PDA

View Full Version : IE 5.5 Strange problem

SLF 999
4th Apr 2001, 19:48
Has anyone had a problem in IE 5.5 when it automatically changes from Dont dial a connection (tools, internet options, connections) to Always dial my default connection and then starts to dial out, reset it (and make sure apply is clicked),and then it does it again, after about 10 min.
Checked on the microsoft newsgroups and several other have had it but no one seems to know how to stop it happening.
Anyone any suggestions?

Flyswift
5th Apr 2001, 00:21
Have you tried to totally remove it, and re-install?

Maybe, just maybe........ :)

Airbanda
5th Apr 2001, 02:02
Hi SLF
Just a thoght but who is your ISP? My experience suggests they can remotely adjust your settings.

I use Demon but maintain a backup account with Virgin. My default connection is one or another of the Demon numbers. However on the odd occasion I connect via Virgin it is immediately reset to their dial up number. Never actualy investigated whether it also messes with the settings you mention but it would make sense from an ISP point of view as it makes it easier to force advertising down your throat!!

SLF 999
5th Apr 2001, 12:55
Did a remove (well as much as I could with IE) and reinstall and discovered that one of the setting that can effect this is in outlook express - 'check for mail every x min', if this is ticked it and the box below it tells it about a connection it will dial a connection to check for mail ! Needless to say the check for mail box is now unchecked and so far no problems.
Thanks