PDA

View Full Version : Virginmedia not loading

rvusa
27th Jun 2008, 05:30
For the last two days Virginmedia doesn't want to load. All other sites work fine but this site which, whilst giving a two or three second glimpse of the page then goes to a bank page. At the bottom it says 'read virginmedia.com' or 'transferring data from virginmedia.com' and the tab says 'loading' This remains the same for hours, until I change sites.
Using Firefox 7.5 and XP Home via what used to be ntlworld cable.
Anyone any ideas? :confused:

Gertrude the Wombat
27th Jun 2008, 08:06
Works for me.

But the only reason to ever want to go to that site is to check the network status to find out why your connection isn't working ... in which case you can't get to the site ... so if I couldn't access it I would hardly think I was missing anything very much.

Try the usual stuff of forcing reload, clearing cache and deleting cookies.

rvusa
27th Jun 2008, 08:06
Further to my last:-
The line actually reads ' read st.virginmedia.com'
It also seems it could be a Firefox problem as the page loads normally in IE and Netscape. :confused:

rvusa
27th Jun 2008, 08:13
Wombat, Thanks for the reply.
I have to go via that site to get to my webmail and, whichever way I enter it the result stays the same. Of course, I'm no expert so could be missing something which, to you seems very basic?

Don Coyote
27th Jun 2008, 12:49
I was with Virgin for years but as my Broadband speeds increased I noticed more problems with erratic connections. Tried getting help by email (useless) or from their help lines (expensive and useless) and their response was that everything was fine.

Eventually got fed up and changed to O2. Still had problems with erratic connections but after some very useful stuff from their (free) helpline they got BT to do some tests. BT said line was fine but O2 arranged for BT to come to the house and check the lines.

Turns out that the line was faulty and BT changed it. Speeds been superb ever since.

Massive thumbs up for O2 customer service and it is cheaper too!

green granite
27th Jun 2008, 14:17
FF 7.5? I thought the latest was V3 :confused:

Anyway do you use noscript as the latest incarnation reset some of my permissions and some sites wouldn't load until I sorted that out.

rotorcraig
27th Jun 2008, 17:46
I'm on Firefox 2, latest is indeed 3. I can access virginmedia from here.

st.virginmedia.com returns a 1 pixel x 1 pixel GIF ... it's actually redirecting a hit to st.sagemetrics.com where sagemetrics describe themselves as providingSmarter behavioural targetting solutions that drive Ad Revenue

So it basically seems that Virgin Media are trying to target advertising at you, using a facility which actually prevents you from accessing their site?

RC

Saab Dastard
27th Jun 2008, 19:52
I'm on Virgin cable (blueyonder originally), and I have no problem with the the Virgin Media - digital TV, broadband, phone and mobile (http://www.virginmedia.com) page.

I also notice the "st.virginmedia.com" page loading (in the status bar messages), but it doens't seem to be a problem loading (it is the slowest thing to load, though).

You might try adding "127.0.0.1 st.virginmedia.com" to your hosts file, and seeing if you can still access what you need to.

SD

rvusa
28th Jun 2008, 07:06
Thanks for all the replies and yes, due to partial brain failure, I got version of Firefox wrong! It's 3.
Today, without any input from me, the problem has resolved itself, so still non the wiser.
Regards RV :confused: :hmm: