PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy a TV in HK ?

Happydays
26th Jun 2008, 20:52
How come 42" LCD and Plasma TV's are cheaper in South Africa compared to HK ? where can you get the best deals. Fortress is expensive.

Rule3
26th Jun 2008, 23:26
Maybe they fell off the back of a truck.:ok:

ByAirMail
27th Jun 2008, 01:26
Company's lke HIFI Corporation inport grey products.
Low income in Africa force prices down.

Fortress will give you 24 months interest free while getting points on your credit card.

Speedbrake744
27th Jun 2008, 02:25
Dont be fooled by 24 months interest free on you credit card..All this does is reduces your actual credit limit available on your card until the 24 month is over.. ie each month your card credit rises till after 24 months its back to normal again.. This is fine I guess if you dont have the available cash at the time however it does mess with your card buying capeability for a while during the early period depending on how much you initially spent...

580cruiser
27th Jun 2008, 02:31
Try AV Life in IFC always give you a good deal

superfrozo
27th Jun 2008, 04:34
For something as expensive & important as a telly, I'd recommend:

"Johnny's Photo & Video"
Shop No. 65, 1/F, Admiralty Centre
18 Harcourt Rd, Admiralty.

phone: 2877 2227
email: [email protected]
web: http://www.johnnysphoto.com.hk

He won't necessarily be the cheapest, but he knows his sh!t, charges cost plus ~2% for Airline staff, organises delivery and will solve any & all after-sales issues you might have. His specialty is cameras & video gear, but its fair to say he can get his hands on most if not all home-consumer electrical items you can think of.

Word of warning, he's not your "Fortress" style advice kind of guy, so don't go to him for window shopping! Do your research on what make/model you want first and then Johnny or one of his salesmen will get you a quote ASAP.

BTW, this is not a paid advertisement!! I have bought numerous items from Johnny and I can't recommend him enough. :ok:

broadband circuit
27th Jun 2008, 05:06
Try Standard Audio in Ocean Terminal, TST. :ok:

The man to speak to is Kenneth. I was put onto him by an FO I flew with, and I always go directly to him. I know a number of CX pilots who use him.

Same as in the thread above, don't go for window shopping, although I've found him very knowledgeable, and will give honest suggestions/recommendations about the choices available.

Their prices for regulars & referrals (ie potential regulars) are usually excellent, and there is no "negotiating" necessary - they quote a price, and that's your price.

Most importantly, when he quotes the tech specs on a product, I know I'm getting the truth, not a beefed-up sales pitch.

Happydays
27th Jun 2008, 08:45
Thanks guys !

hekokimushi
27th Jun 2008, 10:57
very well to get info from those tourist hotspots as they tend to speak english. going down to MK will probably give u the best price. and these places will give u a price match too. so if u jump into these smaller malls in MK, and go to the big stores on the bigger streets such as Broadway or something in MK, u get the best of all deals.

C172Driver
27th Jun 2008, 12:00
broadband circuit
I agree about Standard Audio & Video Supplies in Ocean Terminal. Ken is the man to talk to. Awesome, and very good with price. I've used him for years, as has my family. Their shop has been there for over 20 years (recently renovated in the last few years).

Highly recommended.

AAIGUY
27th Jun 2008, 15:25
Sham Shi Po.

FukWa st.

42' plasma..about 7K HKD.

Back of truck? Maybe, but I've bought 2 there in recent years.

Rule3
27th Jun 2008, 16:37
I was referring to the SA TVs:ugh:

SevenEleven
27th Jun 2008, 18:19
it's not appropriate to say some places LCD is cheaper than the other :bored:

in hk,
we got some 42" of 1366x768 WXGA resolution, MIC, HKD$6XXX
and Sony 42 of 1920x1080 Full HD X300 series, MIJ, HKD$22XXX:eek:

model, quality, resolution, function, features and after sale services are all different, and

not all Fortress or Broadway are of the same price, different shops got different policy on cash rebate, cash coupon, bundle accessories, these are all money.

try more shops b4 you pay.

captncannot
28th Jun 2008, 07:33
SevenEleven:
it's not appropriate to say some places LCD is cheaper than the other :bored:

in hk,
we got some 42" of 1366x768 WXGA resolution, MIC, HKD$6XXX
and Sony 42 of 1920x1080 Full HD X300 series, MIJ, HKD$22XXX:eek:

why is it "not appropriate"???

