PDA

View Full Version : Albanese Review & Essendon Airport

CitationJet
25th Jun 2008, 09:55
Read it and weep - the 'submission' from the local member.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/nap/files/THOMSON_K.pdf

CitationJet
25th Jun 2008, 09:59
Submissions close on Friday 27 June 2008.

PPruners should make their views on aviation (and Essendon) known.

Submissions don't need to be long - a paragraph will do. Just include your name and address.

They can be emailed to :

[email protected]

The Department will then publish them on its website as formal submissions to the inquiry.

Cap'n Arrr
25th Jun 2008, 10:21
Sorry, couldn't get even half way through that tripe.

What the F:mad: does Lockhart River have to do with a bunch of bogans building houses next to an airport then complaining about noise?

And since the curfew is a NO EXEMPTION being proposed, I guess the RFDS will have to stop flying at certain times.

But it's OK, cause the bogan's will be able to watch their reruns of Friends uninterrupted.:ugh:

Sunfish
25th Jun 2008, 10:31
Albanese is a NSW member of the Labour party, the guys that built apartment blocks on Circular Key.
They will build anything they like in Melbourne.

CitationJet
25th Jun 2008, 22:45
It is no good complaining on PPrune. Send an email submission to the inquiry.

ForkTailedDrKiller
26th Jun 2008, 00:24
I gotta agree with at least one part of the submission - all "twin piston aircraft" should be phased out!

Dr :8

Islander Jock
26th Jun 2008, 00:37
I gotta agree with at least one part of the submission - all "twin piston aircraft" should be phased out!
:= Now now FT. Bit of lazy cut and paste there on your part. Read again Recommendation 3 on Page 7 of the report.

ForkTailedDrKiller
26th Jun 2008, 01:10
Recommendation 3: Single and Twin Piston aircraft to be phased out and relocated to other airports

IJ - Are there any single piston aircraft in Oz? I figured there might be the odd twin!

Dr :8

Critical Reynolds No
26th Jun 2008, 01:28
Does this sound ok?

"Dear Sirs,

I'd like it to be known that I disagree with the comments in relation to Essendon airport and his advice to close. I am a long time resident and have no issue with the airport, it's noise of supposed fumes. I have more issues with the fumes coming from the Tullamarine & Calder freeways. As for safety, it can be argued that these roads are more dangerous and cost more lives than the airport has.

Essendon has been at it's location since the 1920s and can't believe anyone who chooses to live near an airport is dumb enough to complain about it. The airport serves not only a great service to northern Melbourne with jobs, but preforms a lifesaving function for the whole of Victoria. The Victorian Ambulance service uses Essendon and the driving time to the Royal Melbourne Hospital from the airport would be less than 10 minutes. Times would be longer with Morabbin to the Alfred or Tullamarine to the Royal. This also translates into the requested curfew of 11pm to 6pm. This could cost lives and for what? So some numb brain can watch TV in peace? My back fence is the airport and I have no issue with noise. It's better than my neighbours bass that keeps going for all hours and the hoons doing burnouts down the street."

cogwheel
26th Jun 2008, 01:34
Sad really... when someone uses his position to talk about something he knows very little or nothing about (for alternative reasons). The major cities of Australia need more airports, not less. The paper is full of typos and other errors of fact showing his level of knowledge (or his writers?) is minimal on this matter. Shame!

Hopefully the Minister will take little notice of it...

Islander Jock
26th Jun 2008, 03:00
Dr,
OK ya got me.:ok:
Comprehension was my worse subject at school. Seems to be a trait that has stayed with me.

Oh so it's these he wants to see phased out from flying into Essendon?
http://i291.photobucket.com/albums/ll307/IslanderJock/skylark60-1-magoo.jpg

woollcott
26th Jun 2008, 03:19
Grew up in Pascoe Vale and very much enjoyed watching Bristol Frighteners on finals........I could spot one, go inside make a cup of tea and a sandwich and return to find them only about 1/2 a mile closer.
Then of course I started work there..........So it is a place dear to my heart. Any closure would be a travesty.
And, if they are contemplating closing it, Why is there so much building going on?

