PDA

View Full Version : Is FAA licence an ICAO licence?

Sonic69
30th Jun 2008, 03:05
I read in pilot job postings that there are 2 broad categories of licence - ICAO and JAR. Occasionally, there will be a posting that states "FAA licence preferred".
Can someone give me a definitive answer on whether an FAA licence fulfills the requirements of a valid ICAO licence for the purpose of job application?

Here is an example of a job listing from PARC Aviation:

Experience/Skills:
ICAO Licence

A320 FO Minimum Requirements
- Current ICAO Licence
- Current Class 1 Medical
- Current on A320
- 2000 hours total time
- 1500 hours on jet
- 1000 hours on A320
- Age 58 at start of contract
- Ideally with last actual (NOT simulated) flight within last 6 months.

The context that I am asking this question is I am deciding between pursuing my CPL and ATPL in either Canada or the USA. My preference would be for the US but I have heard (rumours) that the FAA licence is not highly regarded in some parts of the world. I aim to fly in Middle East, China or South East Asia. I am not a US citizen.

nich-av
30th Jun 2008, 03:22
Jar is ICAO.

Every license delivered by countries that signed the Chicago Convention and that meet its requirements are recognised as Icao licenses.

So actually almost any pilot s license is Icao.

Some countries deliver national licenses that are only valid in that country's airspace but this is rarely the case of commercial licenses (for obvious reasons).

You should be fine with a US license in the Middle-East and Asia, what really matters is your experience on jet aircraft if you want to get a job there.
Don't imagine that you will get a B777 job with Emirates with only 500 hours on C172.

Canada has higher standards, I agree, but they are more expensive by a significant margin.

TelBoy
30th Jun 2008, 07:51
Both FAA and Transport Canada ARE ICAO licences (as are all JAA).The areas you want to fly in will probably be fine on an FAA licence, but some reagons require you to do extra training for their local ops. There will be more knowlagable people on this forum than myself regarding that.You need to work out a plan from training, through gaining experience to your chosen destiny. This will help you work out what is best for you.You do not need to be a US citizen to train in the US, but will need to go through TSA and visa requirements.Good luck to to you and safe flying.