PDA

View Full Version : If you could fly ANY plane ever built, what would it be?

thatscaptaintou
26th Jun 2008, 18:51
Just a bit of fun here.

If you could be at the controls and fly any aeroplane very built, what would you fly?

Personally, I have 2. I wish I could fly Concorde and the Lancaster - dream plane for me, as grandparents were in bomber command.

What would yours be?

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
26th Jun 2008, 19:19
Mine's easy and I didn't need to think about it; Vulcan. Any Mark, no preferrence.

For as long as I can remember it's been a family member!

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o182/GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU_photos/VX770.jpg

Agaricus bisporus
26th Jun 2008, 19:25
Ah, but how long do I get?

For a jolly, a Camel - OK, Avro 504/Bristol Scout/give me the run of Old Warden would do if you are offering.

For an hour, a Vimy/Lancaster.

For a week, a Spitfire/Mustang

For a career, a Hunter.

For ownership, a Yak 2 (?) The WWII Allison engined fighter.

For fun, a Bucker Jungmeister.

Please note all these are existing and realistic currently flying machines.

Any offers gratefully accepted....

Dr Jekyll
26th Jun 2008, 19:41
Harrier for me, or possibly a Lightning.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
26th Jun 2008, 20:47
One off - Lightning, Harrier, and Concorde, just to experience it.

Longer term - Spitfire, a later one, Mk9 or above.

If just one flight allowed - the Spitfire!

SSD

tartare
26th Jun 2008, 21:15
SR71.
FL80 Mach 3.0

603DX
26th Jun 2008, 21:20
The Canberra - wait a minute, I already have flown in one, and had the controls for a while!

A Mosquito - virtually a twin-Merlin Spitfire. Never had the pleasure of flying in one, but sat in the cockpits of half a dozen various Marks which ended up at RAF Halton in 1957.

S'land
26th Jun 2008, 22:00
For me it would have to be either the Short C Class or Short Sunderland. Mind you I do also have a longing to fly a Lysander or a DH Dragon Rapide.

con-pilot
26th Jun 2008, 22:17
As someone already posted, first choice by far, the SR-71.

If you would classify the Space Shuttle an aircraft, the Space Shuttle.

And lastly, as far as modern aircraft, the F-4.

Older aircraft, the B-17 because my father flew them in WWII.

I've flown the DC-3, I have about 200 hours in them, DC-6, the Stearman, T-6 Texan

So, that leaves the Ford Tri-Motor, Mosquito, Spitfire and the Boeing 314 Clipper.

Oh, and of course the P-51 and the P-38.

kluge
27th Jun 2008, 01:10
EE Lightning

Griffon Spitfire

I-16

reynoldsno1
27th Jun 2008, 01:23
Beaufighter - though I'm not sure why the Japs called it the "whispering" death - not with those two donks....:eek:

411A
27th Jun 2008, 01:28
Lockheed Electra (L188) and L1011.
Yes, flown both...very nice and comfortable airplanes.
707 wasn't bad either...yep flew these as well, for quite a long time.

pigboat
27th Jun 2008, 01:57
Lockheed 1649 Starliner and the Douglas DC-7 for the heavy iron, and the Spartan Executive and the Beech 17 for fun.

HighTow
27th Jun 2008, 01:58
GAL Hotspur :)

henry crun
27th Jun 2008, 02:52
The DH Hornet.

Double Zero
27th Jun 2008, 03:19
Well for me it would have to be a Sea Harrier FRS1, though as I'm not qualified to fly a Cessna ( but have done ) I'd suggest everyone keep well clear !

I had the honour of working with a Halifax pilot, who reckoned it much better on the controls than a Lancaster, but obviously not so efficient re. payload.

The Spitfire Mk 9 has to be everyone's choice - and Chuck Yeager can stuff his comments where the sun doesn't shine ( though he seems to think it does ).

treadigraph
27th Jun 2008, 05:28
Griffon Spit (low back 14 or 18 and unclipped for aesthetic reasons), then Bearcat... followed by a Sea Fury... is there a theme here?

