PDA

View Full Version : CASA Is Watching You Up North!

Sunfish
24th Jun 2008, 22:28
All youse Top End Pilots and Engineers!

You have just been warned by the ABC.

CASA to review northern Aust air safety

Posted 1 hour 0 minutes ago
Updated 48 minutes ago

CASA says inspectors are checking 60 locations throughout northern parts of Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia.

CASA says inspectors are checking 60 locations throughout northern parts of Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia. (AAP: Mick Tsikas)

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) has launched a month-long review of operations across northern Australia to identify any breaches of safety standards.

CASA officials are conducting unannounced checks at airstrips throughout northern parts of Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia.

The tests will be carried out over the next four weeks and will gauge how safety is addressed - pinpointing general issues within the industry.

CASA spokesman Peter Gibson says inspectors are checking 60 locations from large centres to remote agricultural and mining operations.

"We also want to talk to the aviation industry about air safety issues," he said.

"To offer support, education and training, to make sure that air safety remains at the highest standard."

He says detailed safety checks are also to be carried out on aviation staff including pilots and engineers.

tinpis
24th Jun 2008, 22:36
The Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) has launched a month-long review of operations across northern Australia to identify any breaches of safety standards.

Nice climate up here this time of year compared to Canberra. :ok:

Mr.Buzzy
24th Jun 2008, 23:46
Spot on Tin!
Storms scare them away.....

bbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzz

Green gorilla
25th Jun 2008, 01:34
Tinpis dead on never seen Casa in December.

tail wheel
25th Jun 2008, 02:16
CASA officials are conducting CASA officials are conducting unannounced checks at airstrips throughout northern parts of Queensland, the Northern Territory and Western Australia.

"..unannounced checks.."

And they put out a Press Release???? :confused: :confused: :confused:

OpsNormal
25th Jun 2008, 03:46
Not only that tail wheel, they've probably spammed half the pilot population with this email:

Northern Australian air safety sweep

CASA will have an increased presence throughout Northern Australia during June and July 2008 with a fixed wing and helicopter team operating in Northern Queensland, the Northern Territory and Kimberley.

If you have any questions regarding this activity, please contact the Manager of Safety Oversight, John Bromley, via email at [email protected]

More information is available on the CASA website:
Media release - Northern Australian Air Safety Sweep (http://www.casa.gov.au/media/2008/08-06-24.htm)

unpressurised
25th Jun 2008, 04:06
gotta love pprune
lets notify each other where they have been and where they are going so us base pilots can have a bit of a heads up and stay one step ahead when casa come through :)

Monopole
25th Jun 2008, 04:52
If you have the required and completed docs, flight plan, within balance and not over weight you have nobody to stay ahead of :ugh:

VH-XXX
25th Jun 2008, 04:54
You should be concerned that they are going to knock on the door on any day of the week! CASA do "random" checks all the time. A press release like that is merely aimed at enhancing the public's perception of them.

desmotronic
25th Jun 2008, 06:17
Qantas is having the biggest engineering melt down in history and these jokers are running around the tropics ramping cessnas robbos and lames. Agree with tinpis it's bloody cold in Canberra!

What a crock!

tail wheel
25th Jun 2008, 06:45
Monopole. The point I was subtly trying to make is why would CASA plan "unannounced checks", then announce it to the world, including the time line of "over the next four weeks"?

One can only guess that they don't intend to find too much!

rmcdonal
25th Jun 2008, 08:53
The only Ramp check I have EVER had was in the NT at a private Dirt strip. Aircraft was U/Sd due to an air bubble in the Compass (I’m talking match head size). The CASA inspector was trying to impress me with his volumes of experience into dirt strips by "advising me on techniques to use to prevent damage to the elevator"..... NO SH!T Sherlock! As if I didn’t already know as I have twice his total hours, half into dirt strips.
With hined sight I would have denied being a pilot and hidden the Aircraft Keys.

