PDA

View Full Version : A sad day - United Airlines to cut 950 pilot jobs

cx252
30th Jun 2008, 00:59
As predited, they just kicked off the game.

CHICAGO (http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/06/23/business/NA-FIN-COM-US-United-Pilots.php#): United Airlines said Monday it plans to eliminate about 950 pilot jobs beginning this summer in addition to an already announced plan to cut 1,600 salaried positions and reduce its fleet. The second-largest U.S. carrier told its pilots union about the cuts Monday and said it's still working out the reductions with the group. Dave Kelly, a spokesman for the United branch of the Air Line Pilots Association, declined to comment.
The initial furlough notices will go out in mid-July and take effect in September, United spokeswoman Megan McCarthy said. The cuts will continue into next year, she said.United has about 6,600 active pilots, McCarthy said.At an investors' conference last week, United executives gave details on plans to shed up to 1,600 salaried jobs but didn't specify what those positions would be. The cuts announced Monday are in addition to those reductions, McCarthy said.

"As we reduce the size of our fleet and take actions companywide to enable United to compete in an environment of record fuel prices, we must take the difficult but necessary step to reduce the number of people we have to run our business," the company said a statement.
Chicago-based United parent UAL Corp. has made a series of moves in recent weeks to battle rising fuel costs, including grounding at least 70 planes. On Friday, UAL announced it will start requiring minimum stays for nearly all domestic coach seats beginning in October and is raising its cheapest fares by as much as $90 one-way.
United and US Airways also recently joined American Airlines in charging passengers $15 to check their first piece of luggage.
UAL shares fell $1.07, or 15 percent, to $6.09 Monday.

Apple Tree Yard
30th Jun 2008, 01:26
...uhh, yes....they announced this about 5 days ago...:ok:

stillalbatross
30th Jun 2008, 02:23
Maybe we can give them all DEC positions like we did with Oasis. Everyone was so keen to help out last time there were pilots out of work. The number of posts on here vilifying CX if they hadn't helped out Oasis was staggering. Can we expect much of the same again?

The Management
30th Jun 2008, 03:53
The Senior United Airlines pilots may apply for our up and coming Direct Entry Command positions (B777, B747-400F/800F) on a base.

The Conditions of Service will be somewhat less then the going B Scale rate with reduced post 97 medical, reduced P fund contributions, etc. These positions will never be eligible for a Hong Kong base unless the candidates are willing to accept the Hong Kong base without expatriate conditions.

Many Senior Pilots have signed up for these conditions on the freighter, as with the former Oasis pilots, so this will be the benchmark for future recruits.

As for our $60 million settlement, we have made much more in our years controlling the price so it is a small price to pay for making huge profits. We will of course put this on our accounts and this will affect our profits that we declare. It may well affect the Hong Kong Based 13th month. Those on a base don’t receive a 13th month and will not be affected but we still demand this people work to the fullest.

Those pilots that do not qualify for DEC positions are invited to apply for our B747-400/800 First Officer positions. Commands on the Freighter aircraft can be as low as 2-4 years for suitable candidates.

Our pilot recruitment has and never will be a problem at The CP Group and it just got better.

To My Bonus.

The Management

uspilot
30th Jun 2008, 04:58
It's a sad day for all

But none of those 950 are coming of B744 or B777 most are the new hires that Ual hired last year. All are from A320/B737 fleet. most were RJ drivers and none with any widebody time. I was told 54 are coming of B757 . to hold widebody at UAL you need to have 10 to 12 years with company. So I don't see how they will get in as DEC, but than again what do I know. Most of the guys I talk to say they are leaving the airline work and others are looking at EK and other gulf airline. I talked to few guys about CX and they said no thank as they think the interview process is very hard and they don't have any time to get drill and they have heard bad storys about training.

poydras
1st Jul 2008, 01:28
Same on this side.I spoke to some UAL guys and the answer was;
thanks but no thanks. Too much BS to put up with at CX.

I guess i will never know the difference.........................