PDA

View Full Version : IFR renewal

Stormynights
25th Jun 2008, 04:59
Can anyone tell me what the requirements are for a renewal.
I have not used my ifr rating since i got it some ten years ago.
Nor have i done any renewals.
Is it just a matter of getting back up to standard or do i have do the whole thing again ?

Cheers Stormy

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Jun 2008, 05:10
Stormy, ya just have to do the equivalent of an initial issue flight test.

eg all the aids will have to be flown in the aeroplane, ya can't do any in a sim, as you can for a renewal.

Unless your a natural, your probably gonna need to do some training to tune you up. Ya need to contact a good school/ATO.

Dr :8

TinKicker
25th Jun 2008, 05:12
Hi Stormy,

CAO 40.2.1 Instrument Ratings - Subsection 12 Refers to Renewals of the Instrument Rating.
Specifically 12.3...

12.3 Where an instrument rating has expired for a period in excess of 12 months, an applicant may qualify for issue of a rating by passing the instrument rating test applicable to the initial issue of an instrument rating.

Hope this helps...........

Tinkicker

Stormynights
25th Jun 2008, 05:17
Thanks guys
was afraid of that

Icarus53
25th Jun 2008, 10:30
You can download the form for IR issue/renewal from the CASA website (Form 645) - the back page includes all the elements of the test. Lists knowledge requirements and then what must be demonstrated in the flight test and to what standard.

I wouldn't go for a renewal without running through that page to make sure I'm square on everything they can ask me.

YoungAggy
25th Jun 2008, 14:21
My rating lapsed for 13 years,No need to resit irex exam,but i bought "The command instrument rating"theory guide by Pilot & Aircrew Australia & a new set of documents ,maps & daps etc.Read the theory guide & did a few practice exams to get back up to speed - only took a few nights after work. I booked into a good flight school & did 3 nav training flights over 3 days,On the 4th day i did my rating test with external ATO.All in all a good experience,not nearly as hard as i had thought.The trick is to find a good flight school & instructor that flys IFR regularly. Go for it:ok:

Cessna Capt
25th Jun 2008, 14:27
my CIR has been out of date for 3 yrs now, so i'm having to do the intial test again

i've done most of training in a sim to save costs. It doesn't take long to get back up to speed.

All the best

Stormynights
25th Jun 2008, 22:17
Could i ask how many hours in flight/sim time you needed to do ?
And also approximate costs ?

Cheers

Stormy

Cessna Capt
26th Jun 2008, 09:54
i did about 4hrs sim, 5 in the aircraft if that helps

YoungAggy
26th Jun 2008, 12:44
I did 3 flights approx 2.5 hrs each -no sim available at the time so did it all in the air. i was able to use my own plane so cost wise only had to pay for instructor time and ground briefing time(best money i spent).Hardest thing was getting used to controlled airspace again & also working out how to fill in and file a flight plan.Years of Ag flying back of beyond with no radio,s,flightplans etc so many procedures had changed.I would think if you were fairly current on A/C and with airspace/terminal procedures it would be a fair bit easier. regards aggy:)