PDA

View Full Version : Resource management out of synch

Leanan Sidhe
3rd Apr 2001, 04:15
I've a local problem with AOL v.5.0 misjudging the available memory on my drive. This, consequently, starts interfering with my other applications while online. I refresh caches, cookies, and temp folders regularly...
Do any of you lot have any idea how I might sychronize or disable the resource management bundled into AOL?

ickle black box
3rd Apr 2001, 20:36
What do you mean by 'interfering' with other applications ?. Do you have much harddisk space left, or is it running out. If you are using AOL, you may want to un-install IE (If you can, depending on version), to free up some space, as well as clearing the temp folders. If you've got plenty of disk space, but are having problems with AOL when it's running, you could upgrade to AOL 6. I'm guessing, but I would expect AOL to manage memory in a similar manner to other programs, when it runs low, it starts to page to the harddrive (which will cause a problem if the harddrive is full).

ickle

Leanan Sidhe
3rd Apr 2001, 21:52
Aye right - I use IE5.5 or Communicator4.75 for browsing - AOL is strictly used as my ISP. The problem is that AOL resource management differs my internal resource management calculations. I don't save any images or huge text files to my hard drive (unless I have to in order to send them via email) & I regularly dump temporary files (cache, history, etc.).
The interference, of course, is akin to incomplete loading of pages online, or "done but with errors, etc.
I may just need to get rid of AOL unless I can figure out a way to sych it up.

Thanks for the tip anyway lad.