PDA

View Full Version : Paranoid over flypast for retiring RAAF 707 in Sydney!!!

Pontious a Pirate
30th Jun 2008, 11:01
:ugh:

The sight of an airliner and a "Fast Jet" causes mayhem in Sydney!

Its all getting a bit silly.

Sydney fly-past sparks confusion

By Nick Bryant
BBC News, Sydney
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/shared/img/999999.gif

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44790000/jpg/_44790586_-36.jpg The planes flew low above Sydney's harbour bridge

Defence officials have had to allay the concerns of Sydney office workers, who watched as an air force fighter chased what appeared to be a passenger plane.
Some people thought Australia's most popular city might be coming under attack.
Instead the Australian Defence Force was bidding farewell to one of its aircraft.
The media had been alerted about the fly-past over Sydney harbour bridge but not, apparently, the public.
A number of office workers decided to evacuate their skyscrapers after watching in alarm as a passenger plane flew low over Sydney harbour chased by an air force fighter.
After flying over the city the planes banked over the coast then headed back towards the central business district.
One eyewitness said the sight and sound of the planes was "terrifying".
Another said he'd never been so scared. But rather than witnessing the pursuit of a hijacked plane, the office workers were watching a farewell flight. One of the defence force's Boeing 707 aircraft was being retired from service, shadowed by a hawk fighter from which aerial photographs were being taken.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Shame they didn't fly under the bridge :E:E:E

oldpinger
30th Jun 2008, 11:32
Didn't this happen a few years ago when a USAF 707 did the same thing and caused the same reaction??:ugh: you'd think RAAF PR would've learn't by now.

Here's a good idea, lets fly a large passenger jet low over the CBD, what could possibly go wrong??:rolleyes:

PLovett
30th Jun 2008, 12:59
Sydney residents are given to outbreaks of idiocy for no apparent reason. Hopeless. :rolleyes:

Double Zero
30th Jun 2008, 14:06
Well, could be worse;

If they tried it in the U.S. Today there'd probably be some nut with a private Bofors or Stinger lounging on his porch !

In reality, methinks someone somewhere should have told the public who in a way were justified in being a little panicky; or am I missing something about PUBLIC relations opportunities ?

Then again, perhaps saying " we're going to fly a large knackered plane over you just before we retire it " would have REALLY caused a mass evacuation ( of every sort ).

brickhistory
30th Jun 2008, 14:25
If they tried it in the U.S. Today there'd probably be some nut with a private Bofors or Stinger lounging on his porch !

Now, now, don't be jealous.

In reality, methinks someone somewhere should have told the public who in a way were justified in being a little panicky; or am I missing something about PUBLIC relations opportunities ?

Was involved peripherally in something similiar a couple of years past. Funeral flyovers at Arlington National Cemetery are nothing new, but usually consist of a two or four ship of fighters.

For a retired SAC general being interred,however, a B-52 flyover was arranged. Remember this is post-9/11. My then boss, one duty being liaison with the FAA, finally convinced the USAF leadership that letting the media and public know of a BUFF going low level over DC might be a good thing to do ahead of time.

It was and turned into a good PR thing as the advance notice let people find viewing points. Bridges, tops of buildings, etc were packed with spectators. So from a potential scare to 'cool' with just a bit of common sense.

Double Zero
30th Jun 2008, 17:30
Brickhistory,

I think we agree then ?!

And BTW I AM jealous, we don't get to play with Bofors etc in our backyards here, ( except in Crawley where such kit is de rigeur just for a shopping trip ) and I'm not allowed to even carry a bazooka to pass greetings to inconsiderate motor boats from my sailboat.

It's not often mentioned, but unfortunuantely Tom Clancy ( whose work especially 'Red Storm Rising' I admire very much ) came up with the idea of a hi-jacked 747 attacking the White House before 9/11.

I trust it's surrounded by SAM's of every type now - I was flying ( as photographer ) in Cessna 172's a while ago, and my colleagues were more than a little concerned that the net result of the chap having a go at the White House with one was a little curled up ball of alloy which barely scuffed the railings !

I fear that any similar attack to 9/11 is likely to succeed ( internal defences notwithstanding, I'm aware of most but this is certainly not the place to discuss them ) as by the time anyone could really verify the situation & take the huge decision to down an airliner, it would be too late.

Anyway I've gone off skyscrapers ever since seeing 'Die Hard' & 'Speed' - yes, that's probably the sum of my knowledge, before someone else says it !

DZ

Blacksheep
30th Jun 2008, 17:55
...we don't get to play with Bofors etc in our backyards here,No, but one Manchester gang member keeps an SA80 under his bed and another has a GPMG in a lock-up garage. :uhoh:

Beatriz Fontana
30th Jun 2008, 18:40
I love the quote that the media were informed of the flypast event, but the public didn't seem to know. Ah, the power of the media, eh?

Anyone got any pics?

Double Zero
30th Jun 2008, 19:02
Beatriz,

well hopefully the Hawk got a shot or two - been there, done that ( Hawk that is for A-A phot's, not Australia ) - like most things, the only hard bit is the preparation !

