PDA

View Full Version : Why don't my posts appear?

beaver eager
8th Apr 2001, 12:33
After replying to a message, I often (but strangely, not always) find that having read the message - "thanks Beaver Eager, we are automatically returning you to the page etc." - my new posting doesn't appear. Even if I use refresh it's still not there. I never experience this when starting a new topic though.

Any ideas please folks, It's right irritating. And yes... I have deleted all cookies, just in case I've a rougue one causing the problem.

Is there a box that needs ticking in options somewhere to prevent me from storing a previously cached version of the page? If so, where?

Love you all.....

beaver eager
9th Apr 2001, 19:11
The main forum index registers that my posts have been made, i.e. the number of replies increases by one, and the time of last post co-incides with when I pushed the submit button, but when re-directed back to the modified page it looks the same as before I made the posting.

Deleting all my cookies sometimes works, and sometimes doesn't. I don't understand how I can be storing a previously cached version of the page having deleted all cookies though!

I'm getting angry now..

x/wind
9th Apr 2001, 21:57
Beaver Eager

Try holding down the shift key as you click on refresh. It forces the browser to get a new page, not an older cached version off your HDD.

Hope it helps.

------------------
Always look on the bright side of life...

Flybywyre
10th Apr 2001, 00:26
I get the same problem......and it really annoys me!!!!
Regards
FBW

Pdub
10th Apr 2001, 04:02
The other reason can be that your ISP has the old version of the page cached, (ISP's will cache popular pages/websites to save on traffic costs).

To force a refresh from your ISP insert a ? as the last symbol in the URL you want, this works every time :)

Whatever you do don't assume that your post hasn't been accepeted, UBB (the software PPRUNE runs on) gives you a page for about 5 seconds telling you that your post has been accepted, it is extaordinarly rare for the post to "dissapear" if you have seen that page.

The other UBB handy hint is to highlight your whole post , just before pressing submit, then right click and copy it, then if you have typed in your password incorrectly, you don't have to type it in again, so many bulletin boards, so many passwords.

CrashDive
10th Apr 2001, 04:34
Indeed I too have the same problem.

Basically the reason for this is that some ISP's also 'cache' popular pages, in order to keep down their band-width / comms requirements.

Almost as proof, if you find this happening try connecting to another ISP. When so connected then click the 'refresh' button (or shift click - nb. this forces a refresh from a place other than your Hard Disc Drive cache) and you'll almost certainly get the image of page as it actually is at that moment in time on the PPRuNe mega server - this works because it's unlikely that any two ISP's will have cached the exact same page image.

Ps. Just read the post above (hence the edit), and I think we concur - and thanks for the advice about the '?' - I'll give that a try next time this happens to me !

------------------
CrashDive

Administrator to The Professional Pilots RUmour NEtwork

May you live in interesting times !

[This message has been edited by CrashDive (edited 10 April 2001).]

Tricky Woo
10th Apr 2001, 09:35
CrashDive,

This has just started happening to me, too. Does your Apache server needs a wee looking at?

Hope all is well up there on the PPRuNe Mount Olympus.

TW

PPRuNe Dispatcher
10th Apr 2001, 20:54
As we are on Mount Olympus we use the Zeus webserver. Click on the "powered by Zeus" logo at the bottom of each page to go to the Zeus Technologies website.

A bit of trivia : one of the two people who started Zeus Technologies is a distant relative of Peter Twiss, the British test pilot who was the first man to exceed 1000 mph in a Fairey Delta 2.

--PPD

beaver eager
11th Apr 2001, 00:44
I'm glad that you've noticed as well tricky, 'coz it didn't use to happen to me either until quite recently.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm sure that will sort me out. It's a bit of a cheek though, ISPs caching pages on bulletin boards.

Presumably this wouldn't ever happen with a broadband connection as they've got lots of bandwidth available?

------------------
Keep it up!

beaver eager
11th Apr 2001, 00:55
Pdub,

You're a genius,

That trick with the ? works a treat, now I won't have to keep deleting all my cookies twenty times a day (which didn't always work anyway) so I'll always know what threads have actually got new posting on them! It really is a pain losing that particular cookie twenty times a day!

------------------
Keep it up!

Pdub
11th Apr 2001, 18:47
<Bows humbly to sounds of rapturous applause> ;)

ISP caching will probably be with us forever, even with broadband, as the server for PPrune is in the US and your ISP is probably in UK, data costs money to send across the Atlantic, just a bit cheaper than people :) Need to get some more ships out there laying fibre optic.