PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL Requirements: Urgent help needed

nojamat
28th Jun 2008, 22:47
Hi everybody.

Right now I'm in Phoenix, Arizona, making my Eclipse 500 TR.

I also wanted to achieve my FAA CPL license along with my TR, but it seems like I have a problem.

I have 550h TT, being about 270 in ME, and about 240 of these in night IFR in Florida.

The problem I just found is that a part of the FAA CPL (FAR 91.129 b) requirements, are as follows:

"One cross-country flight of at
least 2 hours in a multiengine airplane
in night VFR conditions, consisting of
a total straight-line distance of more
than 100 nautical miles from the original
point of departure"

"5 hours in night VFR conditions
with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with
each landing involving a flight with a
traffic pattern) at an airport with an
operating control tower."

What's that night VFR conditions mean? I assume it means VMC and that it doesn't matter if they are flown in IFR or VFR. But the people in the school where I am are telling me that those flights must be VFR flights.

Anyone can give me an answer to this? I need to have it solved before Tuesday.

Thanks in advance to everybody.

BigGrecian
28th Jun 2008, 23:13
VFR flight rules i.e in accordance with 91.155 which in summary means VMC.

However, those flights must be done with a "suitably qualified instructor", i.e an FAA CFI who must countersign your logbook.

nojamat
28th Jun 2008, 23:15
Thanks.

Yes, all the flights i made during that period where signed by the Chief Flight Instructor of the school where I rented the plane.

Is that enough??

BigGrecian
28th Jun 2008, 23:37
No.

It is a dual requirement which must be signed by the FAA CFI you flew with, along with his licence number and expiration date. If that information is not present - you'll need to do them again.

nojamat
29th Jun 2008, 00:37
Well, I have these hours covered by the Eclipse 500 training and signed by the instructor.

My real concern is about the solo night VFR flights.

Are they covered with my 240 night IFR flight hours?

BigGrecian
29th Jun 2008, 01:36
It is NOT a solo requirement. It is a DUAL requirement.

Both flights must have been flown with an instructor. (FAA Instructor)

nojamat
29th Jun 2008, 02:18
10 hours of solo flight time in a
multiengine airplane or 10 hours of
flight time performing the duties of
pilot in command in a multiengine airplane
with an authorized instructor (either
of which may be credited towards
the flight time requirement in paragraph
(b)(2) of this section), on the
areas of operation listed in § 61.127(b)(2)
of this part that includes at least—

(ii) 5 hours in night VFR conditions
with 10 takeoffs and 10 landings (with
each landing involving a flight with a
traffic pattern) at an airport with an
operating control tower.

Those are the ones I'm concerned, not the 2 hours cross-country. And what I don't know is if they can be IFR flights in VMC.

BigGrecian
29th Jun 2008, 03:16
Only you can tell whether they were under VFR conditions - read part 91!

No one here is going to tell you either way, they weren't there!

I would say though generally, it means not on an IFR flight plan.

nojamat
29th Jun 2008, 15:26
Sorry, but this was my first question

"What's that night VFR conditions mean? I assume it means VMC and that it doesn't matter if they are flown in IFR or VFR. But the people in the school where I am are telling me that those flights must be VFR flights."

I can interpret part 61 quite well.

The problem is what VFR conditions stand to.

Do they mean VMC? Yeah.

Would the examiner accept my night IFR flight time in VMC in Florida as this?

That's what I don't know.

v1valarob
29th Jun 2008, 20:05
While doing the necessary requirements for the commercial license, all of my cross countries where done under IFR flight plans. We maintained VFR at all times. To be honest, the only way anyone would know that you did not maintain VFR, was if you have any actual instrument logged. If you do, then you did not maintain VFR throughout the whole flight.

chrisbl
29th Jun 2008, 21:03
VFR conditions mean that you are responsible for the flight and seperation from other aircraft. For flight under VFR condition will be VMC with you get at most from ATC a flight following service if they can provide it.

An IFR flight plan gives you an ATC service through out the flight with seperation from other aircraft the responsibility of ATC.

So you do need to get 5 hours solo ie no one else in the aircraft with the required landings.

lilpilot
1st Jul 2008, 22:20
Your VFR night dual cross country acting as PIC (APIC) is exactly what it sounds like and must be logged as such. (1) Night (2) dual (3) cross country (4) APIC, last but not least (5) VFR - flown in VMC conditions AND under VFR flight rules.

The 5 hour night is dual-APIC in ME

The 10 night TO/LDG is also dual-APIC in ME

This is because no one will rent you a ME airplane flying solo, the insurance companies will not allow it, so you are left with APIC - acting PIC.

tume
7th Aug 2013, 06:10
Didn't want to start a new thread for a quick question that is similar, if someone can help that would be appreciated:

Taken from eCFR:

(3) 20 hours of training on the areas of operation listed in § 61.127(b)(1) of this part that includes at least—

(iii) One 2-hour cross country flight in a single engine airplane in daytime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure;

(iv) One 2-hour cross country flight in a single engine airplane in nighttime conditions that consists of a total straight-line distance of more than 100 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and

(v) Three hours in a single-engine airplane with an authorized instructor in preparation for the practical test within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test.

I need to meet (iii) and (iv). I think the FAR leaves a bit room for interpretation here. The question is, in order to meet them is it required to have an instructor on board, in other words, could these be solo? Bunch of solo flights are regarded as "training flights". Plus, these two points don't mention "instructor" like the point (v) does.

I am pretty sure I still need those two, really frustrating since I have many solo x-countries over 2h and 100nm, also dual ones with instructor but in a multi engine aircraft. :ugh:

custardpsc
7th Aug 2013, 21:55
The original poster of this had it wrong, he stated night vfr for the cross country, you have it correct below.. Yes, it must be dual. I was rejected from my private checkride in similar circumstances, plenty of long solo night but had to do a dual night 2hr flight and reschedule the ride. I did it under IFR, which was deemed acceptable but commented to be not in the spirit of what was required when I did it for my cpl requirements.

Any hours queries, get them run past the dpe before you get near the ride, nothing worse for all concerned if you are rejected to enter the checkride, especially when its a commercial, you are expected to be right on top of the CFR

tume
8th Aug 2013, 16:45
Thanks for your input custardpsc. Like I was afraid, it has to be dual.
You are correct that it can be IFR too, it used to say VFR in FARs but not anymore.