PDA

View Full Version : Pprune website warning.

Fareastdriver
25th Jun 2008, 20:07
Has anybody else had this?
I use Computer Associates anti virus and it includes a website inspector. With Pprune there is normally a panel showing Pprune.org, Pprune Ltd, UK verified in green.
I logged in yesterday and all the hooters went and it was showing Pprune, US, Address unknown verified in RED, HIGH RISK.
Is it possible that a US based hacker is trying to highjack the forum for any reason.

mutt
25th Jun 2008, 22:04
Have you considered the fact that PPrune was sold to a US based company about 6 months ago, you might have also noticed a lot of changes regarding the setup of the site, so i doubt that your problem is a hacker....

Mutt

Saab Dastard
25th Jun 2008, 22:17
In my experience, anything by, with or from Computer Associates is suspect. That is, of course, a subjective and purely personal opinion, based on a series of bad experiences with their products and their people. :yuk:

But I think that Mutt has the answer - a change of source IP address for www.pprune.org or .com probably confused the CA product.

If in doubt, ping www.pprune.org - the correct IP address is 67.201.16.181.

Check also loading 67.201.16.181 directly into your browser. www.pprune.org should appear.

SD

Fareastdriver
26th Jun 2008, 01:26
I only had it once. I disconnected and relogged and it has not reoccured.
The only problem I have had with CA was on the yearly renewal where I could not remove all the previous year's programme so my computer kept defaulting to that and telling me it was out of date. Eventually the only way out was to refomat my C drive to clear it and reinstalled windows etc so I could load the current subscription. Apart from that I've been very satisfied with them.

P.Pilcher
26th Jun 2008, 10:54
Dear God! What extrordinary lengths to have to go to to cure that problem. I am sure that if you had posted it here, one of our experts would have been able to suggest a less drastic cure.

P.P.

Fareastdriver
26th Jun 2008, 23:44
It doesn't take long, as long as you arrange your software in the right partitions. I have little more than windows, anti-virus and my documents in drive C which is all a hacker is interested in. Reformatting clears out any unknown viruses, trackers, etc and reloading, including updating, takes about an hour. I do it around every three months.

Shunter
27th Jun 2008, 06:41
That's so overkill it's not even funny! I don't know what Joe Public does with his machine which makes him so prone to viruses, but this laptop sits on the kitchen worktop, switched on 24/7, with a public IP address. It has 4 important programs installed:

AVG antivirus (which has never been triggered)
Firefox (with adblock extension)
Thunderbird (for email)
Windows Firewall

No viruses. Not 1, ever. If you really must flatten your machine every 3 months, can I suggest using an imaging tool such as Drive Image, Ghost, or Partimage (free)? Another alternative for the paranoid is using something like Tripwire, which essentially checksums all the files on your disc, allowing you to verify their integrity at any time in order to check for modification. Also, the assertion that viruses are only interested in Windows components is incorrect.

cats_five
27th Jun 2008, 08:40
You obviously don't have much in the way of other software on your PC. When I finally reformated recently (after adding a second hard disk), it took a couple of days to reinstall all the software and do the Windows updates.