Blacksheep,

what do mean " one or two in Manchester with guns " ?- missing a few zeroes aren't you ?

My neighbour has an immaculate Bren ( he had to smuggle it out of the Antiques shop under a coat for fear of being taken out by a trigger-happy police sniper ) - and I know someone with a half-track fitted with a 4 x.50 cal' Browning turret, in both instances unfortunateley de-activated; they'd be a lot more use against Gypsies than the police are !

Schwerpunkt
30th Jun 2008, 21:23
Oldpinger, 00 et al

The media were well informed of this event. It's a once-a-generation occasion, so there were media alerts that went out last Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. There were over a dozen media on the aircraft (presumably not SMH?!). I know that there were a number of interviews with media over the course of Friday, the weekend and Monday morning to try and get the word out. RAAF PR did do their job, they were well aware of past lessons. What goes on from there is then in the hands of the media, and the public.

I can understand that not everyone read the newspapers or heard radio that advised of the event. Still, should the Air Force never celebrate an historical occasion like this just because it cannot ensure it reaches every single person who might see the aircraft, and might not realise that it's our own aircraft?

I am surprised there have not been more photos, guess there would be if they played up the 'terror' aspect of the story. Unfortunately, most news organisations have taken a responsible 'retirement of the 707' tone, which obviously isn't as newsworthy! There are a few videos such as Daily Telegraph that are OK.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
30th Jun 2008, 22:43
I can understand that not everyone read the newspapersI haven't read a newspaper in my entire life and I'll be damned if I'll start now :*

stumpey
1st Jul 2008, 02:13
My Grandad always use to say "You wipe your a*se on paper"!
From what I see of most of them thats all their worth, that and wrapping up chips.

Sir Richard
1st Jul 2008, 03:00
Hope you use it for wrapping chips first.....:E

Like This - Do That
1st Jul 2008, 03:38
Here's Defence's gallery:

Final flight of Boeing 707 (http://www.defence.gov.au/media/download/2008/Jul/20080701/index.htm)

What a bunch of wet pants sookie-la-la pansy d1ckheads (CBD office workers, not 33SQN!).

komac2
1st Jul 2008, 03:39
Didn't this happen a few years ago when a USAF 707 did the same thing and caused the same reaction??:ugh: you'd think RAAF PR would've learn't by now.

Posted on ADF Website last thursday and sent to most relevent Aussie media:

26/06/2008

BOEING 707 FAREWELL FLIGHTS OVER SYDNEY
AND HAWKESBURY

Sydneysiders and residents of the Hawkesbury will catch an historic sight in the sky as the RAAF’s final Boeing 707 marks its last days of service.

The aircraft, known as ‘Richmond Town’, is operated by No. 33 Squadron at RAAF Base Richmond and is retiring on Monday 30 June, after 29 years of service.

Friday 27 June: The B707 is scheduled to return to RAAF Base Richmond from its most recent deployment to RAAF Base Darwin for Exercise Pitch Black 08.

Subject to operational requirements, a mid-afternoon flyover will take place on Friday, with the B707 leading a formation of up to eight F/A-18 Hornets over RAAF Base Richmond, at an altitude of no lower than 450 metres.

Monday 30 June: The B707 will conduct a flyover of Sydney Harbour between 10.30am and 11am, accompanied by a Hawk 127 Lead-In Fighter aircraft which will be used to collect imagery of the B707 over the Harbour.

The aircraft will fly at a minimum altitude of 500 metres. The two aircraft will enter the Harbour from Sydney Heads and orbit Sydney Harbour Bridge before returning to Richmond.

Monday 30 June: The B707 will conduct a flypast of No. 33 Squadron’s farewell parade at RAAF Richmond at approximately 2 pm.

‘Richmond Town’ will be distinguished by its dark blue tail scheme commemorating the aircraft’s service with the RAAF.

Fur further details of the flypasts, please contact:

Media contacts:
Raveena Carroll-Kenney Defence Public Affairs – NSW 0405 310 176
Flying Officer Eamon Hamilton 0413 328 271
Defence Media Liaison: 02 6265 3343 or 0408 498 664
ADF :: Online Media Room (http://www.defence.gov.au/media/AlertTpl.cfm?CurrentId=7905)

more that the media didn't bother to inform the general public I think or put out an advisory.

GreenKnight121
2nd Jul 2008, 06:20
It's not often mentioned, but unfortunuantely Tom Clancy ( whose work especially 'Red Storm Rising' I admire very much ) came up with the idea of a hi-jacked 747 attacking the White House before 9/11.

Actually, all he was doing was copying a real incident from the Nixon era:

"Samuel Joseph Byck (January 30, 1930 – February 22, 1974) was an unemployed former tire salesman who attempted to hijack a plane flying out of Baltimore-Washington International Airport on February 22, 1974. He intended to crash into the White House in hopes of killing U.S. President Richard Nixon."

Samuel Byck - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Byck)