PDA

View Full Version : Etihad Training Department

A330glidersantamaria
28th Jun 2008, 12:21
Does anyone know or care what’s happening to the training dept at EY. The A-330 boss has brought in his buddy from the Quebec charter outfit which is better known for its gliding capabilities than carrying passengers. This guy has agreed to work in the office without pay and just 5 duty days to his roster. Ha.ha what’s the catch. Recently he was appointed a LINE CHECK PILOT and 2 months later he is now a TRI. Both these guys went to Beijing on the 1st flight and neither one of them has ever gone east of Europe before they found AUH in the world map. The buddy was seen going on Google to get a self briefing for the flight, this happens in an airline which has over 200 pilots who have operated in and out of China for years being overlooked just to please a few.

I am sorry, I was a critique of the old MH guys but like everything that has happened here from the rostering boss and now the training dept it makes me sick. Hope JH, the VP and VPO flt ops and VP training will see what’s going on and kick all these guys out of the office before we have a GF A-320 type incident here in AUH and several B757 engines blow up in Canada.

SM

noflare
28th Jun 2008, 22:36
The whole training dept is a mess...if PM is as good as people say he is then why is the chaos allowed to continue?
Look at some of the folks in positions of power...embarassing.

A big brush is needed....:rolleyes:

CanadaRocks
29th Jun 2008, 10:16
I thought the 330 Boss was German. What have I missed since I left AUH last night.

blizar
29th Jun 2008, 12:05
... I believe he is talking about the french canadian training boss on the 330...

BTW, this chap used to be nice... what a di..head now !

Jet II
29th Jun 2008, 16:37
The A-330 boss has brought in his buddy from the Quebec charter outfit which is better known for its gliding capabilities than carrying passengers.

given EY's history with gliding 330's this mush sounds like the ideal candidate.:{

camelbreath
30th Jun 2008, 08:12
They are YES men so they will keep their positions!
Crap but True...:rolleyes:

Bredrin
30th Jun 2008, 18:53
Funny how different people view things, this same French Canadian guy revamped the line training requirement, so it now makes sense and did the sim to introduce us to metric/Bejing before we went there instead of the usual crap. Seems to me to be one of the few who is doing a good job. The training department is on the improve. Not sure about the A320 though.

puppet-master
1st Jul 2008, 05:02
I have to agree with B. I feel the two Training Manager are proactive. Training requirement has been increased in all areas. The previous Malaysian Training Bosses felt that minimum requirement in CARS were our bench mark.:{ Line training was to BAH and back . OPC a circus nothing much learned from it.:ugh:Yes I'm happy they are gone. Keep up the good work NS and FL.:D

jet-lag
1st Jul 2008, 05:29
What about 320....I heard that EY320 is like to work in another company... Some new drivers are not so happy.

sandyballs
1st Jul 2008, 07:01
Sorry guys but it is a mess, every fleet seems to have its own standards and procedures. Selection of trainers is different across the fleets, the basic trainer induction course is a joke and I cannot see how the GCAA ever approved it!.PM needs to look very closely at some of the people he has in place, as there is a lot of deadwood that needs clearing if the dept is ever able to progress and standardise.

Bredrin
1st Jul 2008, 07:04
A320 is struggling to catch up, why are the upgrades on a fleet that still had training BUGS to work out and insufficient trainers? Don't know....Funny feeling that the decision was taken from some where ABOVE.

shortfuel
1st Jul 2008, 09:58
A320 division is doing well given the conditions. The lack of trainers has been taken care of by contracting 10 TRI/TRE from EZY.
It seems to me that every new joiner is up to STD when released.
Obviously some drivers are not happy because they expected more time at home and/or MFF earlier.

A320, another company? Let's say that thanks to people profiles and direct management, we achieved a relaxed and very professional atmosphere. People tend to see the "big picture" here.
Roster patterns are not easy with lots of round trip night flights. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be the same everywhere.

jet-lag
1st Jul 2008, 18:24
Dear Short Gas....
My sources are saying something a bit different...

320 Training is a KAOS, No trainers, crazy sillabus for Upgrade,no Planing.

The guys want to do something good but somebody in the dark side... put them some pressure to do UPGRADES and it s seems that the fleet was not ready at all for that kind of training. Now they have guys on Holding for 1 month just to start the UPG. ( NO FLY NO MONEY...)
The UPG takes 12 SIM, and 30 sectors. ( 7 / 16 on A-330....wide Body)
Again, NO planing.
UPG will be again on 330, and the poor guys upgraded on 320....I am sorry Guys....next time. And of course we are not even talking about money:{.

Beechslave
1st Jul 2008, 18:46
There's no minimum guarantee if you're not flying?

jet-lag
1st Jul 2008, 19:05
NO my friend....only Basic Salary. So you start your command very short of cash...and then, your fellows 340 copilots get a bit less or even more than you as a Brand new 320 Cap. May be they can pay you a coca cola...

Eoilers
2nd Jul 2008, 16:15
The last thing we needed was a whining drama queen as a training boss but thats exactly what we got on the A330. How people and their egos change when given some authority.

Bredrin
2nd Jul 2008, 17:54
Dear Fuel Shotage

A320 is not ready to cope with the training requirement, there is no logical reason to over burden the A320 at this time with upgrades when they can not deal with the initial hires. Contracted instructors invariably lead to instruction that is not as close to your SOPs as you would like and definately lacking in Etihad OPS knowledge.

Upgrades on A320....maybe later ... now is a bad idea, the guys were just starting to get the shop in order.

Remember, the A320 fleet was established in a hurry and the guys given the job to run it had no time to cover all the required bases before the planes started to arrive.

funky monkey
3rd Jul 2008, 06:04
completely agree bredrin. It is not the training guys who have caused such a problem. it is lack of direction from above. or put better lack of planning i think.
there are some good people in place though, but it will take time to sort out.
I have seen much worse, in companies alot older and much more established, so | am not worried. yet. they just need to train the trainers who are sat around not training because they havent been checked! go figure. that would sort out there probs alot quicker.
enjoy.:}

cantilever
3rd Jul 2008, 08:53
Wow!! I dread to think where youve been if youve seen a lot worse in more established companies :eek:

The whole dept needs to be restructured and organised, PM certainly has a massive task ahead of him, he needs to start now by ensuring the people in Mgmnt are proactive and not just clueless yes men. There are a few good men in place but we have some who are totally out of their depth and simply drag the dept and the training system down with their total lack of leadership and direction.
Start now, its already too late but as they say better late than never!

PS: Noflare I have a big yard brush if PM wants to borrow it:}