18-Wheeler
27th Jun 2008, 05:29
Predictably ....
(in no particular order)
SR-71
X-15
Shuttle
Harrier
EE Lightning

TheChitterneFlyer
27th Jun 2008, 10:47
I'm with 411A; the TriStar does it for me; flown both military and civil variants, though the British Airways destinations were much more fun than Mount Pleasant!

TCF

Lucky Six
27th Jun 2008, 11:17
The Avro Lancaster. We need a flying one downunder. :ok:

India Four Two
27th Jun 2008, 14:03
Spitfire. Any Mark, lower numbers with Merlins for preference.

dogcharlietree
27th Jun 2008, 14:12
F-4 Phantom and Harrier.
I once, many, many years ago, when the Harriers first came into service, saw on TV, one take-off into a hover, then when what appeared to be about 20' off the ground, rotate from the horizontal position, into the vertical and then accelerate STRAIGHT UP - AWESOME :D :D :D

Double Zero
27th Jun 2008, 14:53
I think you described the Harrier airshow take-off which Chief Test Pilot John Farley came up with for demonstration / show purposes, not tactical as he freely admits.

He would hover the Harrier, then use the reaction controls & move the nozzles ( all by seat of the pants, no suitable instruments ) to hover at around 40 degrees or more then apply full power & 'rocket climb' away.

My father was crew-chief when J.F. did this in a display at Farnborough in an Indian FRS51 Sea Harrier - the aircraft, half way up, was seen to stagger & level out early...

John landed uneventfully, and remarked " I always wondered what would happen if the water pump gave up at that point !"

ghostrider1
27th Jun 2008, 14:54
In the Forties - F4U Corsair or ME 262

In the Fifties - F 86 Sabre, Twin Mustang

In the Sixties - F101 Voodoo, Sea Vixen, Saturn V

In the Seventies - F4, Buff, Early Model 747, A7 Corsair.

In the Eighties - F14 off the deck of a CVN, Tornado, DC-10

In the Nineties - Mirage 2000, Su - 27

In the 2000's - SU - 37, Spaceship One and lets see how the Aurora flies, shall we ?

How nice it is to dream on a Friday afternoon !!

VictorGolf
27th Jun 2008, 16:18
With my limited experience a SIAI-Marchetti SF 260 would do just fine and I bet I couldn't even keep up with that.

603DX
27th Jun 2008, 17:19
For me, the Stratocruiser epitomised the imagined sophistication of airline travel in 1951, when I first saw BOAC's silver beauties at Heathrow on a school visit. Double-decked, with a spiral staircase leading to a passenger lounge, and an impressively bulbous fuselage with high panoramic flight deck. Alas, by the time I was old enough to fly they were all gone.

Years later, flying BA Club World on business to Bahrain, I got a strong sense of 'deja-vu' boarding up the spiral staircase to the upper deck of the 747. Even better, this being well before 9/11, I asked for and got a flight deck visit. While chatting to the flight crew, the F/O pointed out the scheduled BA aircraft en route back to Heathrow, a couple of thousand feet below over Saudi. My childhood imaginations of what it must have been like on the Stratocruiser's "bridge" were strongly evoked.

ZH875
27th Jun 2008, 17:34
Buccaneer at low level.

Fiesler Storch - Just for the take off performance.

gsora
27th Jun 2008, 20:36
A380, my wife likes big ones.:ok:

SOTV
27th Jun 2008, 20:42
Bell Airocobra
Walrus
Botha.

Just to find out why other pilots were rude about them.

:}

taxydual
27th Jun 2008, 20:42
Anything that has the same number of landings, as it does of take-offs.

I haven't flown for years, and Boy do I miss it.

barit1
27th Jun 2008, 21:38
My father instructed in Harvards (AT-6's, actually) but I've never had the chance. It was his favorite plane.

And I had the controls of a Spartan for a few minutes, Pigboat, absolutely delightful - you could roll with two fingertips. The Howard by contrast handles like a DC-3, very stable but gives you a workout.

