PDA

View Full Version : FS2000 Pro problems

Snigs
7th Apr 2001, 21:57
Hi folks, I'm gonna need some help here!

I bought FS2000 Pro a while ago with the intention of using it for IFR procedural practice, and I also bought a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Pro to complement it.

Having worked abroad and more recently studying for the ATPL exams I haven't had the time to get to grips with it, and now, when the need will soon be upon me (I hope), I'm having problems.

In short, the joystick seems to work only intermittently, sometimes it's fine, then for some reason I can waggle it about, and press all the buttons to no avail, then all of a sudden it'll kick back in again, (with some of the last joystick movements throwing the plane around the sky - so much for a stable approach!). Eventually it'll tell me that the program has performed an illegal operation and I need to close it down. As you can imagine, this is very frustrating.

I've got the patch (fs2000_pro_update2b) installed and I believe that I have the latest drivers for the Sidewinder.

My system is an AMD 500MHz with 128Mb SDRAM and an NVIDA TNT 32mb AGP Graphics card, so I think that this should cope the demands of FS2000.

Any pointers or advice would be appreciated, I've nearly thrown the damn joystick out of the window!

Cheers

InFinRetirement
7th Apr 2001, 23:33
Snigs my man!

Almost certainly your joystick setup.

I have found that it can catch you out. You must calibrate that particular device with utmost care. When you think you got it right run the test and watch for any faults.

If NONE go back and do it again. Then and only then set it up in FS2000, with each individual component as you want it.

It's a tricky device this one, and the drivers were very iffy. But calibration IS where it all starts mate.

IFR

Snigs
8th Apr 2001, 21:55
Thanks, IFR (to the rescue again!! :) )

I shall take the utmost care to reassess the situation!

I'll let you know how I get on!

VivaTheBeaver
10th Apr 2001, 16:16
This is a long shot, but I had a similar problem with my Force Feedback Joystick. which was caused by having a MIDI cable plugged into the game port with the joystick piggy backing off that. The Joystick needs to use the MIDI channels for the forces and these connections were not included in the piggy back wiring. Simple fix. Remove the MIDI cable.

Cheers

VTB

BoeingBoy
13th Apr 2001, 01:40
I have two Saitek Cyborg digital sticks, one MIDI, one USB, I fly CFS1, CFS 2 and Flight Sim 2000 with the 767 in command program.

The USB port stick 'freezes',in just the manner you describe especially when the action gets hot. The MIDI is fine throughout.

Dunno if that helps, but I sympathise.

Tom the Tenor
13th Apr 2001, 12:50
Hi Dave, Hopefully, I will get you here. I have had a script virus (K). I got Norton yesterday and all the problems are now quaratined. I got the virus from an old choir friend who is a doctor living in the Cardiff area. We also had the problem where I work around the time you first had a problem with the mail I sent you but both occurances seem to have been unrelated. Sorry for all the trouble it caused you having to reinstall everything from rescue disks. Ruth is in Lytham & St Annes, I am thinking of visiting later. Do you live anywhere near? We could meet up, maybe!