PDA

View Full Version : Norton problem? (Hard Disk constantly operating)

Captain Over
21st Mar 2002, 13:02
Our machine is running Win98 OSR 2.11 (will all the patches), with minimum programs operating, using 64 megs SDRAM (older machine... no excuses!) and its Swap File is optimized. Also, we have 2 HDD’s: 1 X 1.2 GB, 1 X 13 GB (with 3 partitions). It is given a good defrag weekly, too.. .. .The problem is whenever I’m using Norton Utilities Disk Doctor (Systemworks 2002), it fails to check all the HDD’s and in fact says that it is unable to complete the task due to “disk writing” unless I intervene. I have to do the Ctrl-Alt-Delete trick, and have narrowed the problem to the “Nprotect” TSR. Oddly enough, Nprotect SHOULD be compatible with Disk Doctor, as it is one of its brothers! (Nprotect – for the Recycle Bin Protect, part of Systemworks!). .. .I know it must be “Nprotect” causing this grief, as when I “Ctrl-Alt-Delete” then select “Nprotect” and then “End Task,” this “disk writing” error problem vanishes – the Disk Doctor works flawlessly after that. Of course, when the problems are corrected (free space, etc, etc) and I reboot, Nprotect is “re-armed” once again. I only have to disable it when I do the Disk Doctor check.. .. .There has been no help from Symantec on this whatsoever, and I have had zero luck researching this problem anywhere. I suspect that Nprotect also may conflict with other programs, but that’s just a hunch. Any information in the Symantec knowledge base refers to other companies software, not their own. Any conspiracy theologists listening?!! (Tongue-in-cheek, of course…). .. .Experts, any ideas please?

TR4A
22nd Mar 2002, 00:50
Try this Norton page.. . <a href="http://service2.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nunt.nsf/docid/2000111314063609" target="_blank">Speed Disk keeps restarting</a>