PDA

View Full Version : Gulf Air

greendotspeed
26th Jun 2008, 16:50
May someone please write a good and in depth thread about Gulf Air interview. As much information will be appreciated, thank you :ok:.

Che Guevara
26th Jun 2008, 18:05
Are you type rated?

eddy407
27th Jun 2008, 01:13
did u get an interview or not yet?
thanks
i filled the online application a week ago and i was wondering how long is the wait to hear from them?
any info please???
thanks

greendotspeed
27th Jun 2008, 04:26
Che, yes I have a type rating on my FAA ATP but no time on type.
Che, do they have different interviews for type rated and non type rated pilots?

Eddy, no I do not have an interview, but I want to study in the event they start.

Che Guevara
27th Jun 2008, 05:05
GD
Yes, the interviews for type rated pilots is different from the point of view of a technical test as well as a simulator check on the specific type, the rest of the interview is the same.
The main part of the interview process is a competency based interview; there are also various other tests in mathematics, reasoning and so on as well as group exercises.
I don't know enough to give you any details but that is the general concept.

Chao

brassplate
27th Jun 2008, 12:24
the sim ride portion of the interview for non-type rated guys is fairly basic. the usual stuff, one circuit and land, v1 cut and a single engine go around off a raw data manual ils followed by a circling approach.
if you're type rated, it's usually a lot more difficult. this is because if you pass the overall interview and get an offer, your sim training will be fast tracked and you won't be bonded.

greendotspeed
27th Jun 2008, 18:28
Thanks for the info on the simulator ride.
I need more information on what to study for and where can I get the material from.
If I get an interview one day in the future I do not want to bust it. I want to prepare as much as possible.

Che Guevara
27th Jun 2008, 19:52
GD
Regarding the 'competency' based interview there is lot of information on internet if you search.

Chao

n92ec
28th Jun 2008, 11:50
Hey Guys,

Is the starting base pay different if you have A320 Type Rating?

greendotspeed
28th Jun 2008, 14:36
Please do not ask about pay, please ask about the interview process. Let us get as much info to be prepared. Please do not let this thread move onto another topic, thank you :ok:.

PAR31
29th Jun 2008, 05:58
Hi GDS,
I don't want to disappoint you but 2 pilot that joined GA with T/R and no experience have been bonded and trained like the rest.

Good luck:ok:

Par31

Cam32
29th Jun 2008, 07:11
PAR31

Bonds are only an issue if you are planning to leave before their expiry. If you are applying for Gulf Air (or any other airline) for a career, then the bond should not matter so much. If you are unfit to fly due medical condition the bond will not apply. Realistically, what is wrong with doing 3 years (or whatever) flying a jet and possibly doing what you love. Bonds only scare jumpers.

ironbutt57
29th Jun 2008, 08:14
When I joined on the 767 fleet I was not bonded, but I think it was due to current and qualified and typed on 75/76...as mentioned above if you are bonded whats the big deal, it would take the duration of the bond (2yrs?) to get any marketable time on type anyway, so how can you lose?

Speedbake
29th Jun 2008, 08:44
Hi Guys,

Just out of curiousity how much tolarnce allowed in the sim
for the non type rated pilots? And is the whole sim evaluation
done in manual flying or coupled? And the last Q, is GF interested
in hiring classic airliners pilots (727,DC9,737) non EFIS? and what
would their evaluation be since some guys don't even have any EFIS experience.?

Happy Landings :ok:

PAR31
29th Jun 2008, 09:10
Cam32,

I just wanted to give GDS one info that he did not have and maybe was going to disappoint him.
No problem at all with bond like this, but I think it's nice to know that he will have to sign a bond anyway and undergo the training of a non-type-rated guy.

Par31

greendotspeed
29th Jun 2008, 11:36
Hi all, and thank you for the information and please keep it coming.
I have no problem to sign a bond. GF has been on my list of employers for a very long time.
Bahrain life is what I love as I come from an Island myself.
Does anyone have info on the psychometric testing? As much info of this would be helpful, thank you.

n92ec
29th Jun 2008, 14:07
I just noticed that Gulf Air removed the "non type rated A320 first officer" from the "current positions" page on their website.
What does this mean?

Che Guevara
29th Jun 2008, 14:42
They are working on it perhaps....
Obviously they would rather get type rated candidates, but if they can't they will go for non-type rated.
Incidentally PAR, if you are current and have 500 hrs on type, then no bond....this has been around for years. I was one of those pilots, type rated, experienced on type and no bond.

Chao

PAR31
29th Jun 2008, 15:27
Yes Che Guevara
but the case of GDS it's different:
type rating with no experience on type.

