PDA

View Full Version : Light aircraft crash at MAN

mikeyuk
30th Jun 2008, 18:49
A light aircraft crashed at MAN runway 2 at about 1600, thats all i know.

Any one any more info on it ?

west lakes
30th Jun 2008, 18:52
From the Beeb

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7482185.stm

Runway 2 I'm not an aviator but I didn't think MAN had a runway 2 - unless the mean the 2nd runway 25L

Thunderbug
30th Jun 2008, 18:55
2nd runway 25L

Don't think Manchester has a 25L either.......... :ooh:

One9iner
30th Jun 2008, 19:06
that'll be 24L then...:ok:

Sam-MAN
30th Jun 2008, 19:09
Actually 23L :ok:

Aircraft in question was G-JDBC Piper Seneca (Operated by JD Aviation)

Looks like the left gear failed to lock.

Great set of pics here taken by Dale Coleman :ok: http://www.ringwayreports.co.uk/G-JDBC_DC_300608.jpg

(http://www.ringwayreports.co.uk/G-JDBC_DC_300608.jpg)
The pilot and two passengers on board suffered minor injuries and had to be cut from the wreckage by firefighters
Urgh, no they didn't :ugh:Various people I know said both the people got out straight after the crash :*

doublesix
30th Jun 2008, 19:11
Resident PA34 G-JDBC, landed on Runway 23L with unsafe landing gear. Left main wheels collapsed on landing. Runway 23 Left to give it it's proper title, is also more commonly referred to by the media as Runway 2.

west lakes
30th Jun 2008, 19:12
Thanks for the runway correction, was using incorrect data

G-STAW
30th Jun 2008, 19:17
hi,

i thought something was up when the XL crew told something has happened, but they couldnt tell us, the airport was closed for a short while.

glad the pilot was ok.....

G-STAW

G-CPTN
30th Jun 2008, 19:23
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world! (http://wikimapia.org/#lat=53.3477782&lon=-2.2779572&z=20&l=0&m=a&v=1)

Sam-MAN
30th Jun 2008, 19:25
Runways changed from 24R/06L and 24L/06R changed to 23R/05L and 23L/05R sometime last summer (6th June?)

Sam

spannersatKL
30th Jun 2008, 19:39
Nicely handled by al concerned.....(though pity the left engine wasn't shut down and motored to stop the prop strike .......avoids half the cost of repair!!!) Fire proof vest now donned and awaiting flaming!!!!:ok:

blue monday
30th Jun 2008, 19:51
Nicely handled by al concerned.....(though pity the left engine wasn't shut down and motored to stop the prop strike .......avoids half the cost of repair!!!) Fire proof vest now donned and awaiting flaming!!!!:ok:

Maybe he had 3 greens so wasn't aware of the fault, or he could have forgot in a panic!? does anyone know if he called Pan on approach?

frostbite
30th Jun 2008, 19:55
Judging from the position of those vehicles as he approached, I would guess they were aware of a situation.

G-STAW
30th Jun 2008, 19:59
Runways changed from 24R/06L and 24L/06R changed to 23R/05L and 23L/05R sometime last summer (6th June?)

change on 7th june

G-STAW

Sam-MAN
30th Jun 2008, 20:02
I'd assume he knew about the problem and let ATC know as they normally only use 23L for emergencies (although admittedly I've seen a few light aircraft land on 23L)

Sam

threestable
30th Jun 2008, 20:15
Shut down.. :ok:......... then motored? :confused: Hmmmmmm. Don't quite know where you are going there...

Well done pilot, been there one day at BFS. Not that pleasant. Looks like you fulfilled the requirement. Ignore the 'experts' and give yourself a well earned 'pat'.:D:D

Sam-MAN
30th Jun 2008, 20:27
Passengers' crash plane escape - News - Manchester Evening News (http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/s/1056121_passengers_crash_plane_escape)

'lucky to escape'
'jumped out as it skidded sideways'

Talk about drama queens :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

peterowensfanclub
30th Jun 2008, 20:29
I believe that may be the aircraft owned by a rather nice caa cardilogist. MR BC
I bet that caused a spike in his ecg.:ok:

superspotter
30th Jun 2008, 20:45
I'm surprised the M.E.N. managed to report the correct airport:(

spekesoftly
30th Jun 2008, 20:47
'jumped out as it skidded sideways'

Sam,

I suggest you've added a bit of your own drama by misquoting the MEN report. It states that they jumped out after it skidded sideways.