HarleyD
26th Jun 2008, 03:54
I hope all of you that have had a whinge here about what b#stards these poeple are who want to close Essendon have taken a few minutes to jot a couple of sensibly written paragraphs as a submission againt the closure to the posted address.

It not too hard, no harder than posting a moan here, just scan the report, pick an item you know is specifically wrong or factually incorrect and succinctly point this out the mongrols, the stinking, rotten, scum sucking bottom dwellers that they are..........yes I have.

HD

Cap'n Arrr
26th Jun 2008, 06:58
What if we took the entire report, gave everyone a paragraph to disprove, then compiled it into one "joint report" as he made with some other woman mentioned several times, and mailed the whole thing off, destroying his credibility on the topic, as well as hopefully opening some eyes in the govt. ?

Islander Jock
26th Jun 2008, 07:18
Cap'n, not a bad idea. A similar method was used to totally discredit the consultants employed to convince the locals and govt that Jandakot had to be moved.:D
Does Essendon Airport have a chamber of commerce representing the businesses on the field? If you are going to fight this, you need to do it in a logical and well presented way. Unfortunately you have a big hurdle without the support of the local politician.

Ultralights
26th Jun 2008, 07:35
but also because of the
extremely close vicinity of homes to the Airport’s runways, flight paths and aircraft
infrastructure.
Essendon Airport is surrounded on all sides by heavily developed residential
areas. Aircraft taking off and landing from both the North-South and East West
Runways fly close to homes under these flight paths.

well, as stated earlier in the document, the airport has existed in its present location since 1921! long before the Long term residential housing was built....
and just Who approved the construction of heavily developed residential housing so close to the airport?????

Cap'n Arrr
26th Jun 2008, 08:00
Let's get started then! I give you my response to Part 1 - Overview (skipped some prelim info at the start) (my bolding)

The Airport’s first tenant was J H Larkin in December 1921. It was used by many aviation pioneers and welcomed many international visitors and distinguished guests (Carman 2001).

Essendon Airport (2008) was also used as a defence facility during the Second World War.

In 1996 the Federal Department of Transport recommended Essendon Airport’s closure. But the then Transport Minister, The Hon John Sharp MP, determined that the Airport would stay open and that it would be sold to private operators (Carman 2001).

In 1998 Essendon Airport Pty Ltd (EAPL) (2007:14) was granted a 50 year lease with a 49 year option. Control of Essendon Airport Pty Ltd was transferred to a joint venture of the Linfox and Becton Groups in September 2001. In 2005, the Becton Group transferred its interest to Beck Corporation.

The joint venture company paid A$22 million for the lease of the 305 hectare site, which is located only 14 kilometres from the Melbourne CBD. This lease specifically requires EAPL to continue operating the facility as an airport, while also undertaking commercial development (Carman 2001).

The Lease Agreement between the Commonwealth and EAPL states that
throughout the term of the lease, the Lessee must develop the Airport Site at its own cost and expense, having regard to the actual and anticipated future growth in traffic demand for the Airport site (Commonwealth 1998:12)

The previous Federal Government imposed this Agreement upon the local community without any consultation. Had public feedback been sought, the Government would have known that the strong majority of residents want aviation activities to be relocated.

In accordance with the Airport Act 1996, EAPL (2007) released its Draft Master Plan for the next five years in November 2007. The Act requires all airports to put forward a Draft Master Plan to set out management’s intentions for the airport for the next five years.

Proposals put forward in this Draft Master Plan indicate an intensification of aircraft activity over the next five years. These proposals include constructing up to thirteen new hangars, a light aircraft parking apron for up to 70 aircraft, discussion of a new control tower and the upgrading of the existing terminal building. This is out of step with the views of the local community.

I have made a joint submission with the Victorian State Member for Essendon, Mrs Judy Maddigan MP, in response to the Draft Master Plan. Our submission discusses the issues associated with intensifying aviation activity and makes eleven recommendations the EAPL is encouraged to implement. I have enclosed a copy of the joint submission and resident correspondence for your information.

The site is well past its use by date as an Airport. The proposals in its recent Draft Master Plan to intensify aviation activity are out of step with both the local community’s wishes and the changes which have happened and continue to happen both on and off the site.

