PDA

View Full Version : VFR Doc and Avgas 100 LL

Makaya
26th Jun 2008, 08:33
Hi Guys

I am about to ferry fly one of the most glamorous aircraft ever built down to South Africa from France : a 1941 Lockheed 12 Electra Junior.

I am pretty used to that road down to Congo.
I am looking for some VFR doc for Luanda, Ondangwa and Windhoek and Avgas availability.

Anyone can help ?

Thanks

Mak

Makaya
29th Jun 2008, 10:40
I have to admit I am desapointed.

I was not expecting hundreds of answers.
But I thought solidarity was something common among pilots all around the world.

Don't let me believe it is just not true in South Africa... :cool:

Thanks guys

Bloodhound
29th Jun 2008, 16:21
No gen at all, sorry mak:confused:

xbok
29th Jun 2008, 16:27
Try www.avcom.co.za (http://www.avcom.co.za)

Doodlebug
29th Jun 2008, 19:24
As bloodhound says, would love to help but I think you´ll find most of the guys don´t have much experience with pistons north of Namibia/Botswana/RSA. You should be able to top up in either Ondangwa or Rundu when you reach Namibia, for what it´s worth.

What a lovely piece of machinery you´ll be flying. Envy! :D

HansFlyer
30th Jun 2008, 07:14
Ok for what it is worth?

In Angola - make sure you have HF radio! - Also landing fees are very expensive.

Fuel Availability - It is not always clear - but try www.airbp.co.za (http://www.airbp.co.za) they should be able to confirm availability.

Once south of Angola several options:

Katima Mulilo FYKM or Ondangwa are daylight hours and both usually have fuel AVGAS.

Swakopmund and Eros are further south Also with Fuel.

Luderitz is further south and probably the furthest south in Namibia you will find fuel.

In South Africa most of the major Airports will have AVGAS.

Other option would be to route via Botswana Maun - They have AVGAS and is only about 3.5 hours from Lanseria in South Africa

Be careful as Weather info is very difficult to come by - especially for VFR flights.

Good Luck

HF

Carrier
30th Jun 2008, 19:26
From the DRC you might consider routing through Zambia and Botswana. There is not much avgas in the DRC, definitely none in Lubumbashi unless you arrange for some drums to be moved there. You should be able to obtain avgas at Ndola, Lusaka and Livingstone in Zambia. This is subject to the usual African shortages so check first with BP Zambia. Francistown and Gaborone in Botswana should have avgas. Alternatively you could fly non-stop from Zambia over Zimbabwe to Polokwane (Pietersburg) or Lanseria in South Africa and then on to your final destination in SA. All the places mentioned are international airports where you can clear Immigration and Customs.

Makaya
3rd Jul 2008, 09:43
Thanks guys

I appreciate your support. I am glad you guys put me wrong.
Thanks for those info.

Cheers

Mak

172driver
3rd Jul 2008, 20:58
Lucky B****d - sounds like a great trip in a fab a/c :ok:

Can only comment on Namibia - if you plan to refuel at Rundu or Lüderitz make sure to call ahead and advise of approx quantity required.

Have a great one !