There were 2 guys same situation and they had to sign a bond but the main thing is that he will have to undergo a full type rating with GF.
I personally think that it's a good way to review the a/c.
And again it was only an info.

Good luck GDS and good choice.:ok:

Par31

Sal-e
30th Jun 2008, 00:37
I was on the second last assessment back in 2006. If it hasn't changed much since then, it goes something like this.

It takes two days and broken into 5 main components.
1. Psychometric test.
2. ATPL general exam.
3. Flight planning exercise.
4. Group exercise.
5. Two on one interview.
6. Sim ride.

Psych test.
You can't really study for this because they have a database of thousands of mind boggling questions so I won't elaborate on it's contents. But if you fail, you will be on your way home and the assessment ends for you. This, naturally, will be the first test.
The only tip I can give you is to do it quickly and most importantly, accurately. There will be way too many questions to complete in the allocated time but accuracy is the key.
The only guy who completed the exam in my day was some Russian guy. He passed the psych brilliantly to the point of genius but ended up failing the overall assessment because of a dodgy sim ride.
Unless you're a nutter, you should pass. To date, I think only one ever failed the psych test. Sorry, didn't mean to pressure you to be the second!

ATPL general exam.
Covers general ATPL type questions. One hour. This one has nothing to do with licencing. It is fairly straight forward if you've been working in the ATPL environment. Polish up on aviation formulas, radiotelephony, aerodrome markings/signals, some met and basic IFR rules.

Flight planning exercise.
You will be given an inflight scenario that necessitates a diversion.
Elements like technical problems, availability of engineering at a non-suitable alternate, unavailability of engineering at a suitable alternate, weather, Ramadan, quarrelling crewmembers, flight time limits etc are thrown in to complicate things.
The mission must be completed within legal flight time limits at the planned destination.
This exercise actually closely reflects what happens occassionally at GF!! (probably why they have this exercise)

Group exercise.
You're a member of a charter planning group. Each candidate will have an observer who monitors his/her performance.
There will be a booklet with all the charter data that you will be given one minute to read (impossible!).
A decision will need to be made on which type of aircraft will be best suited for the charter.
Considerations such as ETOPS requirements, curfews, wet/dry lease, monsoon, alternates, profiability versus risks etc will be thrown in.
The main point about this exercise is your performance within the group environment.
Make sure every member of the group reads a chapter each so as to cover every part of the booklet before the discussion.
You should not be overbearing but try not to 'fly under the radar'. Don't forget you a being watched closely.
You must make intelligible inputs to the eventual outcome of the group's decision. Assertiveness with diplomacy and general knowledge in profitability comes to mind.

Two on one interview.
Two staffers (usually a pilot and someone from HR) will probe you for personal qualities they think will be an asset to GF.
Key virtues are work-ethics and loyalty.
GF has experienced quite a few 'bond jumpers' lately so be sure they that they know 'those' types.
Just be honest or be a really good liar. I advise the former with only the good bits.

Sim ride.
Until this point, you've only been a pilot on paper as far as GF is concerned.
This is your chance to show your flying prowess on the big jet, most likely the B767 (though GF has dispensed with those).
There will be a circuit, engine failure after V1, single engine ILS's and go around with a visual one engine landing, all that good stuff.
Should take around 30 minutes.
Oh yeah, all hand-flown without flight-director, autopilot and autothrottle.
They will be looking for:
a) a standard commensurate with your said experience,
b) CRM qualities and
c) trainability.
Use the guy to the left of you to tune navaids and talk to the tower (sorry, he can't fly for you).
Unless you crashed, or decided to do aerobatics, this one should be easy for jet pilots and at worst, too fast for non jet pilots. In which case, extend down wind, request vectoring further out (not to 100nm) etc to buy yourself time to sort it all out. Whatever you do, don't freeze. Just do that flying thing as you've always known it.

That's all I got. Hope it helps.

MMS
30th Jun 2008, 01:22
sal-e:

That was great, a very well written and well informed piece of info; thanks in advance.:ok:

Now we can just hope that GF starts recruiting for their heavy jets!

Lovesickguy
30th Jun 2008, 01:48
why woulld you want to go there anyway??? they are going down the tubes 'slowly but surely'... look elsewhere if I were you..
but you're not are you??
LSG

n92ec
30th Jun 2008, 04:06
Lovesickguy,

You ask why???? Where should we apply? UNITED???????
So why?
Because they are hiring and they are willing to pay a decent salary.

greendotspeed
30th Jun 2008, 09:08
Good day fellow aviation people and congrats to the Spanish football team.

Please do not write bad things in this thread, we the unfortunate who are looking for employment do not want to hear cynical things about Gulf Air. If you have anything bad to say please feel free to start another thread.