CASA should be there to help advise pilots on the safe course of action and to stop dodgy operators, not harras pilots to make themselves feel better. But hey I suppose If I find myself out of a job and no operator will employ me, then I too will become a CASA god. :yuk::yuk::yuk:

ZEEBEE
25th Jun 2008, 10:07
CASA should be there to help advise pilots on the safe course of action and to stop dodgy operators, not harras pilots to make themselves feel better. But hey I suppose If I find myself out of a job and no operator will employ me, then I too will become a CASA god.
Today 06:45

Remember CASA's motto.....

We're not happy til you're not happy :ok:

multime
25th Jun 2008, 10:52
I,M FROM CASA, AND I,M HERE TO HELP ?
M:eek:

flying-spike
25th Jun 2008, 11:43
Nothing like an educated argument. There is no field office in Canberra. You will find the inspectors are from Perth,Darwin, Townsville and Brisbane.

As for bleating about being given some advice on looking after the elevators and then saying they should be out and about giving advice?....It beggers belief

Monopole
25th Jun 2008, 14:21
Tail Wheel, I caught your drift.

My comment was directed to unpressurised lets notify each other where they have been and where they are going so us base pilots can have a bit of a heads up and stay one step ahead when casa come through I have been ramped numerous times, and either I am a good boy, or have just been caught on a good day, but I have never been nervous when I have heard "Hi I am Bloggs from CASA and I would like to have a look over your rig".......

Do your job properly, and you wont have any trouble.

SIUYA
25th Jun 2008, 21:44
rmcdonal............

Aircraft was U/Sd due to an air bubble in the Compass (I’m talking match head size).

CASA AWB 34-5 Issue 1:

CASA has become aware of inconsistencies regarding the maintenance of direct reading magnetic compasses. Specifically, the refilling of the compass where during the 3 yearly inspections called out by AD/INST/8 or 9, or any other inspection, it is observed that the fluid is either discoloured or there is a noticeable bubble, or bubbles, in the compass fluid.

CAO 108.6 Issue 2:

6.1.(1)(b) bubbles, excessive sediment and discolouration shall not be present in the [compass] liquid;

Looks to me like the CASA inspector was just doing his job and correctly applying the requirements of CAO 108.6 and AWB 34-5.:ooh:

The CASA inspector was trying to impress me with his volumes of experience into dirt strips by "advising me on techniques to use to prevent damage to the elevator"..... NO SH!T Sherlock! As if I didn’t already know as I have twice his total hours, half into dirt strips.

I presume from your statement that you asked the CASA inspector about his flying experience, and that's how you are able to substantiate the claim that you had twice his hours? :rolleyes: If so, then great tactic (NOT). It looks to me like a bad 'attitude problem' perhaps influenced your perceptions about your 'only' CASA ramp check 'experience'?

Sorry to say, but as flying-spike suggests, your post beggars belief. :mad:

And NO, I don't work for CASA, and never have.

rotaryman
25th Jun 2008, 21:57
The CASA Boys Club!

Were Not Happy, Till your not Happy:eek:

ForkTailedDrKiller
25th Jun 2008, 22:54
Is any flying career in Oz really complete until you have been threatened with $40k in fines and 8 years gaol by the Cretins Against Safe Aviation?

Dr :8

SIUYA
25th Jun 2008, 23:50
FTDK..........

Is any flying career in Oz really complete until you have been threatened with $40k in fines and 8 years gaol by the Cretins Against Safe Aviation?

I don't know about that.........by the time I completed my 38 year flying, I'd never been threatened with fines OR gaol by DCA, DOT, or CASA. :8

Maybe they weren't paying particular attention of what I was doing, so what were you doing that p1ssed them off so much? :}

Just joking! :}

MR. PROACH
26th Jun 2008, 03:46
Death upon rotation!!!

(umm, referring to above).

tinpis
26th Jun 2008, 04:04
In de top end its...

