PDA

View Full Version : A Question

CargoRat2
11th Apr 2001, 22:33
True story from Sunday 08Apr.
Was happily reading/contributing to pprune when your's truly had to answer a pressing call of nature. I disconected from "Dial-Up Network" and proceded to take care of nature's call (The page was still on my screen). This involved a lengthy "sit-down" whist contemplating the latest issue of Flight Intl.
Job done, one returns to his computer, only to discover that it has reconnected to some garbage (valueclick?)and has been happily connected while i was having a d*mp.
NOT IMPRESSED.
Seriously: How can I avoid this in future. Cookies are banned from my PC.

------------------
rgds Rat

OLD_EGG_BOUND
12th Apr 2001, 03:27
Install computer in 5hithouse so you can monitor pprune whilst cable laying.

CargoRat2
12th Apr 2001, 10:42
Ah! Of course, silly me. Seriously though, how can it re-connect all by itself?

------------------
rgds Rat

PPRuNe Dispatcher
12th Apr 2001, 12:17
For IE5 :

Click on the menu items Tools/Internet Options.../Connections
Make sure that Dial-up settings are set to "Never dial a connection".

From then onwards you must manually connect.

SLF 999
12th Apr 2001, 14:53
You dont by any chance have recently installed IE 5.5?. If so I have the same problem which I thought was resolved by changing settings in outlook, but it has returned.
I have gone through all the usual things but cant find anything at all that is causing this.
Personally I think it has something to do with IE 5.5, but even microsoft havent got an answer.
If anyone can help I would be interested in the answer.

SLF 999
12th Apr 2001, 15:15
The link below takes you to the Product support area in Microsoft.com and the Newsgroups where several people are reporting similar things, it also has a lot of info on cookies etc.
This may answer some of the questions.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/IE/ie5/topics/newsgroup.asp?LN=EN-GB&SD=gn&FR=0

CargoRat2
16th Apr 2001, 14:24
Thanks folks; no nothing to do with 5.5
Here's another story - was late in replying 'coz my graphics card developed a mind of its own (would only work in 16 colours/480x680). Well I got it sorted a few minutes ago but here's the killer: My dial-up connection is now running at DOUBLE data xfer rate!!!! Not complaining, but all I did was re-install Win98 & graphics drivers & monitor drivers. Weird.

------------------
rgds Rat