PDA

View Full Version : PPL exam pre-requisites

KrustyThePilot
27th Jun 2008, 03:26
Hi All,

I’m a student pilot going through 150 hours CPLA course.
I don’t plan to go up to CPL (yet). My goal is PPL.

I’ve done my BAK and very close to my GFPT. (GFPT is not done yet)

My question is - Can I sit my PPL theory exam at this point?

The Day VFR Syllabus is not quite clear on this (for me)
It says
”2.8.2.
(a) …
(b) A student pilot must have commenced cross-country training and passed the BAK examination before
he/she may be credited with a pass in CASA PPLA theory examination (where applicable).”

What does that mean?
Does it mean I have to commence my Nav exercises before sitting the exam or I can sit the exam now but it will be taken into account as soon as I start my NavEx?

Thanks,
KTP

jbr76
27th Jun 2008, 03:58
Yes you need to have completed at least 1 navex prior to sitting the PPL(a) cyber exam.

Normally, schools will get you to complete your PPL(a) cyber exam prior to going on your first solo Nav, which is around Nav #4.

Each school's internal training structure differs, so I would talk to your instructor about it.

But in a nutshell, yes you must have started cross country training prior to the exam.

It is very similar to when you are wishing to complete your CPL subjects too. There are certain subjects which you cannot sit exams for unless you have accrued at least 5hours PIC cross country flight time, if you are going from BAK to CPL without completing the PPL(a) cyber exam.

The Day VFR Syllabus is your friend ... read it thoroughly.

KrustyThePilot
27th Jun 2008, 11:34
Thanks for the answer.
I guess I'll have to wait with the exam a bit. :rolleyes:

Cheers,
KTP

YPJT
27th Jun 2008, 11:50
Someone please correct me if I am wrong but if you are enrolled in the integrated 150hr CPL course then there are no half measures, ie dropping out and just obtaining the PPL? Sure you can do the exams but if I read your post correctly, you say you only want to do a PPL. If your school sold you a CPL course knowing that you intended only to do PPL I think you both had better seek sound tax advice.

PyroTek
27th Jun 2008, 12:29
YPJT, that bit got me too... if you aren't doing the full CPL, expect to be hounded by the ATO eventually

KrustyThePilot
27th Jun 2008, 22:50
Hi,

What tax are you talking about? GST? Income tax?
Is CPL training tax deductable now?

I worst case scenario the training may be continued "part-time" for next 100 years. :}

... or, on the second thought, I may continue to CPL for real. :rolleyes:

KTP

PyroTek
28th Jun 2008, 00:44
on the CPL 150Hr course, GST is not charged, whereas it is charged for PPL etc.

So i don't know if you know it, but it seems you are not being charged tax for your training, though you should (if stopping at PPL).

Pyro:ok:

YPJT
28th Jun 2008, 01:06
Krusty,
Is this scenario close to what you encountered?

Go into a flying school to enquire about training and costs. Sharp tongued instructor or whoever says "well, we can do you a deal that if you sign up for our micky mouse 150 hour course, you will save 10% on the training". Am I close to the mark?

Unless you want to go right through from start to finish doing the 150hr course and be qualified for CPL albeit with very limited employment possibilities, they have taken you for a ride and perhaps made you complicit in fraud.

KrustyThePilot
28th Jun 2008, 06:08
Sharp tongued instructor or whoever says "... you will save 10% on the training"

I heard that in every single school I visited. :confused:

Tax wise, I think the same rules apply to TAFE students who've been expelled/quit in the middle of the course. I don't think ATO goes after them.

Thanks for the warning anyway. :}

KTP

YPJT
28th Jun 2008, 07:32
Krusty,
Be assured, the ATO has made a very specific ruling with regard to GST on pilot training. Getting expelled or quitting the course has nothing to do with what I am talking about.

All I will say is that you should be very very careful and know exactly what is written into any contracts for training you may have signed. Those very same contracts may turn up marked "exhibit A" should those tax inspectors who don't go after students that drop out of courses, decide to do otherwise.

Charlie Foxtrot India
28th Jun 2008, 12:07
From a stude who worked in the GST section of the tax office, It is the responsibility of the flying school to charge the GST, provide a tax invoice etc so they would be the one the ATO would go after, not the student.

There is talk of this loophole being closed, by the students being charged GST to be put in an escrow account and refunded only when they have finished the CPL.

This pitch can backfire, I have a few studes who have run a mile from being "persuaded" to enter into what they see as a fraudulent arrangement when they simply want to get a PPL, some who are worried they will be "forced" to do the CPL when they don't want to. And some who realise that the 10% they are "saving" will be added on somewhere else!