Well, there's plenty of bias there, probably not least because since Essendon is within Thomson's electorate, he would occasionally recieve calls demanding the airport's closure from certain residents of the area.

The Airport’s first tenant was J H Larkin in December 1921.

So effectively, unless said complaining resident moved in before December 1921, the airport has been there since they moved to the area. What sort of person moves in next to an ALREADY EXISTING airport, when they clearly have an issue with aircraft noise?

The previous Federal Government imposed this Agreement upon the local community without any consultation. Had public feedback been sought, the Government would have known that the strong majority of residents want aviation activities to be relocated.That is a generalisation. Has Mr Thomson recieved a vote from every single resident of the local community, and counted out that more people want the airport moved than not? If not, then how does he know? Because he recieves more angry phone calls about aircraft noise than phone calls wanting to keep the airport where it is? I don't know many people who would call up to ask that the airport remain in it's present position, especially considering that:

In 1998 Essendon Airport Pty Ltd (EAPL) (2007:14) was granted a 50 year lease with a 49 year option. Control of Essendon Airport Pty Ltd was transferred to a joint venture of the Linfox and Becton Groups in September 2001. In 2005, the Becton Group transferred its interest to Beck Corporation.

The joint venture company paid A$22 million for the lease

And finally:

This lease specifically requires EAPL to continue operating the facility as an airport, while also undertaking commercial development

So essentially, the airport is legally owned by EAPL, and they legally must continue to operate the facility as an airport. If I lease a house for 12 months, I don't constantly ring up to inform the lessor that I think it's good that the house is on lease for 12 months, this is assumed to be the case as it is legally required!

Proposals put forward in this Draft Master Plan indicate an intensification of aircraft activity over the next five years. These proposals include constructing up to thirteen new hangars, a light aircraft parking apron for up to 70 aircraft, discussion of a new control tower and the upgrading of the existing terminal building. This is out of step with the views of the local community.

Again, this is not fact. Granted, there are some vocal members of the local community who wish the airport to be torn down regardless of the consequences, however this may not necessarily be the views of the community as a whole. The only way to prove this is to get the views of every member of said community.

The site is well past its use by date as an Airport.

Not until 2048 (50 years after signing by EAPL), and only then if EAPL decide it is. This is a baseless statement, and according to figures from Essendon Airport itself, there are over 60000 movements (that is, takeoffs and landings) per year. This does not sound to me like an airport that has "passed its use by date" by any amount, nor does it sound like an airport for which operators do not have a use for!

But then, I wouldn't expect someone proposing a no exemptions curfew, or fly neighbourly areas over a major, controlled, metropolitan airport to understand when an airport is past its use by date, or indeed trust someone who believes that fumes from aircraft are the major cause of air quality issues, when in fact Aviation Fuel is more refined and burned more efficiently than anything used in the vehicles that pass the airport every day on the Calder and Tullamarine highways <insert that thing mentioned on another thread regarding toxicity of avgas, avtur and mogas from the shell website> to make a sweeping statement demanding the airports closure and claiming it is in the communities best interests.

--------------------------------------------------------
End Overview rebuttal
--------------------------------------------------------

Side note - just noticed on the essendon site that the draft plan has already been submitted, and what i wrote will thus have no bearing on it whatsoever. Nevertheless, I feel better!:ok:

Diamond Jim
26th Jun 2008, 09:16
I emailed those clowns running the anti EN website and asked them if the airport had been there since 1921 why did they move there and subsequently want it closed? That was four or five weeks ago and I'm still waiting for a reply.

flyinggit
26th Jun 2008, 10:25
Interesting reading if you like bed time "scarey stories" Correct me if I am wrong here but didn't that fatal Partenavia T/off from RWY 26 @EN rather than the Nth/Sth RWY?
I guess these people want the noise problem to be someone elses problem, the old I don't want it in my backyard!
Would there be that much jet action there? I know jet planes now are much quieter than their old counterparts & that was because of people complaining about noise, what next? Gliders?
I wonder if any of the people against En actually read these pages?

FG

Cap'n Arrr
26th Jun 2008, 12:29
Just in case they do....

YOU'RE A BUNCH OF TOSSERS!