I'd really love to fly a P-47 or F4U or F8F though. Spoiled on the R-2800, or any E. Hartford radial for that matter.

pigboat
27th Jun 2008, 23:21
I envy you barit my friend. The one-off 8W with the R1340 must have been something else. :ooh:

Double Zero
27th Jun 2008, 23:40
How about Thunderbird 1 ?!

A mix of Harrier and Lightning, with advantages over both - just for fun...

tinpis
28th Jun 2008, 00:15
I would fit in the cockpit

http://user.tninet.se/~ude579d/Manime/porco.logo.jpg

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
28th Jun 2008, 02:04
The Hindenberg across the Atlantic, with a limitless supply of gin and tonic in the observation deck. Then I'd strap on my rig and jump it before it docked :ok: I could enter it in two log books.

Also after having read the thread, the Sunderland, in the Far East.

Also I want to fly a PZL Wilga :8

If in WW2, it's have to be the PR Mosquito. That way I wopuldn't have to shoot at people who I had more in common with than differences and if it wasn't for the war, would probably get on with them really well :(

oh, and the G&T would be Tanquerey :ok:

ehwatezedoing
28th Jun 2008, 03:03
SR-71 for speed and height,
SU-35 for the trill of a backward loop inside a loop,

And a Spitfire, which doesn't need any explanation :ok:

VfrpilotPB/2
28th Jun 2008, 08:42
My dream flight would be the FW190D followed by the Griffon Spitfire, Typhoon, Beaufighter, Buccaneer, EE Lightning, F4 Phantom, all flown low !!:D

According to my old man who flew them in N Africa, the Beaufighter was nicknamed "Whispering Death" because it arrived so fast you only heard the wind noise over the air frame until it opend up on its target, then you got the full Majesty of those two giant Bristol Hercs as it left you which were basically brutes of power units!:ooh:

Peter R-B

twochai
28th Jun 2008, 09:46
DH Hornet, the prettiest, most aggressive looking aircraft in history, with superb handling characteristics, I am told.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk89/twochai/DHHornet.jpg

Effluent Man
28th Jun 2008, 10:16
Prop - Hawker Typhoon

Jet - ME 262

Fantome
28th Jun 2008, 19:55
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/jokova_photos/IMGP2039.jpghttp://http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa144/jokova_photos/IMGP2039.jpg

twochai
28th Jun 2008, 20:26
Fantome:

When I was building hours for my commercial licence in a 65HP J-3 Cub 50 years ago ($10/hour from the local Flying Club), used to fly around reading a book with the stick between my knees, or land on a back country road and stop for a smoke!

Squeegee Longtail
28th Jun 2008, 20:29
A Spitfire or P51, in uncrowded, uncontrolled airspace, summers day, 3/8 Cu to play with, full tank of fuel, uncontrolled grass airfield, English country pub down the road, few pints then off early to bed (with the barmaid).
What could be better?

treadigraph
28th Jun 2008, 22:17
Squeegee, what could be better? Off to bed with the landlady, then the beer would be on the house... :}

One of the most delightful flying experiences I've had was in 15 mins in one of Jack Brown's J-3 Cub floatplanes. The only flight I've ever had that never went above a couple of hundred feet. We was hunting 'gators!

aseanaero
29th Jun 2008, 15:30
X-15 ... but a tandem seat version please with a safety pilot

Double Zero
29th Jun 2008, 22:06
Surely the

Tempest / Sea Fury /FW 190 ?!

Then as a jet the Harrier FRS 1...

reynoldsno1
30th Jun 2008, 21:32
VfrpilotPB/2- check your PMs

Roland Pulfrew
30th Jun 2008, 21:46
For me it would have to be:

Prop - Mosquito/Hornet or Beaufighter
Jet - TSR2

TiffyFGR4
9th Aug 2008, 00:21
Since I'm not a military nor a civilian pilot & that I have no experience with aviation of any kind, stuff like that......(Apart from making the odd airfix kit every now & then tehehe). I'm just another person with a keen interest in military aviation.

Now, what I'd like to fly if I were a pilot? So many to choose from.

