PDA

View Full Version : wannabe Cathay Cadet Pilot - questions

icecone
28th Jun 2008, 21:30
I'm 17, still studying in secondary school (another year to go). I'm thinking about joining the CX CPP and I have a few questions concerning this.

1. Will going to an university make me better off or worse? - Will I gain my seniority faster or slower?
2. Does the program starts in May-July? I'll leave school in July and have my A-Level in August, do I have to wait for another whole year before I can join it?
3. How long does the program actually last for? I know there's 60 weeks in Aldeiade, is there other training in Hong Kong as well?
4. I read http://www.pprune.org/forums/fragrant-harbour-wannabes/308265-cx-even-worth-applying.html#post3845919
Do I have to be a cadet instructor for 3.5 years before I can be an S/O (which sounds ridiculous)? Do I have to pay back the training fees by any means (like lower salary)?
5. Is KA CPP exactly the same thing? From their websites I see no difference between both (60week in FTA..etc). If so, which one is better?
6. General questions about CX pilots - How long does it usually take to become a F/O? Do I have the chance to fly to different destinations? Am I stuck in a single type of aircraft?
7. May I NOT work for CX after the training? (Coz I heard that it's the worst airline to work for - low salary (even I'm HK-based), high workload)

Many thanks in advanced, there are many questions. I want to make sure I'd like to be a CPP (or CX pilot) before I decide to join it.

VinnieC
29th Jun 2008, 15:02
Welcome.

Some reference threads:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/fragrant-harbour-wannabes/200088-cx-selection-process-jan-06-intereview-questions-merged-2.html

http://www.pprune.org/forums/fragrant-harbour-wannabes/106953-sample-aptitude-test-cx-cadet-cadet-merged.html

http://www.pprune.org/forums/fragrant-harbour-wannabes/153728-cathay-dragonair-information-directory-including-interview-notes.html

Do a search and you will yield more info.

holdmetight
29th Jun 2008, 15:33
1. the only thing a university degree can do for your application is to increase your chances of getting an interview. it has nothing to do with seniority and your promotion within the company.

2. CP programs start in May, August and October (i think). you can always talk to Recruitment about your problems, they are pretty flexible.

3. the official timeframe is 60 weeks in Adelaide, plus 1 week Out of Bound training in HK before you go (for CX cadets). however i hear that courses nowadays are being delayed and graduation postponed. maybe some current cadets can shed some light on that.

4. that is the CX/FTA instructor scholarship thing, totally independent from CX cadet recruitment. you have to pay a certain portion of training fees for that program, however CXCPP is totally free. CX cadets, upon graduation, are based in HK as S/Os on the pax fleet.

5. is KACPP the same thing? i guess the content of the programs are the same! best some current cadets elaborate on this!

6. upgrade to F/O from S/O probably takes about 5-6 years. you fly to whatever destinations your aircraft type flies to. you are posted onto a fleet upon joining as an S/O when you graduate from Adelaide, and you are allowed a chance to change fleet when you upgrade to JFO.

7. no idea. i think there is a contract that stipulates that you must serve CX for at least 6 years. some people who have done the training can help you more on this one.

cx252
30th Jun 2008, 11:55
Why may you not want to work with CX after they pay all of your fees and maintainese to train you as pilot? :cool: Apart from those "reasons" you stated.

icecone
1st Jul 2008, 07:34
Thanks holdmetight for your detail answer!

To cx252: I might have got sick of flying at that time, who knows?

foilhead
1st Jul 2008, 09:25
If you think you might get sick of flying after 60 weeks of flight school, then the Cadet Pilot Program is probably not for you!

cx252
1st Jul 2008, 19:22
I appreciate your honesty, it is true that you may get sick of flying, even for me, I am still questioning myself , (Ok it is sometimes only). Can I screw it ? Do I really love piloting? Do make sure you want it before you press the "send". :ok:

C4rti3r
7th Jul 2008, 16:49
Well, if you do decide to pursue with the application, be sure you can prove to the interviewers (and to yourself) that you're mature enough for them. I'm 18, and they completely hammered me for my age.

Colonel W E Kurtz
8th Jul 2008, 07:20
Icecone,
1. Going to University will definitely be a plus for you - it may sort out your disgraceful English.
2. If the programme starts in the middle of the year you will have to wait until next year when it starts again.
3. Yes, 60 weeks in ADL and then further training in HKG, unlikely to be checked to line as an S/O for 4-6 months upon returning to HKG.
4. There are 2 programmes, an instructor course and a plain cadet course, you should do more research on this yourself.
5. For all intensive purposes the CPP's of KA and CX are the same. Which one is better? That's your decision!
6. It takes about 3 to 3.5 years to become an F/O, that is if you can make it through all of the training and various assessments.
7. You don't have to work for CX after training however, you will be required to pay back the cost of your training if you leave within 6 years of joining. This is over 1 million HKD. As for CX being the worst airline because of high workload - you need to do some more research. 20 days off a month as S/O is standard, but I guess for someone like you who has never worked a day in your life this seems a bit heavy on.

Some advice for you. Clearly you're not 18 yet and this shows. Your maturity is that of an 8 year old and you won't have to worry about whether to accept the position or not because with your attitude, there isn't a hope in hell of you making it through.... :ugh:

Cap'n Arrr
8th Jul 2008, 13:37
Do I have to be a cadet instructor for 3.5 years before I can be an S/O (which sounds ridiculous)?

... How is that ridiculous, to have to work in GA for a few years before getting an airline job? Ask most Cathay Direct Entry guys, nearly all of them will have done their first job in something that isnt a jet, and again nearly all will have done AT LEAST 3.5 years in much smaller aircraft.

Uni will help your application if you have little other "Life Experience"

icecone
8th Jul 2008, 13:43
Thanks for your opinion
Are their any ways to improve my English and attitude, or specifically what's wrong? (I'm always considered childish:suspect:)

C4rti3r
12th Jul 2008, 04:13
Icecone, in regard to your English, it's passable based on what you type. Trust me, I read some quotes from the CX Bulletin from people that made it into the cadet pilot program and one of them said, and I quote "I plan to improve my English."

So, as important as this might be, it isn't the MOST important thing. The most important thing is understanding yourself and being true to your character while at the same time having respect for the people interviewing you and having respect for the company you are applying for.

In regards to attitude, being childish will sadly not help. Having "dreams" will also not help. They want cold, hard proof with little gravy that you are up to their standards, that you want this and you have to be able to prove it to them, despite your age.

In the end, the only remedy to character is living life and growing up a little. There's nothing to lose I assume by finishing University, gaining experience in the corporate world (which is another big big plus for them) and then trying again a few years down the line.