PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard/mouse freeze up

Grandad Flyer
7th Apr 2001, 21:42
This problem is driving me mad!! I've had the problem previously but only for a short time. Usually if I do a "disk defragment" it cures it. But now it regularly happens. I use the computer for about 20 mins, doesn't seem to matter what programme I am in and the mouse freezes and the keyboard is totally frozen out also - the only remedy is to turn the computer off and on again.
Can anyone help? Ppleeeaase....?
My knowledge of computers is very small indeed so any replies that don't lose me in the the first 5 words will be very much appreciated.
My computer has lots of spare capacity even though its fairly old (Celeron 333).
Running Win 98, Office 2000, IE 5.

Ausatco
8th Apr 2001, 05:58
What sort of activity are you doing during these sessions? That is, how many programs running at once and what are they?

I suspect a resource hog. What do the gurus think?

AA

lame
8th Apr 2001, 07:05
Sadly I cannot help, because I have EXACTLY the same problem and cannot fix it, so will follow the replies with great interest...

"lame"

BOAC
8th Apr 2001, 11:51
A couple of previous threads here if you go back, GF.
My problems are in IE5.5 either on or off-line, it appears to produce a mirrored bottom line of the page text as it locks up. Normally caused when scrolling using side bar or keyboard page keys. Reckon there must be some graphics conflict but it is well beyond me! Nothing found on MS Tech help, but haven't had time to try usenets and the like. I now use 'end' key to get to the bottom rather than paging/mouse scrolling and it has reduced the occurrences.

On/off switch getting a lot of use!

[This message has been edited by BOAC (edited 08 April 2001).]

bral
8th Apr 2001, 12:42
A neighbour of mine had a problem with her mouse just randomly failing to work. We re-installed the software for the mouse and the O/S with no improvement and were starting to looking at the options of a new mouse or a new motherboard - it was a newish computer.

Anyways, we swapped PS/2 mice. Both continued to work without any problems. We switched them back a few weeks ago and the old problem returned!

Try another mouse.

------------------
It's not easy having fun; even smiling makes my face hurt.

Grandad Flyer
8th Apr 2001, 14:41
There I was typing my reply and my keyboard froze. Damn! I don't think it can be mouse related because both mouse and keyboard freeze up together. My "end" key doesn't seem to do anything. Sometimes it freezes when on the net, with IE 5 only open, perhaps Outlook Express too sometimes. But its also frozen when using Word.
And also a couple of times when downloading something from the internet, part way through just froze.
A large beer to anyone who can help me!

InFinRetirement
8th Apr 2001, 18:20
Hi GF.

I HAVE seen the problem and the foregoing WAS the answer. Worth a try.

If you are NOT using USB. Check that the keyboard and mouse connections in their respective ports are actually IN their respective ports. It is so simple it can be missed.

The ports are marked Keyboard and Mouse but they can be the same fit and it is dead easy to put them in the wrong port!

The problem you are encountering could be caused by this.

Worth a try!

IFR

spannersatcx
8th Apr 2001, 23:59
Have a look in device manager and see if there are any conflicts shown, it could be that something is trying to use the same IRQ as the keyboard and/or mouse. try using the system for a similar time without the mouse plugged in, use keyboard shortcuts etc, if it happens after a certain amount of time it could be a motherboard problem.
Have you installed any new hardware or software recently?

Flybywyre
9th Apr 2001, 01:10
Granddad Flyer..........

Are you using Mcafee anti virus by any chance?

Regards
FBW

PS And is anyone else who is experiencing the same problem using Mcafee?

lame
9th Apr 2001, 03:39
Yes, I am, why ???????

(Have McAfee Activeshield running all the time, through McAfee Clinic membership).

Flybywyre
10th Apr 2001, 00:08
Disable Mcafee and the problem is no longer present. I was also getting "fatal exception" messages, these have also disapeared since turning off Mcafee, also my computer is running a lot quicker. I'm no computer expert but I think it has to be more than coincidence.
Regards
FBW
PS Let me know how you get on...thanks.

Flybywyre
10th Apr 2001, 00:21
If you disable Mcafee you will find that the problem goes away. I also had a problem with "fatal exception" messages, this has also stopped since disabling Mcafee. I'm no computer expert but it would seem to be more than coincidence.
Regards
FBW
PS Let me know how you get on...thanks.

lame
10th Apr 2001, 00:45
FBW,

Thank you. I am very reluctant to disable McAfee, as it is the only antivirus programme I have, and have always found it excellent. Ran a check from their Clinic site and it says all software is okay?

It sometimes doesn't happen for days, had the computer on line yesterday for over 12 hours with no problems, other days it does freeze up within minutes of turning it on, also sometimes do get the fatal exception. I have had McAfee for years and never had all these problems until fairly recently, what it might be???? is the McAfee is not as compatable with IE5.5, lots of programmes aren't apparently, might try going back to IE5.1 rather than disabling McAfee???