Spitfire. (Who wouldn't?)
Lancastor.
Hurricane.
Harrier.
Tornado F3 or GR4
EE Lightning
Typhoon...

So many more I'd love to fly.....But out of that little list, I'd probably go for the EE Lightning, first time everytime.

I've always had a huge fondness for the Tornado though, when I was just a kid, my uncle & me went for a day out in the lake district, parked at the side of the road having a drink & a sandwhich minding our own business, then WuuuuOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHHHHH!!! This aircraft flew right over the top of us, must've been at something like, 40, 50 feet? Well whatever it was, it was bloody low & veeery fekin loud!!! Just after it past over us, 2 or 300 feet in front of us, it just lit up its afterburners & it was long gone! Amazing! I asked my uncle what it was? He said; That was a Tornado.....A Tornado GR1 to be precise. So for that reason...I've always had a place in my heart for the Tornado, especialy the GR4 we have now, amazing looking thing. =D

Genghis the Engineer
9th Aug 2008, 02:11
Well, in a perfect world, which it'll never be, a Lunar Lander.

In this imperfect world, I've actually been pretty lucky and have no major omissions.

Somewhere in between, there a few I'd rather like to have a go at, most obvious being...

Clipped wing Spitfire - to see how good a piston engined fighter can be

Tornado - to prove they actually can become serviceable, and because I'm fascinating by the aircraft's twin-crew concept

Mignet HM14 Pou de Ciel - just because it fascinates me

SR71 - to see how such a narrowly ultra-high performance aircraft is operated.

Actually, my own aeroplane on a regular basis, without the irritating need to keep earning a living constantly getting in the way - that'd be great!

G

SASless
9th Aug 2008, 02:27
http://www.pimaair.org/images/collection/Grumman_F-7F-3_Tigercat_MG_8000_a.jpg

This would do me just fine.

Pugilistic Animus
9th Aug 2008, 02:52
F-18 or SR71

RJ Kanary
9th Aug 2008, 04:22
For sheer beautiful lines.................... a Constellation.Saw many from afar as a kid.

For sheer "Looks like it's going Mach 2 in the hangar"..........The B-58 Hustler. Never heard one or saw one in flight.........But I'd love to. Especially from the inside. :)

larssnowpharter
9th Aug 2008, 06:29
Over the years I have been lucky enough to collect a fair number of types the most memorable of which was the Bearcat; perhaps the most awesome single piston ever built.

A few have already mentioned the Hornet; that would have to be my choice. Here's a pic of me aged 3 getting checked out on one:

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t295/larssnowpharter/nice2.jpg

innuendo
9th Aug 2008, 06:33
Spitfire, and I would trade my CF-101B time for it.

BEagle
9th Aug 2008, 06:51
I've been a bit spoilt, having flown Gnat, Hunter, Buccaneer, F4, Vulcan and VC10.

So I'd go for DH Hornet and SR-71.........

....or Aurora!

hoggsnortrupert
9th Aug 2008, 08:15
For me, the Mosquito, better looking than????, and wings that are on a par with the likes of Angie Dickinson, & Emma Peel's LEEEEEEEEEG's, with the asthetic good looks of Angie & Emma, and the absolute PURR, of a pair of Merlins on song, mind you in the dark recesses of my mind, I wonder how Angie, or Emma sounded when they too Purr'd.:p:p:p:p

Now I will go back to my pint, I am beginning to shake & sweat.

Maybe a cold shower!!! is in order.:}:}

Guest 112233
9th Aug 2008, 09:05
The good ,the bad and the just like me , Tiger Moth (again ) any time - Full tank longest day, CAVOK, Fokker Eindecker (a true sod of a thing by all accounts) and finally a Spad ( which side was it on - thinking of its handling.)That DH Hornet looked great ( only room for three) - Shame ) I would use it to straffe - several people I can think of. And the Sagitario , TU22 (impossble I'm told). In my limited imagination - its always CAVOK , time (travel ) no problem - No aerospace restrictions - Per chance to dream............

nacluv
9th Aug 2008, 11:44
I would go for:

1. Buff - can't imagine what a pig this must be to handle, but I'd love to give it a go...!
2. Spitfire MkV and Mk24 for comparison purposes - sublime to ridiculous?
3. EE Lightning - 50,000 ft/min? Can't imagine what that must be like! Hope I can scrape enough ££ together before old Beachy Head packs up and goes home.
4. Folland Gnat. Simply beautiful, elegant aeroplane. Wish the Reds still had them...
5. SR-71 - just for the numbers.
6. Any other British military jet, small or large, from 50's to 70's.

