PDA

View Full Version : seeking 50's/60's airliner

Effluent Man
30th Jun 2008, 10:04
Just doing a bit of research into the viability of a business project.Does anyone know the likely cost/availabilty of a largeish 50/60's airliner.It would not need to be airworthy,or even have engines as the intended use is a restaurant. A Vanguard,Brittania, sort of size would be useful.

Phileas Fogg
30th Jun 2008, 10:57
There is a lot of difference between having engines and being airworthy. Unless you're looking at something like a B707, DC8 or geriatric B747 whereas you might find one still flying (maybe a freighter) that is ready for retirement, then to get a 'museum piece' airworthy is going to cost a packet, look at what Qantas went through to get the B707 out of Southend last year.

Kitbag
30th Jun 2008, 11:05
then to get a 'museum piece' airworthy is going to cost a packet

Luckily that is not what Effluent Man wants to do

It would not need to be airworthy,or even have engines as the intended use is a restaurant

WHBM
30th Jun 2008, 11:42
There have been several of these over time around the world, using old airframes as restaurants. I've even gone to use them myself (who remembers the Constellation at Faro ?). They never seem to last more than a few years. The issues seem to be :

1. The novelty wears off for the local market.
2. Airframe deterioration becomes very expensive to repair, especially something 50 years old to start with.
3. The restricted fuselage size does not suit a restaurant.

If I really wanted to do this (which I don't !) I would consider what the Marriott Hotel at the old Liverpool Airport did for their forecourt with a Dragon Rapide, and have a full-sized authentic-looking model built using appropriate weatherproof non-aviation materials.

Phileas Fogg
30th Jun 2008, 14:44
Sorry, I misread the original post but, particularly, if the thing can't fly then how would one get something the size of a Britannia or Vanguard to an off airport location?

PaperTiger
30th Jun 2008, 15:36
if the thing can't fly then how would one get something the size of a Britannia or Vanguard to an off airport location?Disassembled, by road.

Agree with WHBM, save your money. Long-term these airplane restaurants do not survive unless an integral part of a larger attraction. Even then it's a dodgy proposition.

norwich
30th Jun 2008, 20:07
Effluent Man, Have you considered the CL-44-0, sitting, seemingly unwanted, at Bournemouth, one of only three left in the world, huge area to adapt, would buy a burger etc anytime in this, especially if it were in Norwich ????

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/keithnewsome/old%20props/1354024.jpg

evansb
30th Jun 2008, 23:23
The CL-44 would make a better bowling alley than a cafe.:)

411A
1st Jul 2008, 00:07
The CL-44 would make a better bowling alley than a cafe.

Aside from the fact that this aircraft is butt-ugly to begin with, it is not likely that anyone would desire to go bowling in that contraption.

Beer cans?
Now that I can understand.:ok:

norwich
1st Jul 2008, 20:42
Sled Dog, I think you may be thinking of the Shorts Belfast at Southend ? Which seems to be in the same, neglected, state as the CL-44-0 ?
Two large freighters, both in the UK, both seemingly destined to be converted to flying pans (pun) ! How sad is that ? Keith.

philbky
1st Jul 2008, 22:52
Norwich, the CL-44-0, otherwise known as the Conroy Guppy is the only one of its type ever converted from a CL44 and is, therefore, the only one in the world.

John Hill
2nd Jul 2008, 01:29
http://images3.realestate.co.nz/edi/virtour028/photos/PP783797-1.jpg
Find something like this and make it a drive through!:}

sled dog
2nd Jul 2008, 18:52
John, i saw this a/c in February whilst in NZ. Is there not a cafe next door ?

evansb
3rd Jul 2008, 02:32
The price is right on this Andover. It would make a nice chippy. Too bad it is in Sudan.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/NZ_Andover_Sudan.jpg

John Hill
3rd Jul 2008, 02:45
Too right Sled Dog, the Whistling Wheelbarrow does indeed have a cafe next door. I was stationed at the nearby airport during some of the years the Argosy was operating.