PDA

View Full Version : Phantom trip on BBC Natonwide

bottom rung
29th Jun 2008, 07:56
Hi all. When I was an impressionable youth in the mid 70's, I recall a reporter on BBC's Nationwide news program (James Hogg I think) being filmed getting a ride in an F4. Does anyone else remember it? Even better, is there a video clip available anywhere? Already tried the usual websites. Ta!

Geezers of Nazareth
29th Jun 2008, 11:35
I can't remember a Phantom trip, but I can remember a (female) Nationwide reporter going on a Jaguar trip, obviously out of RAF Coltishall.

The reporter concerned was seen donning an immersion suit, and being told to do-up all the straps as tight as she could. The some 'gorilla' from the RAF picked her up and shook her like a rag-doll, and then did the straps up another notch! At the time, she was also supposed to be giving-up smoking, and was so nervous that she was caught on-camera having a crafty fag before the flight!

BEagle
29th Jun 2008, 12:34
I think you'll find that the BBC Phantom trip was part of the Man Alive series, not Nationwide. Regrettably, during the making of the programme, a Phantom crashed, killing the crew, whilst performing a 'Canadian Break' behind the camera aircraft,

The Jaguar flight was, if I recall correctly, on Tomorrow's World and featured Su Ingle flying from Boscombe Down, I think. Why do I remember that event? Well, I thought Su was rather tasty and she said on the programme that the RAF had told her that she wasn't allowed to wear anything made of nylon under her flying clothing.....:ooh: Mental images of Su in an RAF green shirt and a smile (and nothing else) rose to mind...:E

4mastacker
29th Jun 2008, 14:45
A well-known female newsreader was another BBC personality who had a back-seat trip. Not long after they had moved up from Kemble, she came to Scampton to fly with the Red Arrows - with whom she had a...ahem... close relationship. Due to her high-profile at the time, us mere mortals sneeked a look at the filming of the proceedings. After her flight, her face was, allegedly, the same colour green as her flying suit and she needed the attention of the make-up department before regaining her composure and doing her piece to camera.

BEagle, got to agree with your visual appreciation of Su Ingle. :ok:

Geezers of Nazareth
30th Jun 2008, 10:13
The Jaguar flight was, if I recall correctly, on Tomorrow's World and featured Su Ingle flying from Boscombe Down, I think. Why do I remember that event? Well, I thought Su was rather tasty and she said on the programme that the RAF had told her that she wasn't allowed to wear anything made of nylon under her flying clothing.....:ooh: Mental images of Su in an RAF green shirt and a smile (and nothing else) rose to mind...:E

That (TW/BD) flight must have been another one, as the one I'm thinking of was definitely Nationwide. I can remember that some time later she died (nothing to do with the flying, possibly cancer-related?) and it was quite big news because she was so well known and still relatively young.

Geezers of Nazareth
30th Jun 2008, 10:27
I think I've just found the name ... (ain't Google wonderful ...) It was Diane Harron.

bottom rung
30th Jun 2008, 11:47
The one I'm thinking of was part of a series.... I think one of the other episodes was when James Hogg was marooned on an unhabited island in the outer hebrides for a week or so, and the F4 trip was one of the others. I am happy to be corrected, as at the time I was about 15 and my brain was being scrambled by testosterone.

None of the above
3rd Jul 2008, 18:22
This will either clear things up completely or succeed in muddying the waters even further........

James Hogg (he of Nationwide) did an exercise in surviving by his wits on a remote Scottish island. Towards the end of the project an RAF F4 did a low fly past for both his and the viewers benefit.

Always quite admired Diane Harron meself.......... in a quiet, gentlemanly sort of way, you understand.:E

stevef
3rd Jul 2008, 18:58
I remember a TV documentary in the 70s (?) focusing on the role of our armed services in Germany and the perceived Soviet threat. It discussed the pressure the RAF was under to maintain a solid defence and also the physical stresses on the aircrew. A reporter (this is possibly the same programme referred to by BEagle) flew as a Phantom backseater and had to break off his terse commentary to bring up what sounded like his previous day's breakfast during some quite abrupt low level manouevres.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
3rd Jul 2008, 19:45
The one I'm thinking of was part of a series.... I think one of the other episodes was when James Hogg was marooned on an unhabited island in the outer hebrides for a week or soI remember that one. He did one bit where he said he'd caught and eaten a fish though unfortunately because either the survival school forgot to tell him, or he forgot to listen, he'd eaten it all, including the guts. He looked pretty :yuk:

NickB
4th Jul 2008, 09:25
I remember a Blue Peter presenter (she who now presents Ghost hunting prog etc) who got a trip in a Lightning just before Binbrook closed. She too I believe turned the same colour as her flying suit!