuNe page which someone else has [recently] requested, it is probably already cached at Freeserve.

So what?

Well, Freeserve will deliver me the page from their cache. The request will not be passed on to the PPRuNe server. That is why you get an old page.

Usually, you can persuade Freeserve (or whichever ISP) to go seek the updated page by holding down the Control key whilst clicking refresh. Works in IE, not sure about Netscape.

Did this help??

Danny's server could probably be configured to shovel some additional HTML headers into all the pages served, asking for the pages not be cached. This would (provided the various caches out there actually obey the requests, which most do) prevent the pages being cached. The downside to this of course is that all page requests would have to go right the way to Danny's server and increase its workload even more. Let's not go there!!!

[This message has been edited by EGCC Rwy 24 (edited 14 April 2001).]

cossack
14th Apr 2001, 23:21
I agree with the above: CTRL/Refresh is often needed to see the latest page.
I too use Freeserve.
Is that enough to consider it a pattern?

Flybywyre
15th Apr 2001, 23:22
Thanks all.....................
I'm away for a week so I will check out the advice when I get back, looks interesting because I also use freeserve.
Regards
FBW

PPRuNe Dispatcher
16th Apr 2001, 14:36
If we forced all pages not to be cached, the load would nearly double http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif and instead of a two-processor machine, we'd need a four.

I agree EGCC, let's not go there!

---PPD

10W
16th Apr 2001, 16:21
As another Freeserve user, I concur with the tardieness in updating the cache sometimes. The tip I picked up from another thread on PPRuNe is to insert a ? at the end of the url in the address box and then refresh. Works everytime.

------------------
10 West
UK ATC'er
[email protected]

beaver eager
17th Apr 2001, 13:17
I started my own thread on this subject very recently having not known what was going on for a quite a while after switching to Freeserve (never ever happened with LineOne, but they don't have a 24/7 deal). I can confirm the bit about the question mark at the end of the URL working every time!

I like the sound of the control button whilst refreshing doing the same job though as it sounds easier.

The trouble for me was that switching to Freeserve co-incided with re-formating my hard disk and getting the system restore pack out! I then had to re-install all the other programs, download IE5.5 again 'coz you can't import WAB files created with IE5.5 into an older version of IE (I've only got a disk with 5.1). By the the time I'd done all that, I just thought I'd imported a corrupted file into IE whilst downloading it.

And the moral of the story....

Vive la Prune! And thanks to all readers of this forum who are happy to share there hard fought knowledge of these damn machines with others.

"What's it doing now?" applies more to Computers than to Aeroplanes... Oh I just remembered, Aeroplanes didn't suffer from that before they had Computers in them! (Unless there was an incompetent at the controls!) :)

Edit = Typos (and to test this business about holding the control key down, as this page din't refresh when I made the first edit of this post and holding the control key down didn't work!)
------------------
Keep it up!

[This message has been edited by beaver eager (edited 17 April 2001).]

beaver eager
17th Apr 2001, 13:43
Holding the control key down did work this time!

FJJP
22nd Apr 2001, 12:29
I just hit the 'Refresh' button - it works every time. The computer will pick up the requested page from the Windows 'Temporary Internet File' folder unless you have the settings altered to check for updated page each time. That can slow up your browsing though.

Superfly
26th Apr 2001, 22:55
Here is a tip for Freeserve users (and maybe the others). the default connection for Freecrap will use their proxy server. property displayed as follows for IE:
TOOLS>INTERNET OPTIONS>CONNECTION>LAN SETTINGS>ADVANCED . Here there is an option called "Do not use proxy server for the following addresses" , just put in the box >>> http://www.pprune.org
Et voila, it did the trick for me. Hope it helps. Superfly