PDA

View Full Version : Skyship 600

I. M. Esperto
26th Jun 2008, 15:27
Skycruiser (http://skycruisergroup.com/Startoura.htm)

There is still active interest in the LTA industry. Here are some of the latest ideas, innovations, and airships.:ok:

skridlov
26th Jun 2008, 16:01
Airship Industrie
Remember this one from the '80s? I certainly do as one of its last gasps was to market the dirigible as a "flying billboard" - to which I supplied some DC powered signal processing equipment I designed. The concept of "Certificate of Compliance" (new to me) brought me out in hives.
Every time someone revives the airship idea the same benefits are recounted but does anyone really know how to evaluate whether these things really are an economically viable proposition. Heavy lift in military applications? If they are viable you'd have thought the military would be the first customers.

Dysag
26th Jun 2008, 16:18
Maybe they would like to explain what happens when a 60kt-capable airship comes face to face with a 60kt headwind.

captjns
26th Jun 2008, 16:35
Its called going no place fast... and getting paid for it too.:ok:

captain_flynn
26th Jun 2008, 23:05
I remember when I was growing up in West London, we used to get airships come over alot during the summer. I think the last time I saw one over London was in 2000. Do they still fly over London or not anymore?

Jetscream 32
27th Jun 2008, 19:11
I did about 50hrs in G-BIHN along the south coast for the portsmouth navy tattoo in the mid 80,s and have the claim to fame of being responsible for the fist airship ditching off of selsey bill............the skipper said to dangle the lead lines in the water so i did but the people walking on top of the cliff saw me going down and about 10 people called the Coastguard to report an airship ditiching in the sea......... what a giggle it is to fly tho.... cessna 152 control yoke with no rudder pedals, and nothing happening fast.... lots of anticipation, and also leaving your seat to stick your head up into the envelope to read the ballast bag readings and either dump or distribute better...... yeee haaaa that was fun....! great memories and that was all work experience when i was 14