PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen question

Takeoff WAT
29th Jun 2008, 08:02
Hi All,
At the risk of provoking an entire list of flight planning products from everyone, I wondered if anyone had any experience of using Jeppesen's Internet Flight Planner (JITF) product.

I've read the blurb on their website but wondered how useful it was as it gives the impression that it uses the same planning engine as "jetplan.com" but seems remarkably cheap.

Is it limited to GA use only? Limited to certain aircraft types only?

Yes, I am going to talk to Jeppesen but as it's Sunday I wondered if anyone out there in PPRUNE-land had any input?

T/O WAT

CirrusF
29th Jun 2008, 09:28
I used it for a year or so but I did not renew my subscription. I think the concept of it is very good, but it needs further development to become really useful.

If you are already familiar with Flitestar, you will find the interface familiar too. But it is much simplified in comparison to Flitestar and a lot of advanced features are missing.

It's speed is dependent on your internet connection - it is just about tolerable if you are on a fast internet connection - but forget it if you are using it (say) on GSM Edge or GPRS.

You have to install a small program on the local computer - which is a big drawback, as you can't usually do that in say an airport ops room. It would be much more useful if it were a purely remote application that could be logged into from any internet browser. Also, there is no access to Jeppview approach cards - so you can't make a full trip kit. It would be a big improvement if it were possible to download "Pay as You go" approach cards.

There are some small bugs - just like Flitestar the automatically generated ICAO flightplans are pretty ropey and require editing before submission - but annoyingly JIFP does not remember your changes, so you have to re-edit the flightplan every time you load a stored route, or even browse away from the flightplan page for a moment.

You can store aircraft models on the server (with similar interface to Flitestar) but they are a little simplified. You can't store Corporate Flitestar models.

In summary it is not anywhere near complete or developed enough if you are corporate flying. Even for a GA pilot, the lack of approach plates greatly limits its usefulness.

Takeoff WAT
29th Jun 2008, 15:37
Many thanks Cirrusfrance, much appreciated.

Probably stick with jetplan.com then.

T/O

merlinxx
30th Jun 2008, 09:28
Hve you talked to the folks down at Alteon House?

Upslope
5th Jul 2008, 16:01
Sorry to go off topic slightly but I use Flitestar and was wondering where I can go to get an update subscription. Can't seem to find anywhere on the net and all the numbers I have seen are for either the States or for Germany
Cheers

Check 6
5th Jul 2008, 20:59
I have a jetplan.com (Jeppesen) account, but I just opened a free three week trial account with Universal Weather.

Jetplan's software (according to Jeppesen) is based on the old dial-up modem technology. I agree that when filing an ICAO flight plan it must be edited manually each and every time to be accepted by Eurocontrol.

On the other hand, Universal Weather's flight planning is quite simple. So far I like their product.

Here is a link to their on-line DEMO (http://universalweather.com/uvflightplanner/demo.html).

Sign up for a free three week trial (http://universalweather.com/uvflightplanner/free_trial.html)here. No credit card required.

Here are their plans/pricing (http://universalweather.com/uvflightplanner/pricing.html).

refplus20
5th Jul 2008, 21:28
It appears from UV's pricing plans that you have to pay a per plan charge whereas I believe with some Jeppesen pricing plans you can run unlimited plans per month.

emmad
6th Jul 2008, 00:58
UVAir, Arinc and GDC all have an annual subscription plan which includes unlimited everything. Usually around $8000 to $9000.