PDA

View Full Version : Airbus or 777

Raise or Fold
25th Jun 2008, 16:38
I have been offered a choice of the Airbus or the Boeing at Emirates.
I really don't care which one I go to, I like them both, it is the class date for the them for me to choose.
From what I understand, right now, the 777 is the place to be. Is the future is on the Airbus?
If hired onto the Boeing, will I be able to upgrade or transition to the airbus at a future date? Or is it once on the boeing or airbus, you stay on those aircraft.
Which one has the longer upgrade?
Are there short trips in the 777? Or are they all 4 days and longer?
Thanks for any input.
R of F

what_goes_up
25th Jun 2008, 17:22
Man, tough call.
For the time being, better lifestyle and faster command on 777. But what is true today must not be tomorrow.
As for the transition from Boeing to Airbus... Only if they (management) have to. Otherwise you're stuck with the fleet you are on.
Had the same choice, took Airbus and would do it again...

Not much of a help, sorry.

Thylakoid
25th Jun 2008, 17:34
I have been offered a choice of the Airbus or the Boeing at Emirates.

Are they giving people a choice now?

I really don't care which one I go to, I like them both, it is the class date for the them for me to choose.
From what I understand, right now, the 777 is the place to be. But the future is on the Airbus.

Not so sure about that, since both fleets fly a lot.

If hired onto the Boeing, will I be able to upgrade or transition to the airbus at a future date? Or is it once on the boeing or airbus, you stay on those aircraft.

There is a minimum time to stay on an assigned fleet (3 years? I am not sure; have to read it on the FOM).
Transitions, upgrades from one fleet to another, is entirely subject to company needs.

Which one has the longer upgrade?

After a minimum of three years in the company, you would be OK for upgrade on your fleet or on the other (company requirements again). Upgrades are based on suitability and seniority, on that order.

Are there short trips in the 777? Or are they all 4 days and longer?
Thanks for any input.

There are short trips (00:45 to 03:30 hours) in the Boeing. ULRs (48 hours layovers), and one or two patterns of eight or nine days to Australia.

All the best and welcome to the "sophisticated desert." :E

R of F

Warbirds
25th Jun 2008, 19:06
Go for the Boeing, it's pilot friendly :}

helen-damnation
25th Jun 2008, 21:45
Go for the Airbus

We're people friendly :ok: :E

tbaylx
26th Jun 2008, 05:41
There is no argument right now..the rosters are wayyyyyyy better on the Boeing at the moment. How the 380 introduction changes that will have to be seen. If (and that is a big if) you have the choice take the Boeing unless you like night turns to india.

I hear after a year or so when you get typed on the 340 as well it gets better on the airbus, but at the moment there is not even a comparison between the schedules.

The Boeing has lots of trips under 4 days..most of the ones over that are the Oz trips and are easily avoided on most bid months if you don't like them.

Oh..and we do have the odd prat on the 777, but 99% of the guys are great to work with so don't let that rumor scare you off.

fourgolds
26th Jun 2008, 06:00
Have been on both fleets here.Ultimately for me its not about the machine its about the lifestyle. i much prefer the 777 lifestyle and destinations. i also have more than 30% more time off then I did on the bus.
However as pointed out the only thing guaranteed here is change , the future might well be on the bus fleet. But remember you are talking a good number of years before the 380,s and 350,s are numerous enough I feel to reflect this change. possibly 2012 +++ , who knows ???

TangoUniform
26th Jun 2008, 07:20
Have to agree with FourGolds. Think about it, 777 deliveries continue at one to two a/c per month (despite a few delays due to vendor issues at Boeing). What is the fleet increase on the 'bus? The 380s will come at a snail's pace which will help to some degree and the 350 is still on the drawing board.

One other issue still not discussed is who is to fly the ordered 747-8s? If we get the nod, then of course it will be mostly Boeing guys.

And finally as others have said, I think the days off and and over all roster satisfaction is better on the Boeing. But the ULR flts will get to you after awhile on the 777. And you didn't mention what you have been flying, Boeing or 'bus or neither. I would say, stay with your current manufactuer unless its something else.

Geragau
26th Jun 2008, 08:26
For an easier flying....B777.

For better snooze time on the pilot seat....go for Airbus. B777 pilot seats suck!

kingpost
26th Jun 2008, 09:09
Raise or Fold

If you're from the US go to the Airbus otherwise choose the Boeing. It makes it easier for the trainers!!!!

fatbus
26th Jun 2008, 10:00
Have only done 1 night turn to India in the last 2 years and that was in the summer and worked for my roster(airbus). With max 14 days off a month both fleets are evening out. Being MFF helps. Dont think the 380 is going to come at a slow pace, once its on track they will come fast and furious.777 is the bigger fleet so more pairings to pick from.332 was to start retiring in 07 but that seems to be on hold. Guys seem to think GOL on the 380 is going to be very good to start.777 is presently over crewed which helps the rosters now, cant see that going on to long.If you come from an Airbus backgroung stay AB and if you come from a Boeing background go 777, it keeps things simple and that might be a very good thing, just talk to someone who has had a problem durring training.

jackbauer
26th Jun 2008, 11:26
One other issue still not discussed is who is to fly the ordered 747-8s? If we get the nod, then of course it will be mostly Boeing guys.

