PDA

View Full Version : Islands in the Whitsundays?

hogespa28
26th Jun 2008, 12:58
Going to be flying up to the Whitsundays tomorrow, need some suggestions for places to land/stay. Have been thinking of Great Keppel Island which is a fair way south but could do a scenic from there. Any ideas of other places? Maybe Hook Island, but cant find anything about a strip there?

Cheap accommodation is a plus, hostel or similar...

Anyone know much about Great Keppel strip?

Cap'n Arrr
26th Jun 2008, 13:07
Had a friend who went (or was planning to go to) great keppel. From memory it's a tad over 800m long, and I think they may waive the landing fee if you are staying on the island, although I could be thinking of Hamilton Is.:bored:

Binoculars
26th Jun 2008, 13:12
Err, Great Keppel is not part of the Whitsundays. It would serve you fine as a nice place to get drunk in a climate far removed from Melbourne's, but if you want to explore the Whitsundays your preferred destination should be Shute Harbour airstrip, located between Airlie Beach and Shute Harbour.

On the islands themselves there are landing strips on Lindeman and Hamilton if you want to stay on said islands. If you don't you will find them rather expensive. Brampton also has its own strip and the same applies, though I don't think it specifically qualifies as part of the Whitsundays.

If you park at YSHR you can do scenic tours at your leisure over the whole Whitsunday group, and I have to say there are few nicer places to be at this time of the year.

If you are on a budget there is a caravan park with cabins on the airfield itself and next door to the bar, which is a delightful place to have a sundowner. Otherwise you're up for accommodation in Airlie Beach. Google is your friend there, but both ends of the spectrum are catered for; lots of backpackers joints.

If it's just the climate you want to escape, maybe Great Keppel isn't a bad option. If you want to stay on one of the Whitsunday islands, South Molle and Daydream both offer relatively reasonable packages, and Hamilton isn't really excessive. Just stay away from Hayman unless you're made of money.

Have a nice holiday! Feel free to PM me if you need any more info.

Poto
26th Jun 2008, 13:22
If you are going to shute Harbour give them a ring first as the strip is being graded atm and is reduced ;)

Binoculars
26th Jun 2008, 13:37
Quite right. It's also not recommended for very low time pilots. The prevailing winds demand a landing into the south east, an oblique approach between two hills with some interesting wind effects. (I emphasise I'm not a pilot) They suggest a minimum of a few hundred hours. It can also be quite a busy airport, and I recommend you study up on the frequency requirements.

hogespa28
26th Jun 2008, 14:16
Are you referring to Shute Harbour or Great Keppel?

The weather at the moment is pretty perfect so may be less of an issue I hope and am always prepared to go around if it doesn't feel quite right...

Thanks for the tips, hard life this... Choosing between islands to land on for another holiday! Will miss these "Hour building trips!"...

Binoculars
26th Jun 2008, 14:35
We were both referring to Shute Harbour. I don't know anything about Great Keppel strip.

go_soaring
26th Jun 2008, 23:17
I had a wonderful time on Great Keppel Island, worked there for 12 months doing the 'shuttle runs'. I used to overnight there every other night, so I'll leave it up to your imagination as to what we/I got up too!

The strip is 800m with a 2% slope up to the SE. RWY is 12/30. I was briefed by one of the previous operators out of there, as well as a few guys from the QAS days never to land on 30 (unless it's the calmest of days and you want a challenge!), the reason was because of nasty windshears and curl-overs from the surrounding hills..

Unfortunately though, Great Keppel Island resort has been closed down so it can be knocked down and re-built! I 'hear' that the plans for the island in many years to come, will include a new airstrip which can take DASHs and SAABs (would love REX to have a base there!! I know, I know, I'm dreamin' :}), a couple of professional golf courses, as well as 3 new resorts scattered around the island!

Not sure if the backpackers is still there, or what the story is for landing there at the moment. Maybe call up the Rocky aero club, I'm sure they'll be able to help.

go_soaring! instead

fixa24
27th Jun 2008, 08:38
Poto's right.

Shute is down to half length ATM, as runway upgrades and other associated money spending ventures are underway. Still enough room for most aircraft though. It is a PPR field though. Keep your eye's and ears open going in there, quite a lot of meat bombing activity, as well as itinerant aircraft.
Have flown in there several times, pm if you need more info.