View Full Version : Logbook

CRJ-220
25th Jun 2008, 01:17
Hey guys

I am just wondering if anyone knows about the logging time in your logbook when you fly at different country. I have NZCAA logbook but I heard that you can just log in the flight time if you fly at Australia. Is that legal?

I assume If I fly at countries like USA, Canada . I would have to buy their logbook to log the flight time. So for the guys who have flown many other countries do you own several logbooks?

Thank you

empacher48
25th Jun 2008, 01:24
When I converted my licence to and Aus one, they provided a copy of licences and ratings pages to glue into the back of my NZ logbook, and logged the time in that.

I know in NZ it doesn't matter what logbook you use, as long as you log the time as per CAR 61, and the CAA is able to see that your flight time has been certified as correct by yourself.

So you could use a NZCAA logbook, Jeppesen or whatever to log your time.

NZScion
25th Jun 2008, 06:41
I use a NZCAA logbook in Australia (converted my license). One small thing to note is that the CAA logbook doesn't have a column for SE ICUS, however if your column 16 is free, you can use this of course.

CRJ-220
11th Oct 2008, 06:44
hey so what about the country registration of the aircraft. Until now I only have been logging the registration for the aircraft itself e,g ABC , MMA, etc because it says on the front its NZ log book I didn't have to log country code.

but when I go over Aus do I log it with country reg as well? VH-ABC, VH-MMA? It's just that registration column is pretty small to even write 3 letters in will be bit small for 5-6 letters.

cheers

Lasiorhinus
11th Oct 2008, 07:37
I do precisely that. For all flying in VH-registered aircraft, i omit the VH, and just write the three-letter suffix. For all flying in ZK-registered aircraft (which is not all that often for me), I write the full registration including the ZK. Its not too hard to fit it in, you just need to either write a bit smaller, or accept that you'll go a bit outside the columns. Nothing wrong with that, either.

I had some time a while back where everything I flew was in N-registered aircraft, and was able to squeeze the numbers in, but I left off the N-, and annotated the whole section to the effect that flights between this and this date were in N-registered aircraft.

If you're making a permanent move to a new country, and most of your flying will now be in VH-registered aircraft, why not just rule a heavy line across your logbook, and annotate to the effect that flights above the line were in ZK- aircraft, and flights from this point on are in VH- aircraft?

DeltaT
11th Oct 2008, 11:07
SE ICUS?? What SE plane is multi crew?

I do as the others have suggested above, omit the country reg in each individual entry, but make like a title entry at the start seeing as all planes thereafter will be from that country. -Presuming you will be flying there a while.

Lasiorhinus
11th Oct 2008, 11:19
An aircraft does not require multi-crew ops for someone to log ICUS.

A company Ops Manual must specify the conditions in which ICUS is carried out, and if it so does, and the conditions are met, a pilot may log ICUS, regardless of the number of engines the aircraft carries.

DeltaT
11th Oct 2008, 13:19
under what conditions would a company have ICUS on a SE plane?

FRQ Charlie Bravo
11th Oct 2008, 15:43
under what conditions would a company have ICUS on a SE plane? It's not about multi-crew at all (that's where co-pilot time comes in). ICUS is just a very handy tool; it doesn't matter how many engines.

Some examples of SE or ME ICUS:
Check ride with the CP (ref CAR 5.40)
Initial
subsequent aircraft
special ops (night, special aerodrome, dropping etc)
periodical
post-incident
Getting hours up for insurance requirement (15 hours on type for a GA8)
Instrument currency/recency (under the hood; refer CAO 40.2.1 Para 13 (http://www.casa.gov.au/download/orders/cao40/400201.pdf#page=16))A very interesting thread on this, click here (http://www.pprune.org/d-g-general-aviation-questions/343093-legal-logging-icus.html).

On the matter at hand, logging of flights done in other countries. Firstly decide on a logbook which seems to best serve your purposes (if you'll be doing most of your flying in Aus then stick with a logbook based on the Australian rules/conventions). If you have the odd overseas flight there is no need to get a whole new book, just make the appropriate entries (you can easily fit an N rego in most Aus logbooks) definately make sure to keep the nationality mark there.

All that the Regs require of you is that you keep a record of your flights.

FRQ CB

Wyle E Coyote
12th Oct 2008, 03:54
a log book is a log book. the 5 letter rego fits in just fine. I've been doing it for years

you must log your time "in a manner suitable to the director" any book will do. If you can't produce a licence for the country code you've been logging, then you're stuffed.

.....and ICUS in a single? why? and who cares? that has to be as usefull as tits on a bull.

Hasselhof
12th Oct 2008, 05:16
A lot of people getting their first break have to do at least some ICUS in a single. The company I work for requires 15 hours on type for a C210 job, and unless you've got the dollars to build it up yourself, going ICUS with another company pilot for a few flights will meet the company requirements (either as per their insurance company or ops manual). Either way it still has to be logged.

DeltaT
12th Oct 2008, 08:21
Maybe this is a Australian thing. The examples you have listed would simply be logged as Dual or P1 in NZ. You can only both log the time if one of you is an Instructor.

flog
12th Oct 2008, 09:53
under what conditions would a company have ICUS on a SE plane?

PC-12, Caravan, 750 XL,m lots of fancy commercial ops running around single engine where you could log some nice turbine SE ICUS time if you need it.

DeltaT
14th Oct 2008, 00:31
Ok, point taken. Still think its a waste of time trying to get ICUS on a SE!
Part 1d below, was kinda what I was getting at, but perhaps part 2 gets around it, typical law stuff.

In Command Under Supervision
(ICUS) The conditions for logging of ICUS are at CAR 5.40 and include the following:
(1) A person may fly an aircraft as pilot acting in command under supervision only if:
(a) the person holds:
(i) a commercial pilot licence or an air transport pilot licence; or
(i) a certificate of validation that has effect as if it were a commercial pilot licence or an air transport pilot licence; and
(b) the person holds an aircraft endorsement that authorises him or her to fly the aircraft as pilot in command; and
(c) if the person proposes to carry out an activity for which a flight crew rating is required—the person holds a flight crew rating, or grade of flight crew rating, that permits him or her to carry out that activity as pilot in command of the aircraft concerned; and
(d) the person is the co-pilot of the aircraft; and
(e) the operator of the aircraft permits the person to fly the aircraft as pilot acting in command under supervision; and
(f) the pilot in command of the aircraft is appointed for the purpose by the operator of the aircraft. Penalty: 10 penalty units.

(2) The operator of an aircraft may permit a person to fly an aircraft as pilot acting in command only if:
(a) the person holds:
(i) a commercial pilot licence, or an air transport pilot licence, that authorises him or her to fly the aircraft; or
(ii) a certificate of validation that has effect as if it were such a licence; and
(b) the person holds an endorsement that authorises him or her to fly the aircraft as pilot in command; and
(c) if the person carries out an activity for which a flight crew rating is required—the person holds a flight crew rating, or grade of flight crew rating, that permits him or her to carry out that activity as pilot in command of the aircraft concerned.