PDA

View Full Version : Good IFR Procedures Trainer?

beaver eager
8th Apr 2001, 14:45
Has anyone got any recommendations for a decent programme that would help me to re-vamp my scan.

When I got my first job on the Airlines, my scan was red hot having practised for an hour a day on a FRASCA. The flying school where I instructed used to allow the instructors to use it free when not being used by paying customers.

Anyway, four and a half years later, and having had a command on ATR42/72 and now AVRO RJ100, I feel that my attempts at raw data ILSs are pretty naff.

I know that comparing them to the autopilot is a waste of time and that you don't have to "nail it" all the way down like the A/P F/D does, and that half scale deflection on bothe G/S and Loc is an IR pass.... but most F/Os can do a bloody good job and my professional pride makes me want to be as good as I used to be when I practised more often. (BTW, despite what I say, I've never had too much difficulty with base checks/OPCs etc.)

I think part of my problem is that when practicing in the FRASCA for those elusive job interview sim rides, you always flew stabilised approaches, but out on the line it's always 160 to 4 DME and then the Gnd/Spd (ROD) and Drift start changing as you slow down and with the large pitch changes as the flaps run, my capacity gets a bit challenged!

Anyway it's nothing a bit of practice won't cure, but I won't hand fly on raw data unless visual and as that happens so rarely in the UK these days (is it ever going to stop raining?) I'm just not getting enough practice. Maybe I just expect too much of myself, I did get quite good at the ATR eventually but it took nearly three years!

Anyway, last year I mentioned to the better half that I wanted a flight sim computer program with which to practice my scan, so on my Birthday, she duly came home with the most expensive program she could find (who could ask for a better wife?), a wonderful program called Airline Simulator Two. It's kin' great, autopilot, ATC, Programmable FMC, checklists, AERAD Charts,etc. In fact everything a nerdy wannabe could wish for when building a virtual career as an airline pilot. The trouble is, I don't want to call for push back when at home, I just want to practice my ILSs. There's so many keystrokes to learn on this program that I just don't have the time/enthusiasm for it and being a BALPA rep for the whole of last year didn't help either! I need something that I can start instrument flying on pretty quickly without spending three years reading the instructions/online help files!

So what do you recommend folks.... and does anyone want to swap Airline Simulator 2 still in it's box (cost about £90 eighteen months ago, I think) for something that will be more use to me?

I suppose I must be more of a nerd than I thought to sit and write all this, eh?

(Posted on Computer/Internet Issues and Questions for maximum exposure to both pilots and nerds - no offence computer Fans, my Wife calls me a nerd just coz' of the time I spend on PPRuNe!)

Low_and_Slow
9th Apr 2001, 04:07
I've got a CH products yoke :

http://www.chproducts.com/index.html

and Jeppesen flightpro:

http://www.jeppesen.com/prodserv/flitepro/

In the US--total cost (with all US charts on 3CDs, flitepro, yoke): about $200. I understand that european charts are also available.

I find flitepro to be unstable enough that it really helps the scan. Also very useful for trying out an approach when I'm heading into an unfamiliar airport.

Only problem--only 2 planes: a Bonanza and a 172. Perhaps on-top or Elite are better in this regard.

[This message has been edited by Low_and_Slow (edited 09 April 2001).]

beaver eager
9th Apr 2001, 18:35
Thanks L&S,

Is it easy to set up though? Bearing in mind that I already know how to fly, will I be able to learn how to operate the program fairly quickly, and position/re-position myself onto, say, a 15 mile base leg for repeated ILSs easily?

------------------
Keep it up!

Low_and_Slow
10th Apr 2001, 01:50
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Is it easy to set up though? Bearing in mind that I already know how to fly, will I be able to learn how to operate the program fairly quickly, and position/re-position myself onto, say, a 15 mile base leg for repeated ILSs easily?
</font>
Very easy. The yoke can be had in a USB version that plugs into your computer. The software allows you to select an approach chart, and overlays the chart over a map of the area. You can then place your plane, set alt, airspeed, fuel, and fly the approach.

You can also set any failures you want (40% chance of vac failure in 10 minutes etc) set winds, vis, clouds...

I'll drop you an e-mail and you can ask specifics through that medium.

ACARS
10th Apr 2001, 03:29
I recommend Flitepro. Simcharts adds a new dimension to the sim. I use Flitepro with an ordinary joystick. I think yoke and pedals would be worth a purchase.

Remember, flitepro limited to two aircraft only.

Cheers

mstram
11th Apr 2001, 09:55
You can get a free demo of the ONTOP sim on the net. It runs for about 10 minutes, then nags you for a minute or two, then keeps running. Demo verision is limited to a couple of airports, but they do have ILS. Also there is a 5 or 6 diff planes, up to small twins.

I haven't seen the latest flitepro. I have an older version (6.3), and it is terribly over sensitive

If you have an opengl video card, I would recommend X-plane. Very smooth graphics, as the program 'takes over' the whole system.

If you have a fast internet connection, or a lot of patience, download the demo at x-plane.com

Mike

Irish Steve
12th Apr 2001, 01:16
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">, I just want to practice my ILSs. There's so many keystrokes to learn on this program that I just don't have the time/enthusiasm for it and being a BALPA rep for the whole of last year didn't help either! I need something that I can start instrument flying on pretty quickly without spending three years reading the instructions/online help files!
</font>

Several thoughts. Almost everything can be operated by mouse, so that's a help, and although you can't do this in real life, to allow for the time needed to make changes that would happen in other ways on a flight deck, hit the pause while you make them.

Another thing that might help, you can save a MODE file, which does not have to be on the ground, it can be in the air, at 4 miles, or whatever, which will allow you to repeatedly fly the same approach as many times as you want,

If you want to make it "interesting", try setting the outside air temp to something low like 0, and the overcast to 10/10. ( Yeah I know, it should really be Octas), and then see what happens. If you also have a cross wind set up, it can get exciting!

There's several things in AS2 that make it a lot more realistic than most sims, especially in the area of flight dynamics, and navigation aids, ( it's still the only sim that can correctly model an offset DME, or an NDB DME combination correctly.)

I've used the professional networked version of this software to produce a research simulation that's being used by BAe for Human factors work, with a pretty close A320 flight model, and a lot of the systems being implemented as well, with the added advantage that we don't use a mouse or PC keyboard anywhere, it's all done using a special board from the States (EPIC) that means we can have illuminated switches and the like that work like the real thing, as well as things like multiple throttles, and the like.

Anyway, enough from me, try the mouse, and see if that makes any difference. It is worth the effort, the flight models of the "new" aircraft in there are worth the time it takes to get to know them.

FOr sure, you'll find that a good Yoke & Rudder pedals are essential, best supplier I can suggest in the UK is RC simulation at Bristol Airport (+44 1275 474550), they have pretty much the best there is on both software and hardware ( usual disclaimers!)

Cheers

Steve