PDA

View Full Version : Log In dropping out.

Islander Jock
30th Jun 2008, 04:20
Recently I have been having more and more instances of my login dropping out when moving between threads or even pages. Also it can take many attempts to log back in. Only seems to be a problem with PPRUNE as many other secure sites (banking and govt) work fine.

Any ideas?

PPRuNe Towers
30th Jun 2008, 08:51
Try searching for and deleting every cookie with the word PPRuNe in it.

Restart browser and log in again with the remember me box ticked if that's how you'd normally do it.

You could also see if you have the same problem on another machine and another browser you've never used for PPRuNe before.

Rob

Conan The Barber
30th Jun 2008, 10:56
I am experiencing similar problems.

Different browsers make no difference. I do not accept any cookies.

After the short period recently where it was possible to view without logging in, I had an endless stream of database error messages for a couple of days. When that stopped this started.

P.S. What is trackbacks?

I got logged out again when posting this message. After having logged in again and trying to edit I got logged out once more. The timestamp is also wrong.

frostbite
30th Jun 2008, 11:37
"I do not accept any cookies."

I would guess that is the answer to your problem.

Conan The Barber
30th Jun 2008, 12:33
Me not accepting cookies is not new. The problem is.

But, as I am an adventurous spirit I tried the cookie thing. The difference was none.

Saab Dastard
30th Jun 2008, 13:14
I have escalated this to "the powers that now be" - i.e. IB.

It does sound to me like it could be a session state problem (server side, that is).

SD

Saab Dastard
30th Jun 2008, 20:35
Response from Admin:

This is definitely a cookie / session state issue. Without cookies enabled the only way to remember someone is to enable server-side session storage. This can be done, however it opens up the system to security issues that we're not willing to do. We've seen it exploited in other vB forums unfortunately.

Our advice is to enable cookies for PPruNe.

SD

Conan The Barber
1st Jul 2008, 15:26
As I mentioned previously I have tried with cookies on and off. It makes no difference.

I have tried FF3, IE7 and Safari. Using the first two I get logged out constantly. Safari is reasonably stable with the problem occurring only sporadically.

As this problem only started a few days ago I assume there has been some changes to the setup server side.