DEATH BY BOONGAH ! http://www.augk18.dsl.pipex.com/Smileys/cannibal.gif

Stationair8
26th Jun 2008, 04:36
How you know CASA FOI's are at your local aerodrome conducting ramp checks etc:

1. Normally a twin engine aircraft will arrive in the circuit area unannounced because the FOI flying forget to broadcast on that CTAF thingy, or used the wrong frequency,

2. FOI most likely will fly some strange circuit direction that does not appear in the ERSA

3. Centre will be calling some aircraft trying to get them to cancel SAR ,

4. Ramp Checks will only be conducted between 9am and 4.30 pm, and not between the hours of 11.45 am and 13.15 pm to allow for lunch break etc,

5. Just remember most CASA FOI's are good blokes who are just doing their job, but unfortunately a few are legends in their own lunch boxes or couldn't hold a job down in GA, or just like to be smart p****ks or have a high opinion of themselves.

rotaryman
26th Jun 2008, 04:50
Don't think i have ever met 2 FOI's who could agree on the same interpetation of the regs.:{

Its a boys club and when they choose to make things personal, well that really gets up my nose...:eek:

Oxygen thieves the lot of em..

Kanga767
26th Jun 2008, 05:52
Will they be armed with breath test units I wonder?

K

rmcdonal
26th Jun 2008, 09:31
SIUYA,
I was not aware that any bubble in the compass made it U/S, I have on several occasions by different engineers been told otherwise, however as you have a reference to a CAO I will just work of the engineers having a differing opinion of the regs then CASA. :O
As for asking the Inspector for his hrs, no I did not ask, he just told me. As for being sarcastic about his comments, to me at the time it like having someone tell you to keep your wings level in order to fly straight and level, yes it was advise, yes it is useful, however not exactly appropriate for me. In hind sight I will concede that the inspector may not have known my experience and was making his own judgment. (Note: I am not claiming to know all, just enough to keep from hitting the ground to hard, and generally arriving on time).

I was never audited again because after that event I have avoided with great care having to deal with CASA. The several times I have conversed with them they simply affirmed my opinion (perhaps with the exception of 1). :ugh:

If they had really wanted to help out and get a feel for the industry they where trying to police then perhaps actually having been it themselves fist may have been a good start.

flying-spike
26th Jun 2008, 10:30
Next time CASA advertise and FOI position have a look at the experience requirements and you will be surprised to see that they are required to have extensive industry experience and contrary to some opinions even the ex-military guys have considerable civilian experience.

I just wonder why you can't mention a individual or organisations name in a questionably disparaging manner without incurring the wrath of the moderators yet it is open slather on the regulator. Don't you think that one day they may get a bit fed up with the garbage that is let loose here and take a class action? Seems to me to be a bit of a double standard being applied.

Stationair8
26th Jun 2008, 10:48
You must be wearing your rose coloured glasses Flying-Spike, or you moved to the dark side?

CASA/CAA/DOT/DCA has always been a closed shop jobs for mates.

I came a number individual's that basically came out of the RAF/RAAF/RN/RAN/Army and straight into a job as a FOI's, probably in reality there GA time was done when converting their licences etc and a few couldn't pass the Australian SCPL/ATPL so they went and did FAA ATPL.

flying-spike
26th Jun 2008, 11:03
No rose coloured glasses, I just know enough about CASA. As you know I had a fair bit to do with flying ops people when I was flying for a living and was an emloyee of the CAA before I went flying.
In the not too distant past there were a lot of ex-military types that did have little if any civilian experience but there is a definite shift away from that now. So much of a shift that a lot have left CASA because they are uncomfortable with the change. You will probably see a lot of different faces doing ramp checks now and, I believe, a bit of a different attitude towards the job by the inspectorate. This isn't to say that there isn't a need to enforce the regulations but that the emphasis is on a safe outcome.
As for the "dark side". It's all peace, light and happiness where I am!:ok:

AussieNick
26th Jun 2008, 12:59
offered them a ride in the "doctor killer" :}

neville_nobody
26th Jun 2008, 14:04
Had a FOI once in a ramp check who didn't know what a Landing Weight Limited TOW was! He tried to get stuck into me about it, wasted about 10 minutes explaining that if we took off at the MTOW the aircraft would land overweight
Unbelievable :ugh:

Counter-rotation
26th Jun 2008, 21:06
Stationair 8 and Rotary Man, yep I agree with you guys.

