PDA

View Full Version : Trackbacks

mutt
25th Jun 2008, 02:31
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):

Just posted a new thread and noticed the inclusion of the above, what does it mean?

Mutt

ABX
25th Jun 2008, 03:28
I just noticed it too when replying to my own thread.

Here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/332194-pprune-stats.html).

Pontius Navigator
25th Jun 2008, 06:38
How about 'permalink' against the serial number?

I guess this is to keep references static if an entry is deleted.

Did you notice also that the mailbox size has increased markedly? First from 25/25 to, 50 then to 150 I think.

PS, wrong. I deleted post 3 and post 4 was renumbered. So, what is 'permalink'?

Senior Pilot
25th Jun 2008, 06:47
Click on any of the links at the bottom of the page, and all is explained (http://www.pprune.org/forums/misc.php?do=linkbacks#trackbacks) :ok:

ABX
25th Jun 2008, 09:28
Indeed it is SP, thank you.

ABX
25th Jun 2008, 09:39
Senior Pilot, further to my previous post, perhaps not all is explained, can you fill us in on the permalink function?

Cheers

Saab Dastard
25th Jun 2008, 10:17
ABX,

A permalink is a URL that points to a specific blog or forum entry after it has passed from the front page to the archives. Because a permalink remains unchanged indefinitely, it is less susceptible to link rot. Most modern weblogging and content-syndication software systems support such links. Other types of websites use permanent links, but the term permalink is most common within the blogosphere. Permalink is a portmanteau word made from permanent link. Permalinks are often simply stated so as to be human-readable.

It is all to do with the Site Engine Optimisation work that has been going on recently.

SD

ABX
25th Jun 2008, 11:44
Thanks Saab, that really clears it up for me. Where did you source that quote? I went back and searched the page Senior linked to and I couldn't find it.

Cheers:ok:

Saab Dastard
25th Jun 2008, 12:01
Wikipedia...

SD