PDA

View Full Version : IP Security - USBs

Cessna182RG
26th Jun 2008, 11:16
I have just bought a Dell XPS - looks pretty good.

I have just noticed that there are USB ports at the back of the keyboard and also at the bottom of the monitor.

Can data be downloaded from these ports or are they just for a mouse. It will be a problem for my work if data can be downloaded - so if it can does anyone have any suggestions about how to stop this etc.

Thanks

BOAC
26th Jun 2008, 11:34
All USB ports will accept a large number of accessories many of which could handle (and broadcast) the CONTENTS of your machine.

Cure?

Password protect your machine and don't leave it where it can be hacked. Not 100% secure, but if you are dealing in top secret stuff then you must encrypt the data as well. ....(and then leave it on a train:))

Bushfiva
26th Jun 2008, 12:11
You can get USB locks: they're a sort of blanking plug with an applicator. Or if you never need to use the ports, fill'em up with glue or unscrew the keyboard case and disconnect them. Or disable them in Windows, but Windows tends to rediscover stuff.

Cessna182RG
26th Jun 2008, 12:54
Others have to use the machine and that is where the problem lies.

Forgive the tech ignorance but is it just as easy to remove date using the USB ports on the keyboard and monitor as plugging a stick into the USB port on the main tower ? Or would it be more a "technical" challenge.

I really just have to hold the fort until I get some locks delivered - I may also getting some software from safend.com - it looks pretty good.

Always hard when you have to make the machine not do what they are all designed to do.

The late XV105
26th Jun 2008, 13:59
Just as easy. My previous home computer had no front panel USB ports so I used to back up data to an external HDD plugged in to one of the two ports on the back of the keyboard.

Plug and play. Job done, I'm afraid, if you don't take any other precaution.

Typing "how to disable a USB port" in to Google returns a pile of hits, the first of which I got was this one: Disable USB ports to prevent unauthorized data transfers (http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10878_11-5030674.html)

The "fill it with glue" technique is mentioned, but then so is a rather more elegant BIOS solution.

Background Noise
26th Jun 2008, 14:18
Strange - I thought I had posted a comment about this but it seems not to be here. It went along the lines of -

I'm guessing you were hoping to hide the main tower away from other users? You can lock USB ports with software/BIOS as mentioned but can you do that selctively? I bet any software block is hackable? Can they be physically disconnected without disabling the whole machine I wonder.

Our computers at work have USB ports, if you put a memory stick in it is recognised and given a drive letter but it will not allow you to actually read it.