PDA

View Full Version : Sealand`s gate guardian

thorpey
30th Jun 2008, 21:27
Passed RAF Sealand for the first time in about twenty years and was wondering if anyone knew what happened to the Spit that used to be sitting outside. I think i read that the station has been closed, more cutbacks, i suppose? I`d appreciate any news, thanks, thorpey.

mystic_meg
30th Jun 2008, 21:44
http://www.warbirdregistry.org/spitregistry/spitfire-td248.html :ok:

Tiger_mate
30th Jun 2008, 21:44
It was rebuilt to flying condition if I recall correctly. Painted silver and red in the colours of 41 Sqn.

It was replaced by a Danish Hunter painted to look like a RAF machine a long time ago. The Spit went at about the same time as a nationwide purge of authentic machines being replaced by glass fibre models and being sold to restorers.

GeeRam
30th Jun 2008, 21:51
Probably Spitfire XVIe TD248, which was on the gate at Sealand until 1988. It was exchanged for a replica and passed into the hands of Historic Flying, being rebuilt to flying condition, returning to the air in Nov 1992. It is now owned by USA collector Tom Blair but is currently operated out of Duxford, and is will probably be flying at the Flying Legends Airshow at Duxford in 2 few weeks time on the 12th/13th July.

Edit: Too bloody slow I see.........:p

thorpey
30th Jun 2008, 21:52
Many thanks guys, good to see her airworthy.

XL319
30th Jun 2008, 21:58
Is the Hunter still there?

Tiger_mate
30th Jun 2008, 22:07
Rumour has it that the Hunter is now owned by Mr Nigel Spur and is stored in the Newark Area.

advocatusDIABOLI
30th Jun 2008, 22:22
Shame, but the same thing happened to the Mk V Spit that used to be outside SHQ at Church Fenton circa 1988. Replaced by a plastic 1:1 Airfix Kit. Don't know where it went, but rumour at the time had it for spares for the BBMF? Anyone know?

Regards,

Advo

spekesoftly
30th Jun 2008, 22:54
The original Church Fenton Spitfire (BM597) now flies with the Historic Aircraft Collection Duxford.

advocatusDIABOLI
30th Jun 2008, 23:15
spekesoftly,

Now that IS a result! :D Fantastic. I always hated the idea it was cut up for spares!

Made my night that! Thanks.

Advo

spekesoftly
30th Jun 2008, 23:23
My pleasure :ok:

Dundiggin'
1st Jul 2008, 04:58
Now we've started this theme...does anyone know what happened to the PR Spit that was outside Benson SHQ?

Pontius Navigator
1st Jul 2008, 06:50
BBMF?

They have a superb PR Spit. Looks factory fresh and a real thoroughbred.

Part of the Airfix swap ws that we got some back in airworthy condition.

PS,

I wish they would fix or scrap the plastic kit at Benson. Looks an absolute disgrace with the tail flopping and twisted. Don't they have a real SWO who can tell OC BSW to get it fixed?:}

sharp pens
1st Jul 2008, 07:39
Jumping in late, the former RAF Sealand gates (with gold RAF emblems) now adorn the entrance to the airfield at Cosford, retrieved when they moved the road outside Sealand and restored in collaboration with the RAF Museum.

treadigraph
1st Jul 2008, 07:45
Dundiggin', according to this (http://www.warbirdregistry.org/spitregistry/spitfire-pm651.html) Benson's Spit is apparently currently stored at RAF Wyton, presumably for swaps or eventual display somewhere. Love to see another Griffon Spit back in the air...

PTR 175
1st Jul 2008, 08:20
While we are on about the where abouts of aircraft from RAF XY and Z.

Does anybody know what happened to the late Mk of Spitfire (Griffon Engine and cannons) that was parked at the back of 1(F) Sqn at Wittering. It was there when I left there in 92 ??

Geezers of Nazareth
1st Jul 2008, 11:03
Does anybody know what happened to the late Mk of Spitfire (Griffon Engine and cannons) that was parked at the back of 1(F) Sqn at Wittering. It was there when I left there in 92 ??

Ahh, that'll be LA255, a Spitfire F.21. It belongs to the 1Sqdn Association, so was not part of the 'real-for-airfix' plan a few years ago. Nowadays it lives with 1 Sqdn at Cottesmore.

Dundiggin'
1st Jul 2008, 13:38
Many thanks - nice to see the old bird again.

EESDL
1st Jul 2008, 19:13
If you need to know where Spit/Hurri gate guardians are now...simply ask CB as he's properly flown them post restoration..regardless of who now owns them!