Sorry to burst the bubble but if what I hear is true a deal is being done to have ATLAS or TNT crew your 748's.

halas
26th Jun 2008, 11:56
And if what l hear is true, they won't.

halas

fatbus
26th Jun 2008, 12:13
So far its going to be EK to crew the 748, if they come at all, or should I say delayed because Cargo is going to not have as good a year as last. The 310's are not be replaced by the 748, different routes

fo4ever
26th Jun 2008, 14:16
If you wanna do your cabin crew briefing in full uniform ie. jacket and hat on then go for 777

square leg
26th Jun 2008, 19:43
777 and 748 will be MFF.

fatbus
26th Jun 2008, 23:52
CCQ or MFF or both, thought the 777 had different flight control system than the 748

White Knight
27th Jun 2008, 07:02
fo4ever - that about sums it all up really:ok:

pullup hard
27th Jun 2008, 16:06
Raise or Fold- You would be the first guy that has a choice between AB and Boeing- and I do not believe in miracles anymore. EK is so much money- driven that I doubt they would put you on equipment of YOUR choice rather than THEIR choice.
On the other hand they might have realized that their manpower planning is crap and give you a choice in order TO BLAME YOU LATER! ;)
So, be aware and double check with them before you soar in with high hopes!!!
In either case, good luck on your way in, while I am on my way out and looking forward to normal life!
PUH

Wiley
28th Jun 2008, 03:11
Sorry for the thread drift, but if what this guy says is true, that he's been offered the choice between the Bus and the Boeing, it represents a huge shift in policy by EK - and gives lie to their assertions that they are swamped with talent in their recruiting pool.

fatbus
28th Jun 2008, 05:28
He was more than likely told that " we are filling openings on both fleets at the present time". There are lots of guys that came from Boeing back ground and went Bus and visa versa. Flew with a guy lately from a long haul Boeing background , his course mainly boeing background and half went on the bus, all assigned no one had a choice. And yes there now is a pool forming, Sep courses now filled. Keep in mind that interveiws and course dates are always changing for a number of reasons. Unfortunate for all the US pilots is this gives EK time to get more apps from other countries which they want to even out the numbers( not one group all at one time) and as time goes on more companies will be cutting back. EK has put road shows off for UFN.

dashti
30th Jun 2008, 23:11
If it's not Boeing i'am not going...

G-LUCK

BUSTRASH
1st Jul 2008, 02:28
They have started putting succesful applicants in pools.

TangoUniform
1st Jul 2008, 02:31
Hope they're cooled, because they will boil like lobsters in 50degree heat.:}

Tears for Fears
24th Jul 2008, 16:35
Hi,
I have recently received confirmation on which fleet I will be allocated:
It's Boeing ...
Can anyone tell me where the Ground and Simulator training should take place ?
How many months ?
Tks

IcarusRising
26th Jul 2008, 20:00
Love the 330, it is a great aircraft to fly, smooth, cool and very high tech, what more can a pilot want !

PositiveRate876
26th Jul 2008, 20:34
I would rather take the BUS than AIRBUS. It is not an AIRPLANE.
MAN FLEX +62 SRS RWY A/THR BLUE. Cockpit is noisy. The Airbus cabin is much quieter than the 777. The 343 cockpit is one of the quietest I have flown (partly due to no thrust being produced) The Brakes are noisy too. (?????) Hydraulics are also noisy in the cabin. You must be thinking about the 320 series. You can't hear the hydraulics on the 330/340
Lots of other unexplainable things. The manuals are all over the place. True. Emirates to blame partly. FOM is a mess. If you dont want to have headache. don't fly AIRBUS.

2 Airbus selling points:

Pilot seats more comfortable
Table to eat your dinner / do your Soduku onNuff said.

BigGeordie
27th Jul 2008, 05:56
When I interviewed (years ago!) I was asked which fleet I would prefer- but it was just a hypothetical interview question to see what answer I came up with and why. Talking to other people during training it was obvious they didn't take any notice of what the answer was.

broad sword
28th Jul 2008, 01:27
I'm sure the airbus table is great but Boeing's have tables as well.
You just gotta move to the Observer seat.
Not a big deal and very nice to eat off, so not really an advantage over the 777.

TwinJock
28th Jul 2008, 12:05
Tears for Fears

Dubai
Dubai/London/Singapore
3 months+/-

Dubai ONLY for 777 transition. London and Singapore not used anymore!