Every FOI I've ever dealt with has had his own interpretation of the Regs that they're supposed to be enforcing. This has lead in every instance to an attitude of "what I say goes", and you couldn't talk to 'em at all. None of 'em showed any interest in meaningful safety whatsoever. My favorite write-up was rusty screws in the tailcone of a C210...

So the Regs are sh!t, well glory-be, guess who's responsible for them too.

Doc (post #19), you got it right except for the "C" part...

CR. :yuk:

Sunfish
26th Jun 2008, 21:29
Geez, I didn't know that this was a can of worms. In all my interactions with CASA, they have been pleasant and helpful.

But then I follow the rules, and therefore have nothing to fear:E

It would be interesting to hear some first hand experiences that come out of this program.

ForkTailedDrKiller
27th Jun 2008, 01:08
Suiya, I had clean slate for 34 years until I unexpectedly tangled with CASA's gestapo-like approach to regulation last year.

I have related the story on Ppruine before so I won't go into it again here.

However, you can be sure that I will be making a detailed submission to the Senate inquiry into CASA.

For a regulator to be respected, it must behave in a manner that deserves respect. Some of the posts here and the recent history of aviation regulation in Australia are the reason that, in general, there is little repect among pilots for CASA.

Guys I'm qurious that what are the fines like if you do get ramped and found to be overweight..

yahoooooo, If my experience is any indication you will most likely be threatened with mandatory punitive penalties that will get your attention ($k's in fines and gaol time) and then be offered an "administrative fine" of a couple of hundred dollars.

dhavillandpilot
27th Jun 2008, 02:23
At the start of my flying career was with DCA, Miss Gilltrap used to sign all the endirsements and when you stuffed up you were invited in for a chat.

The chat consisted of a cup of tea, a proper dressing down like a parent to a child then a resonable explaination of what you should have done.

End result was, you left a better pilot and had respect for the organisation that was overseeing the flying. (Only ever got invited in once).

NO THE DARK SIDE

CASA early 90's filled full of misguided unemployable "Pilots" (using thwe word loosely. As an example (no names no pack drill)

We operated an aircraft over 5700kgs. Our FOI designate was not endorsed on type. When we endorsed a pilot with around 2000 hours TT they use to take around 8 hours of flying and taxy time. Then 50 hours ICUS for command - with out exception all the pilots we endorsed were within these parameters. HOWEVER NOT THE CASA FOI

This particular individual took 8 hours taxy time before the actual air time training. This went on for quiet a while. Finally the FOI was given an endorsement. BUT HERES THE CATCH

His flight training records were endorsed by our Training Captain with teh following words

"......this pilot is not to act as pilot in command except with the written permission of either the Chief Pilot of C & T Pilot. Further any flight undertaken in command must be with the left hand seat being occupied by an endorsed Captain with 200 hours on type."

I still have a copy of his file, just in case.

As a post script this particular FOI has no retired.:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

rotaryman
27th Jun 2008, 04:59
dhavillandpilot:

Said FOI was he working at the Cairns Area Office?

Torres
27th Jun 2008, 06:42
rotaryman.

You're not thinking of the Cairns FOI that did a C310 endorsement then set off for Horn Island are you?

Once in cruise he changed to AUX, around Cooktown realised he didn't have enough gravy to reach Horn so returned to Cairns and wanted to US the aircraft for faulty fuel gauges!! :E :E

If so, I think he's somewhere in NSW.

dhavillandpilot
27th Jun 2008, 07:45
:)Rotaryman

No he was based in southern part of Australia. If I say any more the thought policy and the libel courts are a possibility. BUT

He knows who he is as does a great number of people in his previous region. The best part is he knows of the existence of the file and the copies held by various people.