Sam-MAN
30th Jun 2008, 20:51
I suggest you've added a bit of your own drama by misquoting the MEN report. It states that they jumped out after it skidded sideways.

Whoops :} Better read it properly next time

Tim_CPL
30th Jun 2008, 21:54
No flame, but in this situation, I would want both engines running, tear-down be dammed, in case I have to do a go-around or sods law prevails and the other one decideds to go on "holiday"
Let the insurers sort out the engine and prop, that's way we pay them so damn much in the first place!

- Tim

Manc
30th Jun 2008, 23:15
(although admittedly I've seen a few light aircraft land on 23L)

That's a procedure that was introduced in early 2004 (if memory serves).

It avoids the difficulty of slotting slower GA traffic in with everything else landing on 23R. There's usually little or no waiting to land on 23L instead of having to hold over Handforth (or even closer) as it's easy to nip in before the next departure. Departures aren't really held up as there's no problem for light aircraft to vacate at or before VD1 (600ish metres from the threshold) and it's a short taxi back to the light aircraft park from link Bravo.

BYALPHAINDIA
1st Jul 2008, 00:15
Crash didn't do any good for the GA presence at MAN, After all MAN will be a 'non' GA Airport soon.:*

42psi
1st Jul 2008, 11:45
Crash didn't do any good for the GA presence at MAN, After all MAN will be a 'non' GA Airport soon

I'm curious .. what makes you say that? ...... with NEA being taken over by Ocean Sky it seems that GA has actually been far more active.....

woofly31
1st Jul 2008, 15:20
I second that.:ok: Would'nt want to be in a single engine go around situation at low level in a light twin. I trained in JDBC, lovely aircraft to fly so hope it's back up and running very soon. A well handled situation by the guys at JDA.:ok:

pilotbear
1st Jul 2008, 21:47
'shut down then motored'.......Correct.
Shut down engine then use starter motor to set prop horizontal to prevent strike. Not rocket science really:E

Not really an emergency is it either, why be unprofessional about it. Good practice to save the engine if possible.:ok:

XL319
1st Jul 2008, 23:39
BYALPHAINDIA....what a load of old tosh.....MAN not being a GA airport shortly and doing no good for GA presence!!! :=

If an aircraft has a problem like this who gives a stuff whether the airport in GA "friendly" or not...FACT IS....it is an emergency and should be treated with PRIORITY regardless of where it is.

Half of you talk about saving your precious aircraft rather than you and your passengers....:*

I pleased to see no fatalities :D

Rant over :O

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
2nd Jul 2008, 10:07
It avoids the difficulty of slotting slower GA traffic in with everything else landing on 23R.

Not like the olden days of trying to slot Bruce Martin's pleasure flights Auster into the Summer traffic on 24/06!

frontlefthamster
2nd Jul 2008, 20:07
Half of you talk about saving your precious aircraft rather than you and your passengers....

Yes, and we in this half know what we're talking about. A simple gear failure on a type renowned for such things (and it's only a piston twin for heaven's sake) should pose no threat to safety. Note I said should.

An able pilot will deliver crew and contents unharmed, and an aircraft with minimal damage.

XL319, your comment does not do you credit. Make a mountain out of a molehill on your own aircraft, by all means, and face the consequences, but don't turn a simple gear problem into life or death when it isn't.

Adios
2nd Jul 2008, 20:36
You can see that the gear is not all the way down in the first Dale Coleman pic. Based on that, I seriously doubt he had three greens, which would explain the emergency vehicles waiting in the background.

XL319
3rd Jul 2008, 22:45
Sorry but I disagree.....any problems with aircraft "could" result in a worse scenario than what happened.

Ok it's landing gear problem....but it it's a safety issue nevertheless...and should regarded as such.

RoyHudd
30th Jul 2008, 23:28
You H & S old chap? Sound like it.....:rolleyes:

frontlefthamster
31st Jul 2008, 21:57
Roy, you've a point there, I think... He's certainly not a professional pilot...