Edit: 7. A more recent daydream of mine - lake hopping in a DHC-2 (if my eardrums could stand it), comme ca...
http://www.duenorthoutposts.com/files/flying/DHC-2_Beaver.jpg

windriver
9th Aug 2008, 13:20
Unlike Beagle I am prepared neither to confirm nor deny the Aurora is on my list.

Most of the other likely candidates have been mentioned, but I`ve had a great time flying dull aircraft and a not so great time flying less dull aircraft... It's often as much about people, places and the job you're doing as the aircraft itself....

Having said that I live quite close to the Newark Air Museum and pop in from time to time. Each visit I always make sure I have an extra pound coin put aside to pay to climb aboard the Hastings.

There's something about the aircraft that presses all the right buttons for me....

Maybe those of you that actually flew them may have something else to say on the matter... but it's right at the top of my list.

http://www.aviationancestry.com/hastings.jpg

brakedwell
9th Aug 2008, 14:14
Not one of the most memorable types I had the privilege to fly, but at least it was very rewarding when you got it right!.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/sedgwickjames/HastingsAden1958.jpg

windriver
9th Aug 2008, 14:25
Thanks for pic brakedwell... you've brightened up an otherwise wet and soggy afternoon... and displaying the glorious Transport Command Flash as well. :ok:

And as an added bonus it's parked right next to number 2 on my list...

brakedwell
9th Aug 2008, 14:32
Photo was taken in 1958 at RAF Khormaksar, Aden

goudie
9th Aug 2008, 14:53
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/d/d4/PBY_Catalina_landing.jpg/300px-PBY_Catalina_landing.jpg (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:PBY_Catalina_landing.jpg)Only ever flown gliders but have always loved the Catalina. On this dismal afternoon would love to be island hopping in one around the Pacific.
Brakedwell The first time I flew in a Hastings I was convinced, on take-off, that all the big-ends had gone!

cliffnemo
9th Aug 2008, 16:13
A Lancaster ? No. After an hour , you would be dozing, and would switch on "George" ., then have a sleep.

But a Gloucester Gladiator, fully aerobatic (by forties standard), amongst the clouds, wow. Plus a bit of low flying, and hedge hopping, perfect.

brakedwell
9th Aug 2008, 16:20
Brakedwell The first time I flew in a Hastings I was convinced, on take-off, that all the big-ends had gone!

The Bristol Hercules radial engines had sleeve valves which I think were the cause of clattering noise.

Sleeve valve - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeve_valve)

windriver
9th Aug 2008, 17:11
The Bristol Hercules radial engines had sleeve valves which I think were the cause of clattering noise.

Don't want to thread drift... but these are part of the attraction...

http://aviationancestry.com/Engines/Bristol/Bristol-HerculesStirling-1941-1.jpg

Pugilistic Animus
9th Aug 2008, 19:42
I didn't tell the whole truth---actually---I'd like to fly ALL OF THEM:}

PA

evansb
10th Aug 2008, 02:06
I love tail-draggers.
I love radial engines.
I love open cockpits.
I love single-engine aeroplanes.
I love flying family and friends around.
I love aeroplanes from the 'Golden Era'.
The obvious choice:
The Boeing 40C
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/boeing_40_river_small.jpghttp://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/boeing_40_classic_small.jpg

barit1
10th Aug 2008, 02:25
The 40C must be one of a very, very few a/c presently flying with the R-1690 Hornet. It was the largest single-row engine my P&W brethren built.

evansb
10th Aug 2008, 03:28
Yup!:ok: Please reserve the pilot's seat for me!. Thank you.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r68/convair640/pratt_whitney.jpg

Old Hairy
10th Aug 2008, 10:37
Sunderland Mk V......But then I Would, Would'nt I

Evansb. heartily endorse,very dependable donks

Chugalug2
10th Aug 2008, 11:44
Not one of the most memorable types I had the privilege to fly, but at least it was very rewarding when you got it right!.