Life is good when you can see him in the pub and look across and smile.:):)

Torres
28th Jun 2008, 00:47
Plane crash dad's fury

Caitriona Murtagh

Friday, June 27, 2008

The Cairns Post (http://www.cairns.com.au/article/2008/06/27/4988_local-news.html)

THE father of Lockhart River air crash victim Sally Urquhart says the Civil Aviation Safety Authority's proposed spot checks are a cruel farce.

This week CASA announced it would carry out checks on aviation operators, aerodromes and airstrips in the Far North, including Cairns, in a bid to improve safety.

But Shane Urquhart, whose daughter Sally was one of 13 passengers to die in the 2005 Lockhart River crash, said news of the sweep "astounded and appalled" him and had given substandard airline operators advance notice of the inspections.

Mr Urquhart branded the operation a "sickening performance… wholly consistent with the deceit, dishonesty and contempt that CASA has displayed towards victims’ families".

"It is a cynical and blatant attempt by CASA to divert attention away from the forthcoming Senate inquiry into its multitude of failures to monitor and regulate the aviation industry," Mr Urquhart said in a statement issued on
behalf of victims' families.

Advance warning of CASA visits would give substandard operators a chance to "get their acts together", Mr
Urquhart predicted.

"This will enable CASA to say to the inquiry that due (to) its monitoring and regulation, compliance levels are high and that therefore, its efforts are working," he said.

But CASA's Peter Gibson said the exercise had been planned since January, well before the inquiry was
announced.

"It's taken many months to organise. It just happens that it's starting this week," he said.

"It's complete coincidence."

The announcement was made to avoid rumours spreading through the industry about the nature of the visits, he said.

"There will still be a major element of surprise," he said.

"We wanted to make it clear we’re doing this exercise and we'll be in your area, without giving any indication of when."

For information about submissions to the inquiry into the administration of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority phone 02 6277 3511.

ForkTailedDrKiller
28th Jun 2008, 00:57
Without wanting to make light of the Lockhart R tragedy, in which I lost a colleague, I am sure that CASA will count me among the "cowboys" it has cleaned up in northern Australia.

This just makes those responsbile all the more pathetic!

the wizard of auz
28th Jun 2008, 01:27
Geez, I didn't know that this was a can of worms. In all my interactions with CASA, they have been pleasant and helpful.

But then I follow the rules, and therefore have nothing to fear

And I guess having a newly printed PPL and ten minutes in the industry would help as well.

Been ramped 3 times in 16 years of flying. two times were in Asian country's and basically an inspection as to how many US dollars I was carrying at the time, and the one in Australia was a comprehensive document inspection. It was done quickly, politely and efficiently. (unlike the noisy threatening affairs I endured after refusing the Asian inspectors invitation to pay my way out of the inspections).

youngmic
28th Jun 2008, 03:37
"It's taken many months to organise. It just happens that it's starting this week," he said.

Months ay, probably many workshops and lectures to attend in the art of plane spotting:rolleyes:

rotaryman
29th Jun 2008, 04:01
dhavillandpilot:

O.k The idiot i was refering to is now based in Brisvegas..along with the Boys Club there...:}

Kinda reminds me of the time a certain senior FOI visited by flying in on a Robinson R44 with Fixed Floats.

After ramp checks etc, i say so mr &*^ were you off to now?

FOI says oh thought i might drop in on that lake over yonder for a spot of fishing from the machine...:eek:

I said, well you know you can't land on water with that helicopter, FOI says, of course i can, its got %^$&ing Floats on it..

I said yea but the Flight Manual says, only in emergency!!!:ugh:

FOI, were does it say that?? i said try the flight manual ...********..

