PDA

View Full Version : MS Word used for JAR OPS manual

TheDrop
25th Jan 2001, 23:09
Implementing JAR OPS, we are using MS Word for this. This is a question about revisions on different pages. Our JAR OPS manual has the mandatory given chapters, and it has been divided into 22 Word sections (some of the 14 chapters are divided into more sections). In the footer of each page is the revision number and the page number, amongst other information, like the title of the chapter, company name etc.

BUT, as the footer (and also header, as well as watermarks) are the same in the entire section, changing the revision number on one single page, changes the revision number on all other pages in the same section. This means, that changing a single page could imply changing the entire chapter - maybe 20 or 30 pages, then chapter 0 (currently 22 pages!) will need to be revised, as it contains the current revision list, so all these 22 pages must also be updated. And this is not possible, as all revised pages must show what changes are made, so changing an entire chapter will make it impossible for the user to track what changes are actually made ...

I have not been able to find a fix for this. All I can think of is dividing the 200+ pages into equally 200+ sections, with "continue pagination from last section" on all pages except when the pages really must start from number 1 again, as they do now in the present 22 sections.

So tell me, what else is there to do ? Is it impossible to do this in MS Word ? Is it possible in other word processors, like Adobe Acrobat ? If yes, is it a hassle to convert from Word to Adobe, as we have our revision "ORG" all finished and approived ?

The optimal word processing for us would (in addition to what Word 97 already does) automatically take care of

* Indexing, both normal index and alphabetic sorted index (less important)

* Revisions, including automated revision list

* Revision functions like "Print all pages changed since last revision" or "Print all pages of revision 004". Also, it should be able to print a current OPS manual at any time, with all pages on latest revision and the revision index updated.

* Insertion of extra pages would allow for page ie 11A, 11B etc, so page 12 and forward need not be changed because of renumbering.

* Optional line unique for each page, where change comments can be made if necessary, ie "Updated according to JAR OPS change" or whatever comment might be appropriate.

Please someone help - I am sure we are not the only company experiencing this problem ...

Flypuppy
25th Jan 2001, 23:35
You aren't the only company that experiences this problem. Welcome to the wonderful world of MS Weird 97. The footer section is an automated feature in Word and as such there are the usual problems with it.

Word isnt really up to the task of handling big documents and if you are going to be making various updates and version changes you will need to consider a more powerful doc management system.

The first one that springs to mind is FrameMaker, which is produced by Adobe. This is a big boys publishing tool which allows for alot more possibilities than Word. I am currently trying to implement a new publishing system in my department (I manage the documentation dept for a software company), and can maybe pass along some ideas. If you want to drop me an email we can cry into our coffee together.

[This message has been edited by Flypuppy (edited 25 January 2001).]

spannersatcx
26th Jan 2001, 01:39
From MS word 2000 help not sure if this is what you want, but here it is anyway...

Create a different header or footer for part of a document
When you create a header or footer, Word automatically uses the same header or footer throughout the entire document. To create a different header or footer for part of a document, divide the document into sections, and then break the connection between the header or footer in the current section and the previous one.

If you haven't done so already, insert a section break where you want to start a new section that contains a different header or footer.
How?

Click in the section for which you want to create a different header or footer.

On the View menu, click Header and Footer.

If necessary, move to the header or footer you want to change.
How?

On the Header and Footer toolbar, click Same as Previous .

Change the existing header or footer, or create a new one for this section.
How?

Word automatically makes the same changes to the headers or footers for all subsequent sections.

To create a different header or footer for a subsequent section, repeat steps 1 through 6.

TheDrop
26th Jan 2001, 11:35
I am fully aware of that and as stated above, our manual has been divided into 22 sections. But all headers and footers are the same within each section (apart from pagination). This means that changing one page in a section changes the entire section.

We need to be able to put a unique revision on each page, not entire sections. IF we turn to the tedious task of making each page a section, thus making each header unique, ... no, that's too much work - virtually impossible to look after.

If nobody has a clue (maybe a new feature in Word 2000 ?), then we will turn to another word processor.

TheDrop
26th Jan 2001, 13:50
I think I found the solution ...

"Footnotes" are the clue - the can be assigned to each individual page. Needs some initial work, and it is not the perfect solution, but better than revising entire chapters/sections ...

an added "bonus" is that a list of all footnotes can be used for direct comparison/control of "list of effecitve pages" ...