Thank you to Sal-e for such a good posting. Ever how I did a search on Google and found that Gulf Air once used http://www.shl.com/shl/en-int (http://www.shl.com/shl/en-int) to establish cretin tests for hiring, do they still use it?

Once again please help to build not to destroy the hopes of other people who are either single or have families and need employment. :ok:.

Speedbake
30th Jun 2008, 12:58
Sal-e

Much appreciated thanks for all the info. you provided to those of us
who are interested in joining GF info. as good as gold! Let's
hope the assesment of 2006 is the same in 2008.

Sal-e.....what about for the jet jocky that never flown EFIS, what sort
of stds. are they expecting from him/her in flying the sim? Given he/she
never flown EFIS sim/aircraft?

your reply is well appreciated, and thanx.

Sal-e
30th Jun 2008, 14:03
This should be an improvement then from what you are used to.
If you simply refuse to have technology on your side, have the EHSI switched to the basic CDI mode (I'm sure you will get a 'but why?' look!)
Trust me, EFIS jets fly the same as analogue jets, just newer instruments (if you call the early 80s newer!).
You can still use the good ole formulas for levelling off (10% of your rate of climb/descent), accounting for drift (around a degree per seven kts x-wind), attitude flying etc. It's all the same.
Ignore that they are presented on CRTs and voila!!!, you have yourself a Duchess! If it still seem too big, then imagine you're a mouse flying a duchess:}. Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Look, just go in there with a good attitude and the will to fly well.

Sal-e
30th Jun 2008, 21:03
YIKES!! Didn't realise there's that many nutter pilots out there! I guess my info was only good for 2006. Oh well. Good luck anyways.

Speedbake
1st Jul 2008, 19:36
Sal-e

Thanks for the reply. I am not scared from tech. (EFIS) just wanted
to fined out some details!! If it was my choice I would have loved to
have flown EFIS long time ago.........., but it is coming:rolleyes:!!

Cheers

skywaytoheaven
2nd Jul 2008, 07:11
The psyco tests certainly dont weed out the nutters:} They are very straight forward. (or they were 2 years ago).

Sal-e
2nd Jul 2008, 18:13
swth,
you know what? Thinking about it, you are absolutely right. A hell of a lot fooled their way passed the psych test! Or maybe they got the answers mixed up! Which means maybe we're all nutters!! (shiver!!) Scary thought.

jackbauer
2nd Jul 2008, 18:39
The psychometric testing is not designed to weed out nutters, as you call it. The purpose is to determine ability in verbal and numerical reasoning.

Sal-e
2nd Jul 2008, 20:22
Ok then. We must be reasonable nutters.:}

taffik
7th Jul 2008, 13:19
Does anybody know who I should address my cover letter to at GA in the Pilot Recruiting office? Appreciate any info

Sultan85
7th Jul 2008, 13:59
Hello to every one
I think the first day of the assessment is a bit too much if you take in mind that you're testing experienced pilots :rolleyes:!
Any way, the rest is just straight forward aviation related information's tests:8.

Good luck to all.

greendotspeed
7th Jul 2008, 15:56
Hello all, any news on when GF might start to call anyone for interviews?

skywaytoheaven
7th Jul 2008, 19:12
Sultan you're right its absolute BS for experienced pilots to have sit that crap, but thats the way its done these days....doesn't make it right though. The second interview day at GF was a big improvement and much more relevant to day to day ops etc..

Che Guevara
8th Jul 2008, 17:46
Skyway

Interesting comment re 'experienced' pilots etc. I think you will find that this type of testing is not new...I personally sat these exams with a national carrier in Europe over 20 years ago. I had about 2500 on turboprops at that time, and yes I managed to pass. So you can debate it till the cows come home I guess.
However, should GF have taken the experienced pilots that failed these tests?.....I guess you think so, well we will never know...right or wrong, I don't know, but it ain't new.

Chao

saviboy
10th Jul 2008, 01:13
is gulf air hiring?
It says no vacancies at this time on the website.

What does one need to do to apply

thanks

BUSTRASH
10th Jul 2008, 02:30
I did th online application in Jan and no response besides the automated one. I have 5500 total 3000Jet 505 A320

Syrian Aviator
11th Jul 2008, 09:03
Initially they advertised for Non-Type Rated FO with 3 year bond, i know for a fact that GF requires lots of FOs but seems that a decision was made by someone to protect the national interest and now they are looking to hire fresh CPL holders with Bahraini Nationality, what a change! it takes years to train someone like that! Good luck!

BizPilotBrazil
15th Jul 2008, 01:41
The vagancys for Non-type rating F/O was re-opened!!!