I am sure we could all relay storis like this one, and CASA wonders why there is no respect..:ugh::ugh:

the wizard of auz
29th Jun 2008, 11:26
Wasn't it a couple of our esteemed FOI's that not just once, but twice flipped Craig's floaties in Kunnas?. :eek:

Hasselhof
5th Jul 2008, 12:18
Well they're definitely up here and around about. Got ramped at YJAB today. They were very professional and friendly enough (no real reason for them to be otherwise), got myself a free pen and squidgy toy aeroplane out of it to play with on the next leg.

Justin Grogan
5th Jul 2008, 14:48
UFOs invade NT town

A small Territory community is still reeling with shock after four UFOs descended on their Outback homes.

Families spent hours in fear as what appeared to be three spaceships hovered in the distance with another just metres above their houses.

The drama at Marlinja, population 112 and 730km south of Darwin, began at 8pm on Sunday.

Resident Janie Dixon said it started as an "ordinary" night.

"The kids were on the basketball courts, shooting a few hoops, and I was indoors talking to my two nieces when we heard a strange, loud noise," she said.

"We ran outside but at first we couldn't see anything -- it was really dark and we could hear the sound.

"The sound was horrible. It sounded like something was going past.

"We thought it was a jet. I saw what I thought at first was the evening star, the first star you usually see at night.

"But then we saw three red lights in the distance, and the sound kept getting louder.

"The ground felt like it was shaking, so we ran inside and shut the doors.

"My nephew and niece were looking out through curtains. The thing came closer, circled around the basketball courts and then came so close above our house.

"The kids at the basketball courts ran -- two girls stood there looking towards the sky.

"They tried to see what it was but all they could see was this bright red light in the pitch black."

Ms Dixon said the UFO hovered above the homes for what seemed like a couple of hours.

She said at one stage the phone rang, but went dead when she tried to answer it.

"Then the light in the house became so bright, it was like we were sitting in a football stadium," she said.

"After a while, after the things all disappeared... I think it was about 11pm by then.

"We went outside and were just sitting around drinking tea and talking about it all. The kids were put to bed.

"We heard the noise again and it came back, but disappeared again moments later.

"We were all really frightened.

"It was a big shock and I couldn't sleep."

The Australian UFO Research Network has about 40 people across the country ready for a co-ordinated effort.
Network national director Diane Frola said there had been more than 35 sightings in the past seven weeks.

Source: The Sunday Territorian
www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/06/27/4503_ntnews.html (http://www.ntnews.com.au/article/2008/06/27/4503_ntnews.html)

CASA's Peter Gibson says the Darwin Office of CASA is ideally suited to handle this situation.

"Our local office here is viewed as the most paranormal in the country"

The timing of CASA's response to the extraterrestrial beat ups with the Senate inquiry into CASA is also defended strongly by the CASA spokesman.

""It's complete coincidence. Further, it is cynical to suggest that CASA has arranged the Big Day Out ramp checks to extend to extraterrestrial operations in order to strengthen our submissions to the inquiry. ET has been on our radar now for some twelve months." :E

Alice Kiwican
6th Jul 2008, 05:13
Surprise surprise CASA were (maybe still are) on Horn ramping people late last week.Having said that they seemed to be concentrating on the Troppo's boys! I'd have thought that these boys would have all there ducks in a row and CASA would be wasting their time ramping them so soon after they resumed flying! The other operators up on Horn will be relieved that they appear not to be in CASA's sights on this trip!

Unhinged
6th Jul 2008, 06:18
The other operators up on Horn will be relieved that they appear not to be in CASA's sights on this trip!

From what I've seen and heard they've spread the love around all the operators. They paid us a couple of fairly thorough visits, with only smiles and handshakes at the end, TG ! I also heard rumours of two (non-AeroTropics) aircraft that they grounded.

So it seems like they're doing the rounds pretty well.

Monday is rumoured for their departure, but I wouldn't count on it.