For shame, Brakedwell, to have had the privilege to fly the Hastie and then to be so dismissive of it. For shame Sir! Though I do agree with your latter point. Over the threshold, hanging onto the props and then calling "Cut" for a Tactical Landing. If she came down on all three points and stayed there, the triumph, the sense of achievement, only to be shattered by the Flt Eng claiming the credit as it was his closing of the throttles that had made all the difference! No such claim of course if instead of settling she went bouncing up into the air again!

brakedwell
10th Aug 2008, 12:34
They always took the credit never the blame !

Old Hairy
10th Aug 2008, 14:21
I often wonder who took the blame for mistaking Fontwell Racecourse for Tangmere and carrying out a perfect roller conveyer drop,rumour has it ,it was a raceday:E

barit1
10th Aug 2008, 14:58
evansb - you realize of course that you have displayed Pratt's THIRD logo. The second was that goofy one from the 70s, and the first was almost the same as your posting -

EXCEPT that the wording on the upper arc read "PRATT & WHITNEY AIRCRAFT".

BTW although the official logo has the birdie facing right as you show, I have also seen decals with him flying the other direction for placement on the port side of the cowl. :cool:

brakedwell
10th Aug 2008, 15:55
[QUOTE] Old Hairy. I often wonder who took the blame for mistaking Fontwell Racecourse for Tangmere and carrying out a perfect roller conveyer drop,rumour has it ,it was a raceday[/QUOTE

Ah Tangmere! I managed to deposit a Boscombe Platform in a field on the edge of Oving. Due to an extractor chute malfunction the main parachutes deployed inside the cabin before wrapping themselves around the (Argosy) tailplane. The remaining 14000 lb platform came to a sudden stop on the rear door sill and the nose pitched up. After we crossed the western end of Rwy 27 sinking rapidly with the stick shaker going and both pilot struggling to get the nose down the Boscombe Platform fell out of the back!

rightbank
10th Aug 2008, 20:15
SR71.
FL80 Mach 3.0

Now Mach 3 at 8000 feet really would be something. Presume you meant FL800.

Had a similar conversation with an F/O a few years ago, of our perfect pair of aircraft. As far as I can recall mine were Spitfire/Lightning(EE version) and his were extra 300/F15. There were many other close contenders, including, but not limited to, Mustang, Hunter, Lancaster, Jungmann, Me262 etc

Stationair8
11th Aug 2008, 03:34
Beech 17, Beech 18 or Beech Twin Bonanza
Cessna 152
Cessna C310R
Chipmunk
DC-3
Gates Learjet
Mustang

Tango and Cash
12th Aug 2008, 21:09
P-51 Mustang, hands down.

jabberwok
14th Aug 2008, 11:49
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Wright Flyer.

Despite our accumulated wealth of hours (which may or may not be of any use) could any of us have flown that thing? Would you have liked to replace Orville on that first flight? I know I would.

brakedwell
14th Aug 2008, 12:00
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Wright Flyer.

Despite our accumulated wealth of hours (which may or may not be of any use) could any of us have flown that thing? Would you have liked to replace Orville on that first flight? I know I would.

I imagine it would be like flying a Twin Pioneer with one engine out.

Fareastdriver
14th Aug 2008, 12:33
Junkers JU 87 Stuka.

When you are in a vertical dive with the sirens screaming EVERYBODY, but EVERYBODY, knows that you are coming.

Apparently it was fully aerobatic as well.

Codger
14th Aug 2008, 14:37
P47D
We sing from the same songbook.

DozyWannabe
14th Aug 2008, 22:53
Boeing 727-217B G-NROA. Reina Sofia, Tenerife to London Gatwick.

