PDA

View Full Version : importing iTunes library?

Squawk7777
30th Jun 2008, 01:03
Hiya!

Here's the short version: Got a new laptop. Downloading + installing iTunes and realising that my ipod is about to be erased because iTunes doesn't recognise my (old) ipod. Here's the little catch: Most songs and videos I put on the ipod ae not on my hdd any more. So right now I cannot add any new songs/videos/pictures etc. :{ Quick browsing on the net revealed some programmes that are able to import the library from the ipod to iTunes, but they all want $$$ (Euros, quid, pesos). :rolleyes:

Can anybody recommend a good (and possibly free) programme?

Many thanks,

7 7 7 7

Wangja
30th Jun 2008, 01:12
I don't think the library is stored on the iPod, I think it is on the one dedicated hard disk of your old computer.

Bushfiva
30th Jun 2008, 02:10
Yamipod or Senuti.

isi3000
30th Jun 2008, 10:46
I think all IPods do this. Mine could only have songs added by using the same computer library! When I tried to use a different computer, it erased all my music :rolleyes:

Salusa
30th Jun 2008, 11:01
Is there not an option to "Authorize" your computer under the <Store> menu?

I believe you can have upto seven PC's authorized, but are still able to "Deauthorize" any old PC's.

It should then synchronize your iPod to the new iTunes installation.

Not 100% sure though.

Background Noise
30th Jun 2008, 15:49
I just googled 'transfer ipod tracks to new computer' and got this How to use your iPod to move your music to a new computer (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1329) amongst many others

born2fly_au
2nd Jul 2008, 19:17
There is a clip on Tekzilla.com that explains it simply. Here is the direct link iTunes - Restore iPod Music to Your PC &mdash; Tekzilla Daily Tip &mdash; Revision3 (http://revision3.com/tzdaily/2008-06-26irecovery)
born2fly

reynoldsno1
2nd Jul 2008, 21:51
Buy another mp3 player that just lets you drag and drop from anywhere ... iTunes, gimme a break...:rolleyes:

Keef
2nd Jul 2008, 23:20
I wish I'd known that before I bought an Ipod and installed Itunes. What a pesky nightmare!

obgraham
3rd Jul 2008, 04:17
How about this concept: have a backup of your music library. Mine's on a USB portable hard drive.

Wangja
3rd Jul 2008, 04:49
Buy another mp3 player that just lets you drag and drop from anywhere ... iTunes, gimme a break...

Ain't that the truth ... my next will be iRiver, Zen or anything but iPod with that high-piled pooh iTunes ...

Wangja
3rd Jul 2008, 04:54
I just googled 'transfer ipod tracks to new computer' and got this How to use your iPod to move your music to a new computer amongst many others

Very useful: but a dozen screen shots to explain what would be one "drag 'n' drop" with real software?