Best regards,

"lame"

Flybywyre
10th Apr 2001, 01:05
Testing (posts not appearing)

Flybywyre
10th Apr 2001, 01:18
Testing (posts not appearing)

spannersatcx
10th Apr 2001, 10:26
It could be the graphics card overheating, check the heatsink and/or fan is working or hasn't fallen off. Also if you can get the latest drivers for it.

lame
10th Apr 2001, 10:48
Thank you, in my case anyway, I do have all the latest drivers, also as I said some days lately I have had the computer on and on line continuously for 12 hours or more with no problems, the days when it plays up it does so within a few minutes of start up, so don't think it could be an overheating problem?

Flybywyre
10th Apr 2001, 13:34
Same here, latest drivers installed. I have come to the conclussion that it is a compatability problem with IE 5.5 as it has only started happening since 5.5 was installed. I've done all the obvious things like re-installing 5.5 and windows, to no avail. The only thing that makes my computer run O.K. is to turn Mcafee off.
Regards
FBW

OLD_EGG_BOUND
10th Apr 2001, 13:53
WHEN YOU "UPGRADED" TO 5.5 DID YOUR ANTI VIRUS PROG STILL TRY TO CHECK EMAILS?

lame
11th Apr 2001, 00:19
Computer performed perfectly yesterday for some 11 hours, this morning after going on line had a fatal exception after only a few minutes.

I do NOT want to get rid of McAfee, so I have gone the other way, removed IE 5.5 and gone back to previous IE 5.1, all seems okay so far?

Grandad Flyer
14th Apr 2001, 13:19
Well. Tried a new mouse. That cured the problem for a few hours then started again. Tried deleting and reinstalling IE 5.0, sounds like 5.5 might be just as bad.
My keyboard and mouse have different leads so can only go into specfic sockets, but I have checked this and tried the mouse with an adapter in another socket. Same probs. Also looked for conflicts but none found. Did a scan disk and quite a few problems came up, again, cured it for a while but its back!
Driving me mad! Works for varying amounts of time.
Could be something overheating, my fan/ computer have been making some odd noises, like surging fan or something.
Any other ideas?

Mac the Knife
15th Apr 2001, 01:02
GF - had something like this tho' not as nuisansical. BOAC Captain's story also sounds faintly familiar. Also problems with McAfee's "Scan on Demand" not working properly. Also annoying non-fatal exceptions.

Cured by uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee. If you don't get a clean ininstall (I seemed to but did a [tedious] manual check anyway) you may have to do a manual uninstall.

Instructions (complicated) for doing a manual uninstall of McAfee emailed to you directly. I had quite a time prying this out of McAfee and it is not for the fainthearted.

Grandad Flyer
19th Apr 2001, 13:22
Unfortunately I don't have McAfee installed and never have done...

BOAC
20th Apr 2001, 00:02
Anyone else with this problem using Zone Alarm (like me - 2.24)? I'm just wondering if that really is the culprit with IE5.5

clownfish
20th Apr 2001, 11:59
I have seen this problem with several computers and each time have identified the cause as being hardware related. Here are some of the things I have done to fix the problem.

1. Computer would run all day but crash under FS2000. Solution, install additional fan in the case to keep graphic card operating at cooler temps. These cards will get hot depending on the demand softwares demand.

2. AGP card was not seated correctly. Card would run fine nearly all day giving no hint of a problem, and then freeze with only the mouse pointer moving on the screen.

3. AGP card had the fan facing a hot PCI card with little space between the PCI card and the AGP card such that the AGP fan was struggling to keep the card cool. Moved the PCI card to another slot and the problem went immediately.

4. The computer would run fine all day and then give up for no reason. Have solved this problem by only running a single memory bank, or moving the bank to another slot. Most time, the problem is when failing memory is under high demand it just gives up. Replacing the memory can solve the problem.

clownfish
20th Apr 2001, 12:11
Oops, just remembered another time when all that was wrong was the BIOS setup was not appropriate for the memory. Computer could go hours without a problem. Problem was solved by taking the BIOS settings back to default.

GoGirl
20th Apr 2001, 17:56
I too have had the same problem, and for 2 known reasons, both different occassions....

First, the Hard Drive was overheating, this was happening regardless of when, where, or how long I was on the computer for....it was exactly how clownfish describes it.
and
Second time was when we installed anifra-red optical mouse...the computer played up with fatal exceptions, froz, unfroze, and generally didwhatever the hell it wanted to the entire time the mouse was installed...You can imagine our embarrasment when, after having taken it to be repaired for the 3rd time with no joy and finding out it was a blasted conflict of the mouse software,and my hard drive http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/eek.gif

Don't know if either of these are your problem, but it just goes to show how many really silly and seemingly inconsequential things can effect the running of your PC.

Good luck with it!!

GG :)