Doesn't sound like much, but it was the first flight that made me love aircraft when I was 6 years old. I did fly earlier on a BCAL 1-11, but I was barely 3 years old at the time so don't remember much.

CoodaShooda
14th Aug 2008, 23:54
Sopwith Pup - to see if it lives up to its reputation as one of the most perfect aircraft to fly.

John Farley
16th Aug 2008, 22:02
http://i522.photobucket.com/albums/w341/adelefarley/DuxandOWSept2007033small.jpg

brakedwell
17th Aug 2008, 06:24
What a beaut John, does it fly?

John Farley
17th Aug 2008, 10:38
My third hand understanding is that it is a replica and awaiting paperwork approval. But I emphasis that is not confirmed. It is certainly in a Duxford pen that has other fliers.

brakedwell
17th Aug 2008, 12:55
I know of one FW190 replica that flew at Manching.

YouTube - Fw-190A-8/N Test Flight (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VGSxosU9N5c&feature=related)

John Eacott
18th Aug 2008, 00:29
John,

Full details here: (http://www.arc-duxford.co.uk/fw190.htm) The Aeroplane Restoration Company.

New Build Focke-Wulf FW190

A new build FW 190 is the latest ‘Warbird‘ to become part of Spitfire Ltd’s collection residing with the Aircraft Restoration Company at Duxford, and is already an extremely popular addition on static display in the IWM hangar. Flight development trials have been undertaken on a similar example at Flug Werk in Germany, and on behalf of the owner, ARCo have been investigating the feasibility of putting the aircraft on the British Register with the CAA. After many months of discussions with the CAA, they have finally accepted the outline project concept and have given permission to proceed with an application. This is a major step forward and will now see the aircraft undergo inspection and assessment by ARCo engineers and design team with a view to submitting the findings to the CAA in 2008. Maybe then enthusiasts will finally see a flying example of this incredible aircraft in the UK.

History

Designed as a new fighter to fight alongside the Messerschmitt Bf 109, the Focke-Wulf FW 190 Wurger (“shrike”) was a single-seat, single-engine fighter aircraft of Germany’s Luftwaffe, and one of the best fighters of its generation. These aircraft were used extensively during the Second World War, over 20,000 being manufactured, including around 6,000 fighter bomber models. Production ran from 1941 to the end of hostilities, during which time the aircraft was continually updated.

For the first few months of the FW 190’s combat career, the Allies, were entirely unaware of the new fighter. As allied fighter losses rose, it became obvious that this new German aircraft outperformed the Spitfire Mk V then in service. Fortunately in June 1942 a German pilot landed on a British airfield by mistake, which allowed the RAF to study the aircraft for any novel design elements. Finding that in terms of firepower, rate of roll and straight line speed at low altitude, the FW 190 was considerably better than the then top-of-the-line Spitfire Mk V, the hasty development of the upgraded / up-engined Spitfire Mk IX model began.

The FW190 was well liked by its pilots, and compared to the Bf 109, the FW 190 was a “workhorse” proving itself suitable for a variety of roles, including ground attack, long-range bomber escort, night-fighter and high-altitude interceptor. At least 28 FW 190s exist in museums, collections and in storage worldwide with 15 displayed in the United States.

Starting in 1997, a small German company, Flug Werk GmbH, began work on a new FW 190A-8. These are new builds from the ground up, using many original dies, plans and other information from the war. Werk numbers continued from where the German war machine left off with the new Fw190A-8 labelled FW 190A-8/N (N for Nachbau which translated to English means “reproduction, replica or clone”). Some of these new FW 190s are known to be fitted with the original tail and wheel units from the Second World War.

http://www.arc-duxford.co.uk/images/fw190a.jpg

http://www.arc-duxford.co.uk/images/fw190b.jpg

Stearperson
20th Aug 2008, 05:56
An Me163 would certainly be an interesting ride.
I would also love to fly a 3350 powered Sea Fury.

John Farley
21st Aug 2008, 15:01
John E

Many thanks

JF