Hong Kong is an absolute ripoff for Japanese televisions.

The latest Sony 52" LCD, top end premium range is the Bravia XBR Series.
Fortress in Hong Kong are selling a recently obsoleted 52" Sony Bravia for $HKD52,000.

You can buy the brand new Bravia XBR Series in the US for $HKD25,700.

So where would you shop?

SevenEleven
28th Jun 2008, 17:54
yeah, you are right

Also, HK model is sort of trim-down model,

for instance the model you mentioned is using the same x300 panel but come with much better specification, and now, SonyUSA just put up a big discount.

I made a quotation from a Mongkok shop, they don't have 52" model, they got a 46": HKD$28000 with $4000 supermarket coupon

Amazon is selling 46" XBR4 @ USD2659 around $20700

there is almost HKD$4000 different

few more things to consider:
1, how much to ship a 46" or 52" TV back to HK (not a problem to pilot?)
2, TV system is different, US model is using NTSC and HK is muilt (no problem to watch NOW or Cable)
3, no warranty
4, HK model can receive local analogue signal (though they are crXXX)
5, piano finish (only US model, USD300 extra)

However, if really like to get a parallel import TV, why not go for a Japanese model? now they come with simple English manual

like the latest Sony 46F1
http://www.ecat.sony.co.jp/products/picture/large/KDL-46F1.jpg
using the same panel as the above models but only 7.4cm thick, 270,000 yen, ie HKD20000

personally, i still prefer to get electronics with warranty, just my 2 cents

demon_duck
28th Jun 2008, 22:50
Try Ecox in Prince Edward, good website.

eCOX Electronic Depot 電器資訊網 - www.eCOX.com.hk (http://www.ecox.com.hk/)

Buy three items get a better discount.:)

DD

stillalbatross
30th Jun 2008, 02:31
There is also a big difference in quality. All 42" TV's aren't created equal. it's like saying i can buy a car with 4 seats in SA for 10000 Rand and i come to hong kong and there's a 4 seat rolls royce for 1000000 HKD. Go figure. i'd say about 80% of TV's in any size are cheap junk but the suckers want as big as possible without any thought to component compatability or clarity, design, assembly etc.

Chances are what's in SA that you're comparing it to is junk and what's in fortress is good or above average.

Will the power be on long enough in SA for you to watch it?

hongkongfooey
30th Jun 2008, 02:40
Fortress in TC, reasonable prices, reasonable service, free delivery, interest free makes naff all difference to platinum credit card ( which most pilots have ).
Go where you get looked after and get prices you are happy with, or spend half your days off trying to save a few bucks and possibly ending up with a cheap copy.
my 2 cents.

Dan Winterland
30th Jun 2008, 03:26
Fortress will haggle. I got a big discount on my plasma from the TC Fortress. With Fortress, you can be sure you're not being fobbed off with an out of date or returned item, and you get a decent warranty.

kluge
30th Jun 2008, 05:26
I got much better service from APIVA in Taikoo Shing than Fortress in Times Square.
For exactly the same Sharp 42" inch flat screen and Sony surround sound system it was around $5K cheaper at APIVA. You can haggle there also.

Good luck.

Major-Domo
1st Jul 2008, 02:50
Try "Pete The Sneak" , he operates out of a stairwell in Chung King Mansions. I bought a Copy Sony from him 10 years ago and the test pattern is as clear as the day I bought it. Pitty about the Rolex though :\.